@BKillar, yes I do agree with that statement. I've noticed however it doesn't do that every single time but most and I haven't figured out what I'm doing different in those situations.

@Herve, yes it is a minor thing and I too am a happy GN user and so happy that XLabz continues to support the PB. But they should also give their customers what they ask for unless it is impractical or just a dumb request neither of which we have here IMO
    12-06-12 01:12 PM
    +1. Maybe people don't notice because the notes they save aren't long enough to run into the keyboard or they don't need to edit the end of their notes. But, I for one, do, on both accounts and find it annoying. Unacceptable for a much bally-hooed note-taking app.
    12-06-12 01:13 PM
    Would you add the ability to import and edit pdf's to the program?
    iBenshi likes this.
    12-06-12 02:39 PM
    +1. Maybe people don't notice because the notes they save aren't long enough to run into the keyboard or they don't need to edit the end of their notes. But, I for one, do, on both accounts and find it annoying. Unacceptable for a much bally-hooed note-taking app.
    A simple way to solve this is to start any new note with 3 blank lines, then go back to the beginning.
    The presence of extra lines at the end will result in the app avoiding the predictive part of the keyboard (which is the one that causes concern)
    stillpointworks likes this.
    12-07-12 06:35 AM
    A simple way to solve this is to start any new note with 3 blank lines, then go back to the beginning.
    The presence of extra lines at the end will result in the app avoiding the predictive part of the keyboard (which is the one that causes concern)
    I have actually used this method quite often too. Sometimes though the cursor 'jumps' back to the first empty line and today it actually kept trying to continue from the end of my last entry even though I kept spacing down. Quite odd
    12-07-12 08:03 PM
    Groovy notes is one of my faves... I use it extensively as a diary including attaching images and voice notes. The updates were all good but I have some questions to the developers:

1. When I access the camera from the GN option, it takes pictures alright and I can find the original in the PB's local "pictures' or "camera' folders. To save some space, I often delete the just taken picture from those folders and only leave the GN picture I attached to my notes...does anyone know where is it stored and whether I can access it outside the GV app, for example with Files and Folders?

2. Is there a way to reduce/compress the size of the 'raw' pictures attached within the GV app (just as the nice option allows compression of voice notes)?. I find that the huge 500KB images from PB camera are too memory consuming and above the resolution i find needed for a diary notes...
    12-20-12 03:42 AM
    I have actually used this method quite often too. Sometimes though the cursor 'jumps' back to the first empty line and today it actually kept trying to continue from the end of my last entry even though I kept spacing down. Quite odd
    Yes this is a very distracting glitch and one that should have been addressed in a note taking app. Xlabs has done a great job supporting and adding features but for some reason has not addressed what is a real sore spot on an app made specifically for taking notes IMO.
    12-20-12 08:43 AM
    I also find the lined paper thing distracting. If the lines travelled with the text it wouldn't be so bad, but there are too many times that the text lands on the lines when scrolling, and typing. And option to turn off the lines would help. The lines are purely visual, and only have purpose for writing by hand.

As for request for changing the advert button, the silence is deafening.

(I've accidentally hit it more than once while working in portrait mode when going for the little arrow to go to organizer. It's annoying.)
    12-20-12 11:57 PM
    I also find the lined paper thing distracting. If the lines travelled with the text it wouldn't be so bad, but there are too many times that the text lands on the lines when scrolling, and typing. And option to turn off the lines would help. The lines are purely visual, and only have purpose for writing by hand.
    Agreed. I think they probably participate to the decision at selling time, but then after that it's another case of, how do they call it, 'useless skeuomorphism'...
    12-21-12 01:26 AM
    Understandably, Evernote is quite weird the first few times you use it; but at least it's all in a cloud (yeah, all your notes in storage somewhere else), meaning that it doesn't effect the memory on your PlayBook. Whereas the GroovyNotes app saves all of it's notes in .txt and .pdf form on your tablet, and it has no back up.
    12-24-12 07:26 AM
    Understandably, Evernote is quite weird the first few times you use it; but at least it's all in a cloud (yeah, all your notes in storage somewhere else), meaning that it doesn't effect the memory on your PlayBook. Whereas the GroovyNotes app saves all of it's notes in .txt and .pdf form on your tablet, and it has no back up.
    FYI,
    1) Groovynotes backs up on Dropbox
    2) at least to some -of which I am- the fact parallel local backups can be performed in open formats and on the tablet is particularly important
    3) discussing memory storage for a TEXT notes app on 16~64 Gb tablets is, er, pathetic?
    spatialmongrel likes this.
    12-25-12 02:47 PM
    Just picked this app up, and read through the first four or five pages of this thread before realising that each page was longer than I'd thought before starting. So far, I'm really enjoying it, and trying to see if I can transfer my entire Dungeons and Dragons game over to it, maps and drawings included, with a good amount of success, I might add.

The tag filter works well, and I would suggest tagging off the bat so that you don't have to discover the use of the feature later and have to go back tagging all your notes. I'd like to see a tag suggestions list pop up so that you don't accidentally end up with multiple similar tags due to typos.

The sketch feature works fairly well, though feels as clumsy and imprecise as SketchWFriends. The main problem I feel is that there is no erase button. The undo button works alright, until you want to modify the start of your sketch, which requires that you undo your whole sketch to get to it. If I have a picture displayed, running through my TV for everyone to see, and I'm marking it up progressively like a football play, I want to be able to erase and modify markings as I see fit, and not in the order they were sketched.

I think the export function should let you choose whether you want it in txt or pdf, to avoid clutter. I'm not concerned about space, but mess, which can already be a bit of a nightmare on the PlayBook.

And I think I read something about AIR, which is what? The format used for the programming? Like HTML or flash? Is that why every XLabz app or game I've bought runs like it was dipped in molasses? It's not a HUGE problem, but it can lessen the experience, like in Who Got Brains when you're against the clock, and the game is stuttering through challenges. I open Diary Pro, and it's like suddenly walking into a Zen garden after being in a crowded mall. Is there no way to speed this app up, make it more responsive? It's a great app, but one which I'm embarrassed to show to anyone because it makes it look like the PlayBook can't handle it. And I'm a little worried that the more notes I make, the slower it'll get.

I'll echo the annoyance at the non-scrolling lines as you read through text. And I'd love to see a bridged calendar integration, though maybe this would further reduce the performance as it pulls in my plethora of meetings and appointments and reminders.

Edit: I created a dropbox account for backing up, and noticed afterbthe first backup, that only 4 of my attachments had been saved. A second backup managed to store the other 10 or so.

Also, when viewing attachments, it would be nice to be able to switch to a full screen mode, rather than having the picture framed within the app's window. And the ability to reorient the image would be useful, as all my pictures seem to default to the original orientation in which the picture was taken on my phone, despite having reoriented it with my phone before transferring it to my PlayBook. On a side note, I'm psyched at having a reason for having a dropbox account, and for inventing more reasons for having one, as has been the case in many situations since I bought my PlayBook. BB10: invention is the milf of necessity.

Overall, though, I'm really liking GroovyNotes. It looks good, and it's full of functions and features.
    Last edited by KidCaboose; 12-31-12 at 09:10 AM.
    Herve5 likes this.
    12-31-12 08:27 AM
    Not sure if this has happened to anyone else, but when i have my phone bridged, and receive notifiers for messages, Groovy Notes becomes borderline unusable. The text input drops to about a letter per second, and eventually just starts skipping letters and spaces, leaving me with a long line of gibberish.

Inconvenient, seen as I bridge my phone during meetings for my calendar, contacts and emails, and go on bbm frenzies coz meetings suck and it just looks like I love taking notes!
    12-31-12 05:20 PM
    Groovy Notes, needs a swipe down menu. The buttons are ****e.
    01-01-13 06:15 AM
    Okay, not sure what happened here. After running Groovy Notes for most of the day yesterday, with a little bridge action and some DropBox testing, I closed everything, severed the bridge connection, put the PlayBook on standby, wi-fi connected, battery in the 90-100% range. Woke up this morning with my PlayBook at 0% charge, and after letting it charge to 20%, couldn't get my wi-fi to respond at all, requiring a reset of the device.

Anyone had this happen before? Would it have had anything to do with my Groovy Noting, DropBoxing or bridging? It was like my PlayBook had been active running something in the background all night, perhaps wi-fi related.
    stillpointworks likes this.
    01-01-13 09:18 AM
    I personally haven't seen this on mine. I do normally close everything before bedtime though but everything open and running pretty much all during the day. I have noticed before that if the wi-fi signal is low the PB works harder and battery depletes faster. Now whether it would do that while in standby I can't say. That amount of overnight drop does seem rather extreme.
    01-01-13 12:00 PM
    Never had that happen.
    01-01-13 12:09 PM
    I have been thinking about buying GN and just got it today. Have yet to have time to get into it.

I *REALLY* need syncing to MS Outlook. I simply cannot use cloud services due to ehtical constraints on my confidential data. If I could sync thru USB to my laptop or Bridge, I could call this a full business app.

I have been impressed with the developer's responsiveness. A lot of hard work has obviously gone into this app.
    01-01-13 08:31 PM
    Hi All,
    I have been using groovy notes for months now - I use it to make study notes, meeting minutes and goal setting notes, here are my thoughts; the overall look and feel of the programme is really nice, it opens up like a black leather filofax. Once it has opened up you have the same idea with appearance, one the left side you have manilla brown tags which you can assign to whatever names you like, these can expand or contract, almost like pulling a drawer out, then in the centre you. Have the page divided by the metal rings of ghe filofax, and finally on the rigt hand side of the screen you have you 'paper' - you can tap to expand this across the whole page, and also choose font & size. The feel of the app is smooth and straightforward.
    You have the option of password protecting all you notes, you can back them up locally on your playbook, export them as pdfs and also set upba drop box account and save / synchronise them with cloud / main computer which is what I do - it does the whole thing just at the tap of a button, and I have had no issues with it at all.
    The only niggle I had before the most recent update was that the onscreen keyboard used to get in the way of text on a long page, but they have fixed that and it automatically scrolls up so you can see what you are doing.

This is one of the few apps that I use every day and really rely on, and that I would recommend to anyone who asked (the other main one is conqu - it is like having a mobile brain, once you start using it you'll wonder how you managed without it, especially since the most recent update which gives you the chance to set up repeating tasks).

I hope that helps, if you have any more questions, just let me know. Happy new year.
    XLabz likes this.
    01-02-13 01:12 AM
    Not sure if this has happened to anyone else, but when i have my phone bridged, and receive notifiers for messages, Groovy Notes becomes borderline unusable. The text input drops to about a letter per second, and eventually just starts skipping letters and spaces, leaving me with a long line of gibberish.

Inconvenient, seen as I bridge my phone during meetings for my calendar, contacts and emails, and go on bbm frenzies coz meetings suck and it just looks like I love taking notes!
    This is why I use Evernote. It is all online, nothing is connected to your playbook apart from the app, so as long as you have a decent internet connection, Bridge doesn't affect it whatsoever.

Josh Crowe - Curve 9320 & 64GB PlayBook
    01-02-13 06:49 PM
    I purchased Groovy Notes to record meeting minutes. They seemed to have recorded great, I could hear everyone pretty clearly!!! I was wondering is there a way to "fast forword" through them so when I am translating them and have to stop for something, I don't have to start at the very beginning again.

thank you
    01-10-13 04:50 PM
    I purchased Groovy Notes to record meeting minutes. They seemed to have recorded great, I could hear everyone pretty clearly!!! I was wondering is there a way to "fast forword" through them so when I am translating them and have to stop for something, I don't have to start at the very beginning again.

thank you
    There is a small button just next to the record button for compacting the notes, once you click on that and have the audio compacted, the app would allow you to scrub through the audio. If you still have issues, please email us on [email protected].
    01-11-13 04:03 AM
    I recently bought GN but I think that was a mistake. It seems it won't do what I need.

Main use was to be in creating To-Do lists for a number of personal projects. Each project would have several main divisions and each of those would have a list of tasks. I think I could get GN to do that.

But, what I would really like to do, is plan the work in my home office using my laptop. Then export to the PB. Once on Playbook, I would want to edit or add to lists and then sync changes back to laptop. When away, I don't always have wifi available, so sync would have to be done once linked or when I get back home.

I was sucked in by great reviews for GN and the pretty interface. My fault - I should have read up more about it.

Looks like I need an app that has both a Windows and PB version with sync between the two.

I have actually tried GN and have a few comments:
    - I had to guess as to how many functions work. Almost no on or off-line help.
    - tapping the area tab requires several tries before the icon box pops up. I almost gave up on the icons, because tapping mostly didn't work.
    - there are a limited number of icons. Things like text and numbers are missing. A way to design custom icons would be useful. No cars? Few boats? Most icons not too relevant to our lifestyle.

I am sure many will find this app useful, but I may just have to go back to using Excel/Dropbox
    01-12-13 04:27 PM
    Is anyone able to get the latest update? I am getting 'error, try again later'

Edit: Refresh List cleared the error. All is well.
    Last edited by castleruins; 10-31-13 at 04:39 PM.
    10-28-13 08:06 AM
    I just bought groovynotes a week ago, since I got my brand new 'shiny' playbook and all.

Works so good so far, only thing is the pic and audio recording, I don't think you can do a few of them in a single note, or its just like that by design.
    11-04-13 05:29 PM
225 ... 789
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD