Hey, Just got an update via G+ from Maria Dyatlova (Shape Services) she says they have just received an update from RIM. They are in the final approval stage and should have it complete in 5 - 10 days.

Maybe this long, sad chapter can finally be closed...

Cheers,
    therapyreject174 and M.Rizk like this.
    08-01-11 09:37 AM
    Glad to see this may be coming to a close. Don't personally have any interest in an IM app other than BBM, but it was definitely not a good situation and made RIM look bad.
    08-01-11 09:46 AM
    A month ago this was supposed to be 2 weeks. Now another 10 days. I'm glad ShapeServices had the patience to wait, but this still tells developers that they are hobbled by RIMMs inadequacies.

Devs need income, taking this long to get into the revune stream after development time is going to keep people from even spending the resources needed to develope quality applications.
    08-01-11 09:51 AM
    do you know if it will be free or paid?
    08-01-11 09:57 AM
    do you know if it will be free or paid?
    Early price estimates were at $19.99. Too rich for my blood lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    AutoPilot2020 likes this.
    08-01-11 10:22 AM
    You guys didn't learn from aMail? Maybe you should wait until we get the App to blame RIM. Might be a reason it wasn't released. Even then, if it was a great App, we wouldn't really even know what the hold up was.

That said, I cant believe people are so excited for a pay messaging App.
    08-01-11 10:24 AM
    I love IM and will be happy to pay for a app that lets me take advantage of Yahoo, google, AOL, and Skype. I do agree $19 is a big number and I hope Shape is going to put it in a price range that people are willing to pay.
    08-01-11 10:35 AM
    Sorry, as of yet I do not have any information on price. They usually offer a paid and free/ad supported version. With the PB though, I am not sure.
    M.Rizk likes this.
    08-01-11 10:51 AM
    They should change the title of the app to "Finally IM+ for Playbook"
    M.Rizk likes this.
    08-01-11 12:12 PM
    You guys didn't learn from aMail? Maybe you should wait until we get the App to blame RIM. Might be a reason it wasn't released. Even then, if it was a great App, we wouldn't really even know what the hold up was.

That said, I cant believe people are so excited for a pay messaging App.
    I have it on my Bold and will have it on the PB as well. To each their own.

This was/is completely different then what happened with aMail. Not even close.

Shape forgot to put the EULA in but RIM never told them this. Even after
    Shape repeatedly tried to contact them. RIM also told me that no one has created an IM app for the PlayBook. So not the same at all.

RIM dropped the ball for real on this one. aMail dropped it themselves.

Read the forums a little more carefully then it appears you have...just a friendly suggestion.

Tim
    OniBerry and BrokenSaint like this.
    08-01-11 12:25 PM
    I have it on my Bold and will have it on the PB as well. To each their own.

This was/is completely different then what happened with aMail. Not even close.

Shape forgot to put the EULA in but RIM never told them this. Even after
    Shape repeatedly tried to contact them. RIM also told me that no one has created an IM app for the PlayBook. So not the same at all.

RIM dropped the ball for real on this one. aMail dropped it themselves.

Read the forums a little more carefully then it appears you have...just a friendly suggestion.

Tim
    I have higher priorities than to study forums all day for Apps I would never pay for. I just find it amusing its always RIM's fault. Same head hunting went on in the drawn out aMail thread. The App was just a bomb. Here we have the same thing, except SHAPE admits they forgot something. That isn't RIM's fault. Blame should go both ways on this one. I just find it amusing.

Going back to my "other" priorities now. My 10 minutes of CB is over.

08-01-11 01:41 PM
    What is the real story with AMail? What happened? Could someone fill me in?
    I always see people here referencing "something" that happened to AMail but no one will ever elaborate and explain what was really behind their "disappearance."
    AutoPilot2020 likes this.
    08-01-11 03:25 PM
    What is the real story with AMail? What happened? Could someone fill me in?
    I always see people here referencing "something" that happened to AMail but no one will ever elaborate and explain what was really behind their "disappearance."
    Summed up what happen was amail decided to let people side load their app as a trial and eventually if the customer liked the app they could buy it for a fee. The customer would purchase through paypal and would eventually recieve an activation code. It seemed to work originally but after a while the developer just dissapeared, the activation server started screwing up and the app didn't really function the way it was supposed to. There were no updates or anything to help fix the app ultimately screwing a bunch of people over who had purchased the app. An app with great potential got left out to dry, people think a bunch of different things:

1. The developer cashed out and said screw it.
    2. Rim bought the rights for their email.
    3. Rim shut the developer down since they were charging to sideload.

I am sure there are more rumors floating around but in all honesty we don't really know what happen and its more of a case of 1 bad egg in the batch. I doubt all developers would do this but the one has given several people a bitter taste about buying an app that needs to be sideloaded.
    Last edited by erandhawa; 08-01-11 at 05:11 PM.
    dasDestruktion likes this.
    08-01-11 05:09 PM
    Summed up what happen was amail decided to let people side load their app as a trial and eventually if the customer liked the app they could buy it for a fee. The customer would purchase through paypal and would eventually recieve an activation code. It seemed to work originally but after a while the developer just dissapeared, the activation server started screwing up and the app didn't really function the way it was supposed to. There were no updates or anything to help fix the app ultimately screwing a bunch of people over who had purchased the app. An app with great potential got left out to dry, people think a bunch of different things:

1. The developer cashed out and said screw it.
    2. Rim bought the rights for their email.
    3. Rim shut the developer down since they were charging to sideload.

I am sure there are more rumors floating around but in all honesty we don't really know what happen and its more of a case of 1 bad egg in the batch. I doubt all developers would do this but the one has given several people a bitter taste about buying an app that needs to be sideloaded.
    [+thanks]
    Yikes! I missed all of that!
    08-01-11 06:00 PM
    A month ago this was supposed to be 2 weeks. Now another 10 days. I'm glad ShapeServices had the patience to wait, but this still tells developers that they are hobbled by RIMMs inadequacies.

Devs need income, taking this long to get into the revune stream after development time is going to keep people from even spending the resources needed to develope quality applications.
    Why am I not suprised that there's yet more delays with this app? To be honest, I'm suprised that Shape. is even willing to stick around with RIM. Can't say I'm suprised at this. It fits in with the nomenaclature of "delaybook".

As for cost, where did the $19.99 cost come in? I'm surprised that it would be this much but it wont stop me from purchasing the app once (if) it becomes available. Heck, if they've managed to incorporated the use of video chat within the program, I'll consider $19.99 a bargain!
    vicks80 likes this.
    08-02-11 07:35 PM
    I have higher priorities than to study forums all day for Apps I would never pay for. I just find it amusing its always RIM's fault. Same head hunting went on in the drawn out aMail thread. The App was just a bomb. Here we have the same thing, except SHAPE admits they forgot something. That isn't RIM's fault. Blame should go both ways on this one. I just find it amusing.

Please do. thanks.

Tim
    08-02-11 09:00 PM

And yet you've managed to write 1621 posts since you've joined, if they're all in the same uninformed and demeaning fashion as the one above, I'd say your priority should be with actually reading these forums for a change.
    08-03-11 11:41 PM
    Its coming its coming
    08-04-11 12:20 AM
    rdm got released by shape maybe im+ is close behind it.
    08-04-11 12:31 PM
    Hey, Just got an update via G+ from Maria Dyatlova (Shape Services) she says they have just received an update from RIM. They are in the final approval stage and should have it complete in 5 - 10 days.

Maybe this long, sad chapter can finally be closed...

Cheers,
    I got a reply from Maria on the Shape Services forum and she said she can't confirm any of this, and it's all up to RIM. Then again, for $19.99, I don't think I'm too excited about this app right now.

IM+ Forum • View topic - IM+ for the Blackberry Playbook
    08-05-11 07:30 AM
    I got a reply from Maria on the Shape Services forum and she said she can't confirm any of this, and it's all up to RIM. Then again, for $19.99, I don't think I'm too excited about this app right now.

IM+ Forum • View topic - IM+ for the Blackberry Playbook
    Yes she did. She posted on Google+ August 1st, 2011

https://plus.google.com/103256603922535646585/posts
    08-05-11 08:39 AM
    I have to admit it is well worth the $10

It is pretty smooth and controls are great!

Thumbs up over here
    08-05-11 10:21 AM
    it would be worth the 10$ if we ever saw it, wonder if crackberry will do a follow up to their original im+ report?
    08-23-11 07:45 PM
    So, 23 days ago it was another "5-10 days"...
    ericlc2 likes this.
    08-23-11 11:01 PM
    Yes. For RIM, tomorrow as they say, never comes.

They seem to be just guessing on anything that appears to resemble a timeline.
    08-24-11 09:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD