I already know how to access my PB files using my PC over my home WiFi. But how do I do the reverse? Is there maybe a PC program I can install that acts like a server that I can type in an IP address in playbook browser for a browser based file explorer UI?

Another thing that's been stumping me is how to do peer to peer, mobile to mobile file transfering from my android phone's files TO my playbook without being connected to the internet. Tried bluetooth methods already so that route is a no-go as well. I was hoping there was some way to turn my android phone into a wifi server on its own without needing the internet. kind of like what the Goflex Sattelite portable hard drive does.

PS: phone will not be rooted for either question.
    12-24-11 01:06 AM
    setup your pc as ftp server
    and connect via LiteFTP from your playbook

to your phone did you tried bluetooth filetransfer?
    alternative same as for the PC turn it into a FTP server
    12-24-11 01:14 AM
    luko app allows you to control your pc. (like a mouse and keyboard and browse file to launch them in your pc)

ive seen some apps that allow u to access ur pc, like remote access..but i havent looked much into it.. Rdm, aVNC are some examples.

theres also an app called filebrowser that has FTP support.

my easy free solution is dropbox. i keep all my stuff synced in dropbox to access it from my pb, phone and college computers.

as for the peer-peer..i dont know... i do those transfers by Bridge so i dont know any other method.
    Last edited by alekza; 12-24-11 at 01:33 AM.
    12-24-11 01:24 AM
    Heh, you could set up an apache server. Tho thats a lot of work, but would work well with the playbook.
    12-24-11 01:59 AM
    I think I like the FTP server idea the best I'll give that a shot. As for luko, I did look at that, but does that allow me to upload and download files that are on my PC from my playbook?

As for my other question about mobile to mobile, that has been resolved and the solution was in my face the entire time. as foolish as i feel for missing the totally obvious I'm amazed that so many search results said it wasn't possible. you have to turn off data in the android settings, then activate mobile hotspot, then start an app called wifi file explorer. presto, instant wifi access to your android phone files without incurring data usage or needing a wifi network. I's fast too
    Last edited by omniusovermind; 12-24-11 at 03:01 AM.
    12-24-11 02:17 AM
    I think I like the FTP server idea the best I'll give that a shot. As for luko, I did look at that, but does that allow me to upload and download files that are on my PC from my playbook?

As for my other question about mobile to mobile without using an internet connection it appears I'm screwed. My android phone would have to be able to broadcast it's own wifi signal without being connected to the internet but as far as I know the only device currently capable of that is the Goflex Sattelite.
    no. luko doesnt feature that.
    12-24-11 03:02 AM

As for my other question about mobile to mobile, that has been resolved and the solution was in my face the entire time. as foolish as i feel for missing the totally obvious I'm amazed that so many search results said it wasn't possible. you have to turn off data in the android settings, then activate mobile hotspot, then start an app called wifi file explorer. presto, instant wifi access to your android phone files without incurring data usage or needing a wifi network. I's fast too
    FTP server will not let you stream medias from your PC if that's what you're looking for. You'll only be able to view the content of your foldes and download entire files, without being able to access them until they are fully transfered.
    12-24-11 12:02 PM
    Set up IIS (Win7) and you can browse your desktop (or laptop) IP address...
    04-09-12 10:52 PM
    The Android application Ghost Commander allows you to browse the file system on your computer via WiFi. If a native application could provide this functionality I would drop the Android application.
    04-09-12 10:57 PM
    spalshtop or remote desktop apps will let you do this

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
    04-09-12 11:24 PM
    give lan file explorer a try.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5
    04-09-12 11:32 PM
    +1 to Lan File Explorer. Works like a charm. It also depends on the type of file if its streamable like a music or video file, LAN file explorer will stream play them. If its a PDF, Word document, picture, it'll download it to your PB. but with the latest version of Lan File Explorer, it allows you to upload files from your PB to your PC, so you can download a file, work on it and re-upload it to your PC.

Hope that helps.
    04-09-12 11:42 PM
    +1 for LFE. Use it every day!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    04-10-12 01:44 AM
    The Android application Ghost Commander allows you to browse the file system on your computer via WiFi. If a native application could provide this functionality I would drop the Android application.
    I had tried Ghost Commander before Lan File Explorer and Ghost Commander had an issue opening certain type of files.

Definitly between the 2, LAN file Explorer is the winner.

Cheers
    04-10-12 10:57 AM
    Just purchased LAN File Explorer. It works like a charm. Give it a try!
    hexedus likes this.
    04-10-12 11:39 AM
    Try PhoneMyPc its now in app world and works on your local network and over wifi when your out and about
    04-10-12 02:06 PM
    any ideas on how to do this these days?
    10-09-12 07:13 PM
    Basically the same, except I haven't been able to access my PC with Ghost Commander since 2.1 beta came out. Lan File Explorer still works, is native but needs a server running on your PC to work. ES File Explorer and X-Plore also work and do not need a server, but both need to be sideloaded.
    10-09-12 07:51 PM
    ES File Explorer is my favorite, not only do you get Windows shares but it works with Dropbox and a lot of other services. It does have the drawback of needing sideloaded but that isn't a huge problem.
    10-09-12 09:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD