I've seen some discussions here talking about port forwarding which sounds too technical for me but I've also read that you just need to enter a gmail address and as long as your host computer is connected, it will work. So what's the real scoop on connecting when away from your home wifi?
    08-07-12 07:30 PM
    Its as easy as pie. When you are away from your home network you can still connect to Splashtop. You do it through your gmail address. I would suggest lowering your PC's res and don't use a theme and it'll run smoothly.
    world saviour and yvrbs like this.
    08-07-12 07:54 PM
    Splashtop is super easy to configure with remote access. HOWEVER, it is not encrypted. For this reason, I recommend you not use it over an open network. Splashtop 2 fixed this problem and uses Ssl encryption sign-in and data transfer, but it has not made it onto the playbook. Depending on your circumstances, the Remote Desktop app by todd grayson might be better, or, just try the 2x client free RDP app from app world. It's an android port but works rather well and is free. Both the latter apps use the remote desktop protocol built into windows and is thus more or less secure and it IS encrypted. With splashtop, if you connect remotely through an open wifi network, anyone can see your keystrokes, etc if they snoop in, as it is transported in plain text.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Preferably with some facts, because I had already contacted splashtop on the issue and visited their support forums.
    yvrbs and BSFA2008 like this.
    08-07-12 09:14 PM
    Yes it is very easy to set up and use. I have that and Remote Desktop. I use the latter because it is far more secure.
    yvrbs likes this.
    08-07-12 09:39 PM
    I don't know if the latest version of Splashtop Streamer supports remote login with Google anymore.
    08-07-12 11:27 PM
    Splashtop is super easy to configure with remote access. HOWEVER, it is not encrypted. For this reason, I recommend you not use it over an open network. Splashtop 2 fixed this problem and uses Ssl encryption sign-in and data transfer, but it has not made it onto the playbook. Depending on your circumstances, the Remote Desktop app by todd grayson might be better, or, just try the 2x client free RDP app from app world. It's an android port but works rather well and is free. Both the latter apps use the remote desktop protocol built into windows and is thus more or less secure and it IS encrypted. With splashtop, if you connect remotely through an open wifi network, anyone can see your keystrokes, etc if they snoop in, as it is transported in plain text.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Preferably with some facts, because I had already contacted splashtop on the issue and visited their support forums.
    It is password protected.
    08-08-12 08:10 AM
    I don't know if the latest version of Splashtop Streamer supports remote login with Google anymore.
    Yes it does, You can also create an account through Splashtop as well.
    yvrbs likes this.
    08-08-12 08:12 AM
    It is pretty easy to setup but don't expect the touch stuff to work on Windows 8. Or at least I haven't found a way to make it work. I am hopeful for the next version however.
    yvrbs likes this.
    08-08-12 10:07 AM
    Only the login is password protected. Not good enough. Anyone who has a handle on what goes in and out of wifi can view information transmitted easily in plain text.

To my knowledge, making an account through splashtop is only available in version 2, which they haven't released to the playbook yet, if at all.
    08-08-12 10:36 AM
    Like the others have said it is very easy to connect.

It is great for watching Tv (via tuner card on my PC),videos or listening to music from the files on your PC.

I love the app.
    yvrbs likes this.
    08-08-12 10:45 AM
    It works great in side your LAN but when you do it remotely it sucks.
    08-09-12 03:09 PM
    Can someone point me to a how-to guide on how to do this. There has been times I've needed something from home pc while at work and this would be unreal.
    08-09-12 03:54 PM
    There is no need for a how to. You install the app, login with your Google account. Go to splashtop.com and install the streamer. Login to Google account.. That's really all it takes lol. The streamer takes care of all the ports for you.
    yvrbs likes this.
    08-09-12 05:49 PM
    Very simple! There's a slight lag but that's connection related. Program works great.
    08-11-12 06:41 AM
    Sucks is puting it lightly!
    08-15-12 07:37 PM
    Yeah after reading the comments I bought the app and while it works great on the same wi fi it has a big time lag on remote. Unfortunately those comments came in after I bought it. So if you are buying this to get access to your system to play videos/music remotely, you aren't going to be real happy.
    BTW I have one of the fastest connections available from Shaw, their hi speed modem and a pretty well config'd PC so I don't think it's a h/w issue although it could be.
    This is just one of those apps that is before its time. In retrospect I wouldn't buy it until they get this delay thing worked out and who knows if they will be able to?
    08-16-12 12:41 AM
    BTW I have one of the fastest connections available from Shaw, their hi speed modem and a pretty well config'd PC so I don't think it's a h/w issue although it could be.
    That's only half of the equation. If the wifi connection you using to remotely connect isn't as equally fast, you'll have issues. I've streamed video remotely with Splashtop without issues. One tip is to reduce the resolution of your PC screen before using splashtop, it will make things easier for the app.
    08-16-12 01:43 AM
    Yes try to reduce resolution like poster said above, anything to reduce amount of data transmitted back and forth. Also make sure you're using a fast wifi connection wherever you are. There is a free Android app also available, its called 2x free RDP client in appworld. Should give you a feel for the efficiency of the windows rdp platform and security, which i much prefer. It requires setting up, and a version of windows that supports RDP broadcast.
    08-16-12 09:39 AM

Informative thread,that's the information which I needed.
    08-17-12 06:46 AM
    This has been my experience too - and I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong. I've got the gmail options enabled, but I have never successfully connected from outside my own lan. Something simple here I'm missing? There aren't a ton of options in the app to play with...
    08-17-12 08:43 AM
    This has been my experience too - and I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong. I've got the gmail options enabled, but I have never successfully connected from outside my own lan. Something simple here I'm missing? There aren't a ton of options in the app to play with...
    Have you logged in with the same Gmail within the app and the streamer on your pc as well? Make sure the streamer is logged in to the gmail internet discovery option, not the splashtop account login.
    08-17-12 09:56 AM
    Have you logged in with the same Gmail within the app and the streamer on your pc as well? Make sure the streamer is logged in to the gmail internet discovery option, not the splashtop account login.
    Yes, that's what I've done - but no joy. I don't know if this is helpful, but on the app, it shows the desktop ip as the internal wifi address. I would have thought the gmail finder would notify it of the actual external address. I wonder if it's a router issue?
    08-17-12 10:51 AM
    It works great and is so easy even I got it to work.
    08-17-12 11:00 AM
    Yes, that's what I've done - but no joy. I don't know if this is helpful, but on the app, it shows the desktop ip as the internal wifi address. I would have thought the gmail finder would notify it of the actual external address. I wonder if it's a router issue?
    It's supposed to do everything automatically, port forwarding and all, but sometimes, it sadly isn't the case. The best thing to do would be to contact Splashtop Support. It would probably be most efficient as they must deal with this on a daily basis. Or at least take a peak at their support forums.
    NickinVA likes this.
    08-17-12 11:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD