• 1 Post By F2
  • 1 Post By kill_9
  • 1 Post By F2
  • 1 Post By kill_9
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default HTML Editor?

Hi guys,

I'm really glad to have found this site and forum. So much really useful stuff has been learned in the short time I have joined the PB-owning populace. The one thing I would like to be able to do is create & edit web pages.

1. Is there an HTML editor for PB there that will allow me to create web pages offline? That is, I don't want to have to log in to a remote server to pull up pages; I want to just edit & run the pages without having to connect to the Internet. I have a few sites that I have made and would love to be able to use the PB to modify and store them independently from my PC. I use NoteTab Lite on the PC and don't know if there is a similar (even if a cut-down) package available for PB. I don't necessarily need an FTP client package, as I can copy finished pages to my PC.

2. NoteTab also allows me to test those HTML pages offline by running them in Internet Explorer. Can I do something similar on the PB?

3. How do I create file folders in the PB to store these HTML documents?

4. Is it possible to connect a memory stick to t#a PB, to act as an external drive? If so, this o#would presumably be done via the micro-USB port.

Later, I may even post more articulate questions/comments. Thanks for the site.
    Steve.

I'll tackle one or two of the questions.

NO external usb support from the usb port. We all hope Rim will provide usb-otg eventually.

You can create folders on the pb. Either connected to Win/Mac and use their Explorer type programs to navigate to the pb as a Drive and then peruse the standard folders. You can add subfolders. The main program is that many of the pb's apps do not respect folders. So if you created subfolders under the "documents" folder, every file in the entire hierarchy will show in most apps. Some of the File Managers can help to some extent. And speaking of File Managers, some of them can also create subfolders. The one app on the pb that does deal reasonably with subfolders is the Pictures app. Subfolders show up as Albums, like birthday, summer vacation, etc.

At this time, I have no looked around for a full featured editor in a while. That was an app I wanted early on to edit html homepages for my pb.

Oh, and WELCOME
    r0v3rT3N likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Default Re: HTML Editor

You may be one in a million there. Personally I don't want a HTML editor, even like notepad from Windows. Who really wants to code extensively on a PlayBook? For a start, the PlayBook keyboard is awkward for opening and closing tags. PlayBooks are really just an extension of computer tools to be honest, so let's keep programming and coding to ojr computers, eh?
    Josh - Curve 9320 & PlayBook 64GB - BlackBerry Enthusiast - CrackBerry Addict - PlayBook Sideloader
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,169 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Crowezine View Post
    You may be one in a million there. Personally I don't want a HTML editor, even like notepad from Windows. Who really wants to code extensively on a PlayBook? For a start, the PlayBook keyboard is awkward for opening and closing tags. PlayBooks are really just an extension of computer tools to be honest, so let's keep programming and coding to ojr computers, eh?
    You're entitled to your opinion but I can disagree.

I have the BlackBerry Bluetooth Mini-Keyboard and create and edit documents using the Syntax text editor when working with LaTeX, HTML, Python, among others. The virtual keyboard would not be as comfortable for extended keyboarding sessions in my experience but the remote keyboard feature of the BlackBerry smartphone via BlackBerry Bridge works in a pinch.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,169 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by F2 View Post
    At this time, I have no looked around for a full featured editor in a while. That was an app I wanted early on to edit html homepages for my pb.
    My recommendations for HTML file creation and editing and management on the BlackBerry PlayBook. I use Files and Folders as well as Syntax Text Editor but have never tried Web Server.

File Management: Files and Folders (manage file organization)
    HTML Editor: Syntax Text Editor (colour highlighting of syntatic elements)
    Web Server: Web Server (to test your web pages on the tablet)
    Herve5 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by BB9700CA View Post
    My recommendations for HTML file creation and editing and management on the BlackBerry PlayBook. I use Files and Folders as well as Syntax Text Editor but have never tried Web Server.

File Management: Files and Folders (manage file organization)
    HTML Editor: Syntax Text Editor (colour highlighting of syntatic elements)
    Web Server: Web Server (to test your web pages on the tablet)
    Do you have a link to this one?
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,856 Global Posts
    PIN
    excepting applications

Default Re: HTML Editor

NOTEBOOK PLUS is the perfect app for this on PlayBook.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HTML Editor?-uploadfromtaptalk1357162852321.jpg  
    I waited...It launched...Im still waiting...

Quote Originally Posted by BB-Bmore View Post
    Wake me up when it's January.
    Which year?
    Sansu94 likes this.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  

Thanks very much, guys; both for the advice and the welcome.

I, too, have ordered a bluetooth keyboard. Having found myself unwittingly joining the train-travelling public following the sdeath of my car, I wanted to spend some of that time updating sites. It's the only level of Geek I have in me, so I'll check out BB9700CA's suggestions. I presume you refer to Syntax by Travis Redpath, Web Server from Jason Ernst and File and Folders from Innovatology? If they're good, I'd even be prepared to buy them. There's a shock.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    912 Global Posts

Files & Folders = well worth getting. I don't remember how much it was, but I've never looked back since buying! Also, there's a free trial so give it a whirl!

Would love to hear people's views on Syntax - any experience from anyone here? @F2 - link is Buy Syntax - Download Syntax - Buy Apps from BlackBerry App World
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  

Files & Folders cost me £3, as did Syntax. Both are very good.
    As far as F&F is concerned, I think the Playbook should have something like that pre-installed. It is very user-friendly, just like using Windows Explorer.
    When I get back home, I'll copy my html files over, organise the folders (courtesy of F&F) and get to work.
    Until I get the files loaded, I'll not be able to see how well Web Server works. Still; that one was free so, if it's no good, I'll just remove it.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    938 Global Posts

I use Files and Folders for my file management (creating folder structures, etc.), and Syntax for coding, then to test I just go to the browser and type in file:/// and navigate to the files I made (they start with accounts/1000/shared/ to get to the main PlayBook file system). This is nice, because I can see stuff as it would actually appear if I visited the site on my PlayBook, then I can just do a side-swipe and I'm editing again.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,169 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by F2 View Post
    Do you have a link to this one?
    Sorry, just search for 'syntax' which is the name of the application...I mistakenly thought the full name was Syntax Text Editor.
    Thanked by:
    F2 (01-03-2013) 
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    912 Global Posts

Another option that I've discovered for those into sideloading is WebMaster's HTML lite - Get the Latest Blackberry Playbook Business Apps | Good e-Reader Android APP Store - Playbook App Market

Seems plain but functional for some basic editing.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,169 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Barljo View Post
    Another option that I've discovered for those into sideloading is WebMaster's HTML lite - Get the Latest Blackberry Playbook Business Apps | Good e-Reader Android APP Store - Playbook App Market

Seems plain but functional for some basic editing.
    The reviews in BlackBerry AppWorld turned me away from this application not to mention my aversion to Google Andoid-based applications running on the BlackBerry PlayBook (strictly personal bias).
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,169 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by srj999 View Post
    Files & Folders cost me £3, as did Syntax. Both are very good.
    As far as F&F is concerned, I think the Playbook should have something like that pre-installed. It is very user-friendly, just like using Windows Explorer.
    When I get back home, I'll copy my html files over, organise the folders (courtesy of F&F) and get to work.
    Until I get the files loaded, I'll not be able to see how well Web Server works. Still; that one was free so, if it's no good, I'll just remove it.
    If the feature set of Files and Folders finally arrives as part of the built-in capability of BlackBerry OS 10 I hope Research In Motion pays Innovatology for the motivation and inspiration.
    Barljo likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,169 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Barljo View Post
    Would love to hear people's views on Syntax - any experience from anyone here?
    I have been using Syntax since I discovered it on December 20th for editing LaTeX, HTML, and Python. The application works flawlessly with the BlackBerry PlayBook virtual keyboard and BlackBerry Bluetooth Mini-Keyboard. The customisability of the text-entry interface should appeal to "blank sheet of paper" people as well as the "glowing green or amber terminal" people among others with almost limitless colour scheme options. I use the BlackBerry Bluetooth Mini-Keyboard and Hip Street Bluetooth Keyboard with this application and they work very well together. The development notes indicate Syntax is based on the GNU nano editor. The only thing missing for nano users is the traditional key-bindings. For vi/vim users, those key-bindings are not available which is not surprising. As for the key-bindings the absence is probably due to the lack of the CTRL key and the ESC key on the virtual keyboard - this is not a criticism of Syntax.
    Thanked by:
    Barljo (01-04-2013) 
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,169 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by srj999 View Post
    I presume you refer to Syntax by Travis Redpath, Web Server from Jason Ernst and File and Folders from Innovatology? If they're good, I'd even be prepared to buy them. There's a shock.
    Yes, those are the applications and the developers. You will definitely consider the paid applications Files and Folders and Syntax worth the small fee. On the subject of web development in addition to the free Web Server by Jason Ernst there is Servers Ultimate Pro by Ice Cold Apps (paid application) if you require more than a web server. I am unable to ascertain whether the web servers are natively coded or ported Google Android applications, although I will be testing Web Server this weekend and possibly Server Ultimate Pro.
    CrackBerry Addict

While it does not feature syntax coloring, for quick updates straight on your site host you have RemoteDeFTP Pro, that allows you to connect via FTP and edit "in place", with versioning.
    Can memorize various servers, with dedicated default paths for each.
    An android port (and that's very visible on the interface) but very practical and fast, definitely -and also one of the very few actual FTP app that works on any PC / unix / linux server, indeed...
    Dev is reactive and I understood he intends to port to BB10.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #20  

The syntax colouring is what makes Syntax stand out for me. I used it properly for the first time this morning. It's an excellent pice of kit. Brilliant recommendation brom BB9700CA - thanks for that. The only issue I have at the moment is that the BT keyboard hasn't arrived and using the touch screen keyboard loses half the viewing area. Still; I hope tha'll only be a short-term issue.

I played briefly with WebMaster HTML Lite but didn't get on with it at all. Syntax is a far more professional package. It's the little things like being able to highlight blocks of text, copy & paste, along with the previously mentioned syntax colouring that made using it a breeze.

The same applies to Files & Folders. Now I am using F&F all the time to organise files. It makes it so much easier, especially when I am editing the web pages. How these guys can sell these apps for only £3 is beyond me; they are real bargains.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean-luc_Picard View Post
    I use Files and Folders for my file management (creating folder structures, etc.), and Syntax for coding, then to test I just go to the browser and type in file:/// and navigate to the files I made (they start with accounts/1000/shared/ to get to the main PlayBook file system). This is nice, because I can see stuff as it would actually appear if I visited the site on my PlayBook, then I can just do a side-swipe and I'm editing again.
    Thanks for that J-L_P. I never even considered the option. Another thing to try on the way home.
    CrackBerry User

This is good too. Webmaster.