I just purchased it, today. But I do not know how to set it up.

I have a home PC that's connected via Wi-Fi. I'm stuck at Create Cnnection. I don't know whats the Server and I dont know what is a Port, (mine says 5900)

Can any one help me on how to find my sevrer?

TY in advance,
    Ivan
    05-23-11 04:07 PM
    Many if not all questions of that nature have been asked and answered in this forum.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f243/av...aybook-607453/

Or this one
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f243/av...2-99-a-612267/

Im happy to share my experience with you if these dont do it for you.
    Last edited by npunk42; 05-23-11 at 04:27 PM.
    IvanAMANation likes this.
    05-23-11 04:25 PM
    Many if not all questions of that nature have been asked and answered in this forum.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f243/av...aybook-607453/

Or this one
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f243/av...2-99-a-612267/

Im happy to share my experience with you if these dont do it for you.
    thanks for the reply, but after viewing the thread, I saw no souluion for the issue I'm having..

I absolutely know nothing on how to configue it. I'm a bit confused.

I downloaded the free RealVNC, and DL it, but when I run it, a small black screen pops up, and disappears instantly (ConFig Screen I think)

Is there any other free vnc's other then RealVNC that I can download for my PC? I heard on CB.com about TightVNC.
    05-23-11 04:53 PM
    I use TightVNC and it seems to work pretty well. Try uninstalling RealVNC and giving TightVNC a try and i will try to help you. I only ask that you try to be more complete in your description of the problem. Your posts don't give much info. When you get TightVNC installed and you see it running in your System Tray, down by the clock on the start bar, put your mouse over the "V" icon and see what IP address your desktop machine has.. Then use that IP and port 5900 to try to connect from the local network.

That will be a good first step. We'll worry about connections from outside the network after we get this much working..
    05-23-11 05:26 PM
    Okay, I'll do it now. BRB
    05-23-11 05:31 PM
    Back.. Okay, I've installed it click the "V" icon and now I'm on the TightVNC Configure Settings box... But I don't know how to view my IP address
    05-23-11 05:38 PM
    And for the record for anyone else reading this thread, I only told Ivan to use TightVNC instead of RealVNC because I am familiar with TightVNC and have it installed so I can help him more with it.

I didn't want anyone to think I believed there was anything wrong with RealVNC. From what I have read it is a perfectly good VNC server as well. I've just never used it myself..
    05-23-11 05:43 PM
    If you let your mouse hover over the V icon, it will show you what IP it is running on, if I remember correctly..
    05-23-11 05:44 PM
    And for the record for anyone else reading this thread, I only told Ivan to use TightVNC instead of RealVNC because I am familiar with TightVNC and have it installed so I can help him more with it.

I didn't want anyone to think I believed there was anything wrong with RealVNC. From what I have read it is a perfectly good VNC server as well. I've just never used it myself..
    I got it installed, but I dont knowhow to find my IP address

TY in advance
    05-23-11 05:45 PM
    If you let your mouse hover over the V icon, it will show you what IP it is running on, if I remember correctly..
    No, its not showing. I have the Service Conf' open though
    05-23-11 05:47 PM
    shoot. I have to step out for a moment. I'll be back. I do appreciate your help Mojoski
    05-23-11 05:50 PM
    My pleasure, Bro!
    05-23-11 07:24 PM
    Thanks again!

Okay, so I got a few ago. An I set up the home network VNC via TightVNC, and it works perfect!

Is there anyway to makes the screen crispier? the resolution isn't too good, or it can be the bit rate, maybe? IDK I'm not to tech savy.

Also, the only thing now, is if I'm out in the streets or my office, how can I link back to my home PC? I have a Netgear router, and the PC is connected via wi-fi, is that a problem? I leave it on sleep mode. Would avnc still communicate with my PC?

can you help me set up an external network, or what ever its called?

you can not click on ICON's, correct?
    Last edited by IvanAMANation; 05-23-11 at 10:47 PM. Reason: added additional question
    05-23-11 10:39 PM
    Youll need to create a separate profile. Its like the one you have but instead of the server being your computer in your LAN it will be the routers WAN address. Also you will need to do the port forwarding thing.
    start reading here to find your router and how to get into it to forward the ports 5800 and 5900. Anyway here is the link:Port Forwarding Guides Listed by Manufacturer and Model - PortForward.com
    05-24-11 01:38 AM
    Youll need to create a separate profile. Its like the one you have but instead of the server being your computer in your LAN it will be the routers WAN address. Also you will need to do the port forwarding thing.
    start reading here to find your router and how to get into it to forward the ports 5800 and 5900. Anyway here is the link:Port Forwarding Guides Listed by Manufacturer and Model - PortForward.com
    I'm sorry if this is a stupid question but I'm not the most tech savy when it comes to setting up servers etc.

If I'm out at a location that has wi-fi and I set up my routers as you explained this will let me access my laptop, right? But what if I have an external hard drive connected to my laptop and that is actually the drive I want to access. My work files are all on an external hard drive although it is always connected to my laptop.

Also does it matter if my laptop address could be different because it's a dynamic (I think that's what its called) IP??

I'm just wondering if it isn't simply worth my while if I get some tech guy to come in and set this all up for me...

Is it really that easy? I tried downloading ORB once. A poster on one of these threads suggested instead of tightVNC and ORB never loaded properly in my laptop...
    snapperhead23 and scuebydue like this.
    05-25-11 12:40 AM
    The external drive should be accessible because VNC lets you have access to you home machine, just like you're sitting in front of it..

The dynamic ip address definitely has to be addressed for this to work consistently for you. I have addressed this myself by creating a free account at dyndns.org. Go home, get on your home machine and go to dyndns.org and create a free account. Then create your own domain name and have it use the ip address that your ISP has currently given you. Then install the "updater" app from dyndns.org so that your new hostname dns record will be automatically updated when your isp changes your ip address.

One other thing you need take into account is the DHCP server on your wifi router. if your local machine is given a new local ip when you connect your pc to the home network, then your port forwarding will be broken, so you need to tell your wifi router to reserve a specific ip for that machine all the time. That setting will be in the LAN settings of your router, typically..

Let us know how things go! It's a bit of a chore to get it all set up if you don't know what you're doing, but it is well worth it once it's all setup and working properly! Having consistent access to your laptop from anywhere is very liberating! I am on a business trip this week and for the first time I have been able to leave the heavy backpack at home and just brought my Playbook, So far it is working great for me! I love aVNC!!!
    Snick Snack likes this.
    05-25-11 06:25 AM
    The external drive should be accessible because VNC lets you have access to you home machine, just like you're sitting in front of it..

The dynamic ip address definitely has to be addressed for this to work consistently for you. I have addressed this myself by creating a free account at dyndns.org. Go home, get on your home machine and go to dyndns.org and create a free account. Then create your own domain name and have it use the ip address that your ISP has currently given you. Then install the "updater" app from dyndns.org so that your new hostname dns record will be automatically updated when your isp changes your ip address.

One other thing you need take into account is the DHCP server on your wifi router. if your local machine is given a new local ip when you connect your pc to the home network, then your port forwarding will be broken, so you need to tell your wifi router to reserve a specific ip for that machine all the time. That setting will be in the LAN settings of your router, typically..

Let us know how things go! It's a bit of a chore to get it all set up if you don't know what you're doing, but it is well worth it once it's all setup and working properly! Having consistent access to your laptop from anywhere is very liberating! I am on a business trip this week and for the first time I have been able to leave the heavy backpack at home and just brought my Playbook, So far it is working great for me! I love aVNC!!!
    Thank you!! I know the pain will be worth it, but I'm a bit of a chicken when it comes to network stuff... with software I can wipe and start over again, with network, I screw up and it affects every computer in the house!
    05-25-11 11:36 AM
    Need help, again

I can connect to the server, and put password in, and after, immediately a settings era occurs/

"Could not connect using current confih. Check port and server parameters. Please try and connect using different encoding and color settings. See help for more details"

I checked help, but it was no help.I tried changing encoding and color settings, still, nothing.
    07-29-11 10:59 AM
    Hmm.. I'm sad to say that problem doesn't ring a bell.. I would guess it has something to do with a settings mismatch on the server and client. Which VNC server app are you using?
    07-29-11 11:01 AM
    Hey Mo, I'm using TightVNC. It may be the server client.... When I click the "V" om my tool bar a lil window pops up ( Server configuration ) and it has 3 tabs, Server Access Control, and Admin. I may have messed things up trying to configure Tighvnc
    07-29-11 11:08 AM
    can you tell me precisly what you have clicked on the setting, so that I can match them with mine, and see if it works?
    07-29-11 11:08 AM
    Sure! I'll take some screen shots and post them..

Attached!

PS - You can ignore the fact that I've changed my port number. As long as you're trying to connect to the same port you have configured on the server, it should work fine. I just changed mine so the default port wouldn't be open on my external router, but that isn't really required at all.
    Last edited by Mojoski; 07-29-11 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Removed my machine name and port number from the photos..
    07-29-11 11:23 AM
    Thanks a lot, Mo. I greatly appreciate it brother. I can now view my PC on my PB, but for some reason I can not use the mouse option on Avnc. I could just zoom in/out. I cant interact with the pc at all. Any suggestions?
    07-29-11 11:28 AM
    I'm guessing that has something to do with the section in the first screen shot called "Input Handling".. Something is telling the server to block remote input.. Uncheck all those boxes..
    07-29-11 11:30 AM
    I did, but still no change.
    07-29-11 11:42 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD