Sorry can't type long because last couple of days got hit with some crazy flu virus and don't leave my bed, can't even hold my PB in my hands for too long but probably month ago or more I got frustrated how you cannot rename or move bookmarks in the native browser and came up with an idea to solve it.

I wrote a simple app which let's you manage bookmarks, rename, rearrange, set custom icons, etc and then each time you make change you press a button and the app publishes updated html page with the bokmarks. All you have to do is first time set your browser start page (in browser options) to that custom page and enjoy it! Each time you start browser it will go to the page or each time you open new tab. It works really well for me and I use it constantly.

Submitted while ago to RIM and it got approved today.
    For now there are two bookmark page views: icon view and list view but i may add more views in future (if some is willing to volunteer some html skills in exchange for credits and default bookmark placement im open for ideas

Here is the link:
    Http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/97907

What do you think? Will you find it useful?
    03-20-12 08:07 PM
    Oh, the app is called "Start in Style"
    03-20-12 08:10 PM
    Hey, on my way to bed but will try it out tomorrow. Thanks!
    03-20-12 08:15 PM
    Very interesting approach. Let's give it a whirl!
    03-20-12 08:16 PM
    this app is one of those "MUST-HAVES" i love starting browser and seeing MY list.
    thanks for this cool app
    03-20-12 08:46 PM
    Thanks! Hope you like it - it still needs some work but the core is there an at least for me its much better to manage bookmarks than in the browser.

Please note that you NEED to give the app FILES permission as soon as it is launched first time. The app needs this permission in order to publish bookmarks and icons to your documents folder. Without it when you hit publish button it just sits there.

I will correct this in next release where I will display message if this permission is not granted.
    03-21-12 06:08 PM
    Be neat idea. I don't have to much of an issue with the default bookmarks but for those who do. This would be a must have.
    03-21-12 06:22 PM
    Another option is to save the bookmarks to the homescreen and organize them in a new tab and/or folder.
    thedark722 likes this.
    03-21-12 06:44 PM
    Looks sharp, but will be 8000 times better with customizable icons.

Also, and I'm sure this would be a major pain to code if it's even possible with this transaction South, would be to add an option to browser settings to export the current page to the app. It's an awesome idea; seems like they should be able to integrate something like this into the browser app itself.

PM me if you need a beta tester.
    03-23-12 08:33 PM
    Hmm, if you set a default save location (like the misc folder) I will be happy to add a toggle option to use your bookmarks html as a startup screen in Secure Browser.

Might not help a lot but I would be happy to provide a link to ur appworld app too! Secure Browser already handles import-from-HTML too, so your bookmarks file should be importable.
    jsdhornby likes this.
    03-23-12 11:45 PM
    Not trying to be picky, but in the app description, item #1 has a grammatical error:

Change "you" to "your".
    03-24-12 07:30 AM
    Hmm, if you set a default save location (like the misc folder) I will be happy to add a toggle option to use your bookmarks html as a startup screen in Secure Browser.

Might not help a lot but I would be happy to provide a link to ur appworld app too! Secure Browser already handles import-from-HTML too, so your bookmarks file should be importable.
    Hey KermEd - thats an awesome idea! The app saves bookmarks to:

/accounts/1000/shared/documents/StartInStyle/start.html (for the icons view), and
    /accounts/1000/shared/documents/StartInStyle/start_details.html (for the list view)

The link to the AppWorld page is:
    Buy Start in Style - Browser Start Bookmarks Page Alternative - Download Start in Style - Browser Start Bookmarks Page Alternative - Buy Apps from BlackBerry App World

In exchange I can add a default bookmark with link to your app (or some other html page describing your app), let me know if you want that!

BTW - I've been using Secure Browser for some time. Like it!
    thx
    KermEd likes this.
    03-26-12 05:44 PM
    Not trying to be picky, but in the app description, item #1 has a grammatical error:

Change "you" to "your".
    Thanks! will correct
    03-26-12 05:47 PM
    Hey KermEd - thats an awesome idea! The app saves bookmarks to:

/accounts/1000/shared/documents/StartInStyle/start.html (for the icons view), and
    /accounts/1000/shared/documents/StartInStyle/start_details.html (for the list view)

The link to the AppWorld page is:
    Buy Start in Style - Browser Start Bookmarks Page Alternative - Download Start in Style - Browser Start Bookmarks Page Alternative - Buy Apps from BlackBerry App World

In exchange I can add a default bookmark with link to your app (or some other html page describing your app), let me know if you want that!

BTW - I've been using Secure Browser for some time. Like it!
    thx
    Done, Im working on a service pack right now. This compatibility *will* be there. Good idea . No link-back needed! I just see this as a great app to connect toand maybe it will encourage others.

Besides, witj my new features I am coding - I think peeps are going to ,ove the new features. Glad to add this!
    03-26-12 08:04 PM
    awesome work guys, love to see devs working together sharing. thanks for these great apps.
    03-27-12 12:24 PM
    FYI, I just bought your app to test.

I updated my code (I have about another 8 hours of development before I can push out the next update - two bugs with other areas are messing me up a bit). God willing, 48 hours. Its always a bit tough, I work in the day & evening & part-time student. :P

Anyway, it seems to be working. I got a minor fix tomorrow on it. But confirmed - code is live in dev build.
    03-29-12 10:24 PM
    I downloaded it last night. Works fine..a few suggestions:

the images of the stock photos for the bookmarks shows up in my file manager for pictures which clutters it up..if possible I'd like to have it so they don't appear there. No other native program I have does this, so it must be possible.

Is it possible to make the app interface exactly like the actual bookmark page? It would make it much easier to sort them and move them around to where I want, without switching back and forth to make sure they are in the right spot on the browser page. And it seems like the rows on the browser are not aligned right. One row allows 8..another allows 7 bookmarks..and they are not spaced out the same way.
    04-01-12 03:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD