Hi everyone !

I'm having a real hard time choosing a tablet for my use. My choices have been narrowed down to either a iPad 2 or a Blackberry Playbook. Here's what I have at my home now:

I have a iMac desktop.
    I have 2 phones, 1 iphone 4s and 1 Blackberry Bold 9900. I am currently using the iphone 4s because of it's "enjoyment" factor. Dont get me wrong, I am also a Blackberry fan for what it offers me. I'd really like to go all Blackberry for my tablet and phone use but it seems as though I'd be taking a step back in technology if I did.

I would basically use my tablet for web browsing and games. How far behind is the Playbook from the ipad ? Honestyl, if the Playbook apps are anything like the apps for the Bold 9900, that would stink.

Can anyone give me a non-biased opinion on the comparison ? Thanks in advance !
    03-04-12 07:12 AM
    Wouldn't recommend the ipad2 right now with the 3 coming out very soon. If you can wait, do the comparison then.
    03-04-12 07:19 AM
    Thanks ...I'm sure the ipad3 will be better than the ipad2. The ipad2 will probably go down in price when the ip3 is released, putting it in the playbook cost range. That would be a good comparison then ...
    03-04-12 07:33 AM
    I wouldn't be so sure it will drop to the playbook's price range though.

Anyway it less than a week away only.

There are already plently of ipad vs playbook comparisons on crackberry. Just do a search and see what people have to say. But in the end, its up to yourself to decide. There's pros and cons on both devices, so only you can know what you can or can't live with. On your question about games, its definitely lacking behind the ipad. That's a no brainer. Ipad offers much more array of games. Playbook does have games like angry birds, nova, asphalt, cut the rope, plant vs zombies...etc. But all those are available on the ipad too, so no point arguing about that. Its just the cold hard facts. Haha.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    03-04-12 07:41 AM
    I gave up my iPad because of its size. My PB fits perfectly in my overcoat pockets. I could go into the performance advantages over the iPad but I'm sure already know them.
    Don't get me wrong, the iPad is a nice unit but like the others here have said, it's a personal choice.
    My choice was also due in part to the speed comparison. The iPad just couldn't keep up to my PB/9900 combo. Granted, the GSM provider for the iPad "may" have been lesser than my Bolds provider, but I prefer to say the combo is just simply better. I also use them for work and the iPad made cringe each time I used it to open a document.

It really does come down to your needs and desires.
    03-04-12 08:34 AM
    For web browsing the playbook is ahead of iPad2 - the iPad is a step back in this case

The playbook has great hardware.

Many great games are available (maybe you played most of them).

The playbook is more portable. You could take it out of your pocket on a bus and play

Bridge the playbook with your 9900 and you have internet access anywhere
    03-04-12 08:49 AM
    Thanks much for everyones POV ...I agree that it's a personal choice. I'm just looking for the biggest bank for the buck. Apple combo of ip4s/ipad vs 9900/PB. I'll search the forums for comparisons and go from there. Any more opinions are welcome !
    03-04-12 09:08 AM
    Ipad 2 prices will not drop by much once the 3 comes out, if history repeats you will be saving maybe bucks by getting a used old one insead of a shiney new release. the iPad one second had still cost more than a brand new Playbook

however, heres the lowdown from someone who owns both.

for internet use, the Playbook is amazing, its in a league of its own. the 7inch screen size isnt an issue for browsing since it has higher DPI than the ipad2, it fits in your pocket, it goes everywhere with you, (go back to your BB phone and bridge and it gets internet everywhere too) without paying extra for the option of 3G and a second simcard. (though i suspect Apple will have copied Bridge for the iPad3 and OS6, and will be draggig RIM up in court to sue them for copying their idea)

if you want games, the PB has some amazing free ones, Asphault and need for speed are brilliant, modern warefare is great, PewPew, Rocket storm, Runik... and they are all free. theres about 4 or five more paid for games that are amazing, neigh, mind blowing. but... it pretty much stops there. if games are your thing, the iPad 2 has FAR more choice, with Infinity Blade, and Temple Run being simply amazing. a choice of thousands (including 1200 versions of Solitaire) the iPad really does have the edge, and the larer screen makes the games far more playable.

TL-DR
    both do both of your requirements but
    Playbook wins hands down for internet
    iPad wins hands down for games,

whichever is more important to you, go with that.
    Last edited by Tomcat_Alley; 03-04-12 at 09:20 AM.
    TheUnknownUser likes this.
    03-04-12 09:12 AM
    @Tomcat ...Thanks ! Good to hear from someone who has both ...I like the fact that I can take the internet with me as opposed to having to get an additional data plan for the ipad. Entertainment is huge for me, I have to look into the BB Apps more closely ...
    03-04-12 11:10 AM
    I don't think you can get any better bang for your buck other than the playbook though. Just look at the price currently for a brand new 64gb playbook vs 16gb ipad.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    03-04-12 11:21 AM
    Yeah, a 16gb ipad is 499 vs 325 for a 64gb Playbook. I just wish the BB apps were a little better ..Still researching ..
    03-04-12 12:07 PM
    Yeah, a 16gb ipad is 499 vs 325 for a 64gb Playbook. I just wish the BB apps were a little better ..Still researching ..
    If apps are important then the ipad may be for you...
    The PB may have a smaller selection than iPad but there are still many quality ones, also remember the PlayBook has a full web experience so in many cases there won't even be a need for an app. However if games are important than the ipad wins hands down.
    03-04-12 12:41 PM
    (though i suspect Apple will have copied Bridge for the iPad3 and OS6, and will be draggig RIM up in court to sue them for copying their idea)

modern warefare
    lol i love the suing part so true that they'd do something like that haha. 2ndly i see why you'd mistype modern warefare instead of modern combat too :P

my 2cents from experience of ipad2, playbook and trasnformer prime as they are all avaiable to me. i would say comparing the ipad2 and the playbook there isnt much of a comparison when it comes to games. i find that the playbook has more than enough games to keep you busy while the others come out. where as i see the iPad has soooo many choices but i also see alot of the games more or less are the same concept. for example for everyone 1FPS game on PlayBook you'll get 5 on the iPad(someone please dont go and count and actually compare im just using make believe numbers here, but you get the jist). something that you'd also like into is that emulators that are avaiable here to download. from Gensis to GBA etc that alone will bring you a huge library of games to the playbook. and with playbook being flash enabled you can find flash games using the browser to play
    03-04-12 02:01 PM
    I dont quite understand the emulator stuff or the Android player stuff (not very tech savvy). For example, I love playing Words With Friends and Hanging With Friends on my wife's iPad2. I know that the Blackberry Playbook apps do not offer those games. Android market offers these games. Is it possible to run those games on the Playbook with the Android player ??
    03-04-12 03:34 PM
    I dont quite understand the emulator stuff or the Android player stuff (not very tech savvy). For example, I love playing Words With Friends and Hanging With Friends on my wife's iPad2. I know that the Blackberry Playbook apps do not offer those games. Android market offers these games. Is it possible to run those games on the Playbook with the Android player ??
    Okay, Android player, non issue, you don't need to understand it because you dont need to do anything with it, its very well disguised,
    As for the emulators, there are thousands of ROMs available, pretty much every game from SEGA, Nintendo, etc, available to download (legally, if you own the original so im told)
    the emulators themselves need to be sideloaded, which is as simple as downloading a program called DDPB.

this gives you a LOT of extra fun with games. and installing a game is as simple as going to coolroms, downloading a ROM and putting it (via wifi if you wish) into a folder on the PB

this is where the PB does have a LOT of advantage over the iPad. the android files that aren't in the market can be put in this way too. its REALLY easy following the guides on this forum, even for the un-technically minded

If movies are important to you, also take into consideration that the Playbook plays a LOT of different video types right out of the box, can be used as a mass storage device with no need to use any specific programs like itunes, AND has HDMI out without the need for a �50 converter.
    03-04-12 04:01 PM
    Why not both ?
    03-04-12 04:11 PM
    I can justify one or the other (wife thinks I'm gadget crazy) but definitely not both ..lol.
    03-04-12 04:21 PM
    I always recommend:
    1) Research the software/apps that you need and/or want
    2) Research and go out and play with the UI on your shortlist
    3) Buy the device (Computer/tablet/phone) that runs those apps and has the UI you prefer.

I love my PB and bought it on release day. I am thrilled with OS2. The portability, note taking in meetings, multiple inbox email client, HDMI for the TV and work presentations, web experience... Awesome...
    BUT....
    Just because I like something doesn't make it right for you. Enjoy the hunt.
    03-04-12 04:27 PM
    There is a video of words with friends on the front Page of CB as I type this hehe
    03-04-12 04:28 PM
    The games/apps on the bb OS do not compare to qnx. I have a Bold 9900 and love it. Having said that the playbook apps are WAAAY better.

Get both tablets and return what ever one you don't like. For me the Playbook fits my needs (even more now that I know how to sideload).
    03-04-12 04:56 PM
    Depending on how much weight you put on games and where you plan on using your tablet. If gaming is of high importance and you don't plan on bringing your tablet out with you, then you should be looking at the ipad. Currently no other mobile platform comes close for quantity of quality games.

However, I'd wait on the announcement for the ipad 3, which should be coming on the 7th.
    03-04-12 05:04 PM
    I'm definitely considering getting both. I wish Blackberry would realize that to stay competitive in both the smart phone and tablet markets, they must stay current with the technology and to offer (at the very least), the same things that Android and IOS offer. I really want to access some apps without having to download additional software or programs, connecting to my Mac, transferring files, etc ...I love BB but they make loving them so hard !!
    03-04-12 05:08 PM
    I don't put the majority of weight on gaming but entertainment is important to me ....
    03-04-12 05:09 PM
    if you talk about apps for sure the ipad will be better..... its true but for the internet experience, both m parents have an Ipad and the only thing I truly hate from the ipad is that there is no java for internet. So you can't use your tablet like a computer. With the playbook, well I do replace my computer with my tablet playbook. I can play game on facebook if I wish, I can go on any website I want and access anything I could access if I would be on my computer!
    03-04-12 06:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD