Results 1 to 11 of 11
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By tfp
  • 1 Post By CBCListener
  1. RubberChicken76's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    4,004 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,007 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default I hope Kindle makes its way to Playbook

    I'm glad that Blackberry seems to be showing signs that some of the elusive 'big apps' are coming to Blackberry 10. Still, I hope some of them come to PlayBook too and that we don't have to wait until BlackBerry 10 comes to PlayBook to get them.

    In particular, I'd like the Kindle app. To me, PlayBook is a much better form factor for reading eBooks than a phone. Would love that app on PlayBook.
    ------------------------------------
    I like how BlackBerry 10 is evolving, but when are they going to fix BlackBerry Link for Mac?

    The fact that it doesn't reliably do what it's supposed to do ... most of the time ... is utterly appalling. The only consistency is the "Music not copied to Z10 message"
  2. tfp
    tfp is offline
    tfp's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,421 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,459 Global Posts
    #2  

    Default

    I'm not sure if it will come before BB10 but it should come when BB10 does.

    You can also sideload Kindle to your PlayBook if you can't wait. I've had it on my PlayBook for over a year and it works beautifully. Even lets me purchase new books Check which version you're sideloading though as some of the newer don't work. I'm running 3.2.0.35 and it works like a charm! If you're not familiar with sideloading just do a search of CB and you'll find many tutorials on the subject. As for where to acquire the required files to sideload, called .bar or just bar files, I usually get mine from goodereader.com but I've heard that bb10bars.com (or something to that extent) is good as well.

    Best of luck.
    Don't take Life so seriously, you'll never get out alive
    Thanked by:
    RubberChicken76 (02-15-2013) 
    Mecca EL likes this.
  3. CBCListener's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    269 Posts
    #3  

    Default

    I would be surprised if a PlayBook version of the Kindle reader is ever released, as Amazon is under the delusion that their tablet is on a par with PlayBook, and would prefer to keep you locked-in to the Amazon Store that the PlayBook would not be obliged to use. There were early rumors that Amazon intended to release a version for the PlayBook, but as other rumors surfaced about the Fire these dried up.

    As noted above, it's actually fairly easy to sideload the Android version. A search here or externally should find links that describe the process - it takes longer to download the tools than it does to install the application.
    Mecca EL likes this.
  4. BBplaybookJS's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    673 Posts
    #4  

    Default

    Hey,if you want a Kindle app, I hope it works out for you. Me I have no desire for it, there Are several excellent book reader apps for Playbook
    Ain't no rocket scientists in the fire hall
    9500 > 9550 > 9800 > 9810 > 9900

    32g Playbook + 16g Playbook + 64g Playbook
  5. Bad Whippet's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    46 Posts
    #5  

    Default

    I've never used Kindle, so this is a genuine question: is the Kindle app better than Kobo? I've only started using Kobo quite recently as I'm a new Playbook owner. After some initial teething problems getting my first Kobo purchases to download fully, it now seems to work perfectly and I'm very happy with it, but I notice a lot of people want to use the Kindle app instead. Is this purely because they own Kindle books anyway, or is the Kindle app genuinely better?
  6. RubberChicken76's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    4,004 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,007 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BBplaybookJS View Post
    Hey,if you want a Kindle app, I hope it works out for you. Me I have no desire for it, there Are several excellent book reader apps for Playbook
    I have an Amazon account and like the amazon content ecosystem. Sue me. :-)
    ------------------------------------
    I like how BlackBerry 10 is evolving, but when are they going to fix BlackBerry Link for Mac?

    The fact that it doesn't reliably do what it's supposed to do ... most of the time ... is utterly appalling. The only consistency is the "Music not copied to Z10 message"
  7. MarlenaRosie's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    60 Posts
    #7  

    Default Re: I hope Kindle makes its way to Playbook

    Sideload the Kindle app from the Goodreader thread. All works 100% for me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I hope Kindle makes its way to Playbook-uploadfromtaptalk1361488598235.jpg   I hope Kindle makes its way to Playbook-uploadfromtaptalk1361488621796.jpg  
  8. MarlenaRosie's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    60 Posts
    #8  

    Default Re: I hope Kindle makes its way to Playbook

    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Whippet View Post
    I've never used Kindle, so this is a genuine question: is the Kindle app better than Kobo? I've only started using Kobo quite recently as I'm a new Playbook owner. After some initial teething problems getting my first Kobo purchases to download fully, it now seems to work perfectly and I'm very happy with it, but I notice a lot of people want to use the Kindle app instead. Is this purely because they own Kindle books anyway, or is the Kindle app genuinely better?
    I have both on my Playbook and find they each work very well. Kobo has a more attractive aesthetic but I wouldn't say one is better than the other. I shop around between them when I purchase books because there can be a significant difference in price depending on all kinds of factors - which company is featuring a particular ebook, promotions, etc.

    Living in Canada, I like the empasis on Canadian books from Kobo. Amazon (Kindle) on the other hand, definitely has a broader catalogue and is more likely to have older and obscure ebooks.

    I used both long before my Playbook and will continue to do so.
  9. QWKSNKE's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    697 Posts
    #9  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tfp View Post
    I'm not sure if it will come before BB10 but it should come when BB10 does.

    You can also sideload Kindle to your PlayBook if you can't wait. I've had it on my PlayBook for over a year and it works beautifully. Even lets me purchase new books Check which version you're sideloading though as some of the newer don't work. I'm running 3.2.0.35 and it works like a charm! If you're not familiar with sideloading just do a search of CB and you'll find many tutorials on the subject. As for where to acquire the required files to sideload, called .bar or just bar files, I usually get mine from goodereader.com but I've heard that bb10bars.com (or something to that extent) is good as well.

    Best of luck.
    +1......


    10char
    8830WE > 9650> Z10

    PB 64GB
  10. #10  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RubberChicken76 View Post
    I'm glad that Blackberry seems to be showing signs that some of the elusive 'big apps' are coming to Blackberry 10. Still, I hope some of them come to PlayBook too and that we don't have to wait until BlackBerry 10 comes to PlayBook to get them.

    In particular, I'd like the Kindle app. To me, PlayBook is a much better form factor for reading eBooks than a phone. Would love that app on PlayBook.
    I have that app in my list, if you care to sideload it.
    Unlocked Rogers Z10 STL100-3 10.3.0.140 / Unlocked Bell Q10 SQN100-1 10.2.1.2947
  11. #11  

    Default

    BTW, I've been running 3.2.0.35 for a long time and it runs great. I've tried to convert every release since, but none have worked.
    Unlocked Rogers Z10 STL100-3 10.3.0.140 / Unlocked Bell Q10 SQN100-1 10.2.1.2947

Similar Threads

  1. Could an older version of QNX make its way to NON BB10 Blackberrys?
    By jamezalexander in forum General BlackBerry Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-07-2012, 12:39 AM
  2. Amazon Prime is on its way to making Netflix irrelevant
    By killa4luv in forum BlackBerry PlayBook
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 05-24-2012, 11:01 PM
  3. PressReader app makes way to Playbook too
    By cjterminator in forum PlayBook Apps & Games
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 08-10-2011, 05:07 PM
  4. Will Storm 2 make its way to US Cellular??
    By B Ditty in forum BlackBerry Storm2
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-17-2009, 07:32 AM
  5. 8100 - On its way to me
    By wxboss in forum Rehab & Off-Topic Lounge
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 07-29-2007, 10:33 AM

Posting Permissions