Perhaps I am showing my lack of working knowledge of spread sheets, but here goes anyway�.

I decided to start a summary log of my daily miles using my PB�s Sheet to Go. I chose a very simple format:

The 1st row I reserved (and programmed) for a summation (=SUM(A1:A100) of values that are entered daily in the rows below. Then I realized that I want the latest entry ALWAYS to be right under the 1st (summation) row. That requires INSERT ROW function, which for the life of me I could not figure out how to work on my playbook.

I spent a reasonable amount of time googling and still no progress�

Has anyone encountered the same problem and can it be solved?

Many thanx in advance�
    05-01-12 11:30 AM
    I keep a spreadsheet to log all of the maintenence, work and modifications done to my vehicle and when so i have an accurate history and record of everything in one place.

I put it on the playbook thinking that this would be great to have on such a portable device and I can just fill everything in as I go. Only problem: It requires and insert row function every time I do work on the Jeep.

And there isnt one.

It is such a basic function, I really wish they would add it. Especially since Ive heard the feature is in Docs to Go for Android ... and RIM owns Docs to Go
    05-01-12 11:51 AM
    Indeed... If there's a way I also didn't find it. You can cut all that's after and paste leaving the desired empty cells but that's hardly practical (for the cell selection to be possible the kb must be hidden then press and hold for the options).

Since you use Sheets to Go I warn you that are also issues relating predictive texting... See here for more info.

The limitations in Documents to Go has been one of my two main complaints with the PB since I bought it (the other being how poor Adobe Reader is in even the most basic features). And again it's funny because RIM owns the company which makes the PB office suite and also a pdf reader better than Adobe's (at least under other platforms).
    Last edited by joaosousa; 05-01-12 at 12:22 PM.
    05-01-12 12:19 PM
    I agree, I was hoping that when 2.0 came out that there would be a fix, but no. I am just surprised as it is such a basic function in a spreadsheet that it should be there.

I have to launch the spreadsheet first on my phone, insert the rows, etc, save and then open on the playbook. Since I sync with dropbox there is a lot of other steps required in between before I get started again on the playbook.

A lot of unproductive time wasted for a basic function. At least have the same functionality as the version that came installed on my phone. Since blackberry owns the company, you would think that the version they install on their products would be superior to the versions they offer to other OS's.

Someone has to get the message to blackberry........
    06-09-12 11:19 AM
    I don't know if this will work in the Playbook but I just inserted a row and a column in Spreadsheet To Go in my Torch 9860. Here's how I did it.

1. Go to edit mode.
    2. Tap and hold on the row below. In your case, rational_mind, tap and hold on row 2.
    3. When the mini menu pops up, select Full Menu.
    4. Select Row > Insert.

Hope this works on the PB also.
    06-09-12 01:08 PM
    The pb version is awful - just plain simple!
    06-09-12 01:42 PM
    It works just fine on my 9810, just no way to do it on the PB without having to use the phone for that function.

Overall I am very happy with the Playbook, but for business use this workaround makes a simple edit into a major challenge. Not worth using the spreadsheet on playbook for editing, designed more for viewing attachments, I guess.
    06-09-12 02:16 PM
    Download and install the Android version. Plenty of sources for the APK file, and I'm sure there are converted (BAR) packages available, too.

RCK
    06-10-12 03:38 AM
    You can insert rows with Smart Office as shown in the attached image.
    Herve5 likes this.
    06-10-12 07:33 AM
    There is no baked in insert row, but with two easy operations you can do it effectively... These are, wait for it.... Cut and paste. Crazy eh? Who would have thought it was possible?

It does retain cell formulas too so it works nicely.

Also... With keyboard off-screen, you can copy a cell with a formula, the select multiple cells and paste the formula to effectively do a "fill-down" type command. Took me a while to realize that works that way. The formula cell reference lock "$" works too.

All in all, with the above known, it becomes a pretty nifty portable spreadsheet. Just wish programming formulas was much easier compared to typing them out.

Cheers
    06-11-12 10:08 PM
    This annoys me, I can do so much more (including insert rows) with my curve 9360, but PB docs to go is so basic. I hope the BB10 phones won't have such a limited DTG.
    01-07-13 03:52 PM
    You can insert rows with Smart Office as shown in the attached image.
    Seconded. Smart Office is efficient and not costly; it also can create new documents from scratch, which IIRC Docstogo doesn't...
    01-08-13 03:03 AM
    doesnt work for me cos it just replaces the row not add one. will be side loading the android version i think
    01-26-13 05:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD