Hi xlabz, any news on a potential update that will take advantage of the type assist capabilities in groovy notes?

I just purchased the app, and it's the one thing that is kind of holding me back on using this more often. I find myself having to spend more time going back and double checking my notes for typos. I find the PB type assist works well enough to merit having it included.

Thanks.
    04-16-12 07:27 PM
    I too have a few suggestions, will you add predictive text, auto-capitalization, double space for period, photo support, multiple voice notes?

I am hoping that with the release of cascades we will see some integration with native calendar and most importantly faster load time.
    05-02-12 12:09 AM
    Great program.

For taking notes, some form of outlining or indentation would be helpful.
    05-02-12 01:02 PM
    Can anyone help me please. I had to wipe my PB. Now back up and running.

I had issues restoring GN then realised it was because I never "backed up". I always used to synchronise.

So I copy and pasted all my notes into a fresh download of GN (it's the 2nd tab) I get the error that it can't backup and to try later. Screen shot attached.

Any ideas please?
    05-16-12 05:26 PM
    I had the same error so I used sync instead. Sometime later I realized, by checking dropbox, that it had indeed backed up - despite the error message. Try it yourself and check the date and time of the file in dropbox - it should be the date and time you tried to back up.
    BearSnout likes this.
    05-16-12 05:31 PM
    Oh you're right! Thanks!

XLabz, we have a bug it seems? You get the error but it does actually work.

Thanks Victor, I appreciate it.
    05-16-12 05:53 PM
    No problem - that's the beauty of these forums!
    BearSnout likes this.
    05-16-12 06:03 PM
    Xlabz are busy doing their sketch w friends for facebook. Hope we get an update soon.
    LuayS likes this.
    05-16-12 07:09 PM
    when will we get a decent backup option? I don't use dropbox nor have plans to ever use it. Being able to backup directly to desktop would be nice.
    09-28-12 10:44 AM
    Groovynotes had an update today to V3.0
    If anyone could enlighten me as to what has changed I would appreciate it.
    Thanks.
    10-04-12 08:58 AM
    Groovynotes had an update today to V3.0
    If anyone could enlighten me as to what has changed I would appreciate it.
    Thanks.
    Well at the time being the details on their site are not updated ;-)
    But I installed the update myself, so I can tell you there are at least three new features:

- possibility to change text font and size, with separate rotating pickers, apparently for the full text of a note (so, you'll have different notes with different fonts, but you cannot get two fonts within the same note, or I didn't find how)

- possibility to rearrange the order of the notes categories (in previous versions you had to move all notes outside a cat then delete it then recreate it at the top if you wanted to do this!) The new way is just simple and easy, drag'n drop after clicking a dedicated button

- additional "compact the notes" menu in the gear button.

I see the voice notes can be compacted from raw to mp3 too, but as I don't use them I'm not sure this is new or not.

All in all a very welcome update; the above two points indeed where two of my recommendations to the team when I bought.
    (another wish was syncing with ordinary ftp servers in addition to dropbox but this is still to come, and I must say I appreciate the extensive export facilities --pdf, text, mp3, images...)

With the day-autonomy of the Playbook this becomes my essential tool for meeting/congress participation. I'm even contemplating renouncing to my DSLR since the PB photos are efficiently associated to the notes.
    10-04-12 09:24 AM
    yes!!! just saw the update as well. I left paper for a few months and used GNotes but the font issue was driving me crazy. So glad to see the update. I still capture notes electronically as it rocks to search with a keystroke versus flipping pages. All this time....I've been updating a word doc! Now it's time to copy them over to GNotes
    10-04-12 10:36 AM
    As to searching... in GN all I can get is single-word searches, which I find sad: do you know a way of searching on two words?
    (when I enter word1 word2 in the field I only get those notes containing exactly the complete expression "word1 word2"!)
    10-04-12 11:58 AM
    Hi Herve!

We were just going to post about the new update on Groovy Notes! Thanks for your detailed post You've covered the entire set of new features!

And with regards to the search query you mentioned, it's a very good suggestion. We will keep that in mind and try to include that in our next update.

Well at the time being the details on their site are not updated ;-)
    But I installed the update myself, so I can tell you there are at least three new features:

- possibility to change text font and size, with separate rotating pickers, apparently for the full text of a note (so, you'll have different notes with different fonts, but you cannot get two fonts within the same note, or I didn't find how)

- possibility to rearrange the order of the notes categories (in previous versions you had to move all notes outside a cat then delete it then recreate it at the top if you wanted to do this!) The new way is just simple and easy, drag'n drop after clicking a dedicated button

- additional "compact the notes" menu in the gear button.

I see the voice notes can be compacted from raw to mp3 too, but as I don't use them I'm not sure this is new or not.

All in all a very welcome update; the above two points indeed where two of my recommendations to the team when I bought.
    (another wish was syncing with ordinary ftp servers in addition to dropbox but this is still to come, and I must say I appreciate the extensive export facilities --pdf, text, mp3, images...)

With the day-autonomy of the Playbook this becomes my essential tool for meeting/congress participation. I'm even contemplating renouncing to my DSLR since the PB photos are efficiently associated to the notes.
    10-05-12 12:38 AM
    btw with this update you have something like an annoyance if not a bug: when connecting to DropBox, the new, larger login panel with-all-the-nice-Dropbox-html-page reaches the successful login/association message, but then there is absolutely no way to dismiss it apart clicking on the "cancel" button, which does cancel all the process indeed.

The only workaround I found was to QUIT Groovy Notes very precisely with this success-panel open, then relaunch it, and there it has remembered the 'pairing' and it syncs.

P. S. As concerns searching, I've been thinking about how to minimize interface clunkyness when implementing a 'serious search' with as few buttons as possible.
    I believe for instance that handling wildcards could be done without any interface addition, just like most internet searches do, by assuming a word can also be a wordpart unless the user intentionally adds a white space after it (so, searching for "Groov" would also bring "Groovy" by default unless you entered "Groov_")
    Similarly, handling "and" and "or" conditions could be set as "AND is by default unless specified otherwise", which would then require only one "or" button.
    The only complication I can't easily solve is the handling of nested conditions like (groovy OR Groovy) and (notes OR Notes), which looks complicated unless we decide for a specific command character -but even without nesting a multiple-word search would definitely set you apart as a professional tool.
    Last edited by Herve5; 10-05-12 at 04:06 AM.
    castleruins likes this.
    10-05-12 03:36 AM
    Will the DropBox issue be resolved quickly, please.
    Groovy Notes by XLabz-groovynoteserrordropbopx.jpg
    10-09-12 06:23 PM
    Will the DropBox issue be resolved quickly, please.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GroovyNotesErrorDropBopx.JPG 
Views:	125 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	122680
    Hi! We've already submitted an update for this and it should be approved soon. Will let you know as soon as it goes live.
    10-10-12 12:21 AM
    btw with this update you have something like an annoyance if not a bug: when connecting to DropBox, the new, larger login panel with-all-the-nice-Dropbox-html-page reaches the successful login/association message, but then there is absolutely no way to dismiss it apart clicking on the "cancel" button, which does cancel all the process indeed.

The only workaround I found was to QUIT Groovy Notes very precisely with this success-panel open, then relaunch it, and there it has remembered the 'pairing' and it syncs.

P. S. As concerns searching, I've been thinking about how to minimize interface clunkyness when implementing a 'serious search' with as few buttons as possible.
    I believe for instance that handling wildcards could be done without any interface addition, just like most internet searches do, by assuming a word can also be a wordpart unless the user intentionally adds a white space after it (so, searching for "Groov" would also bring "Groovy" by default unless you entered "Groov_")
    Similarly, handling "and" and "or" conditions could be set as "AND is by default unless specified otherwise", which would then require only one "or" button.
    The only complication I can't easily solve is the handling of nested conditions like (groovy OR Groovy) and (notes OR Notes), which looks complicated unless we decide for a specific command character -but even without nesting a multiple-word search would definitely set you apart as a professional tool.
    Hi Herve!

The way the authorization mechanism for Dropbox (and most other services which use OAuth – such as Facebook and Twitter) works is that the user is displayed a log in page where he enters his credentials and grants the application the required permissions.

Once this is done, the web page reloads to confirm this to the user (the successful association message in case of Dropbox for example).

In the background however the application is supposed to receive an "access token", which is like a ticket which the application can then use to perform various operations. Once the application receives this token, it discards the web-view and resumes its operations.

Sometimes however, the web page is loaded much earlier but in the background the application receives the access token after some delay. This behavior usually occurs when some part of the web page is not loaded completely - may be just an image which takes too long to load! Normally the access token is received within just 1 or 2 seconds, sometimes it just takes longer!

That is why there is no button or control to dismiss the view - if the view were discarded before the application receives the token, then the user would have to repeat the log in process once again! The view would be automatically dismissed once the application has the access token. It would be best to wait a few seconds until the view is automatically discarded.
    10-10-12 02:12 AM
    Hi All,

We've just released v3.0.1 of Groovy Notes. This fixes the bug related to special characters coming up in names of files and folders when synchronizing with Dropbox. Please update to this latest version and let us know if it works fine.
    10-11-12 02:35 AM
    I have been using Groovy notes for a while now. I have even used it in class and in meetings. It's by far one of the best note applications for the Playbook.

I've given up hope for MS to release an actual OneNote application for the Playbook (as they did for the Android and (Max)-iPad). The application that was recently released for OneNote is not worth the $20. All I want is something that will sync with my OneNote Application online and on my PC. I don't use Dropbox anymore, I only use either Google Drive or SkyDrive. I would love it if I were able to upload my meeting and class notes to either my Google Drive or my SkyDrive account and import them into my ONeNote Application using the Groovy Notes App on my Playbook.

Do you think this could be taken into consideration for a future update?
    10-11-12 04:18 AM
    I have been using Groovy notes for a while now. I have even used it in class and in meetings. It's by far one of the best note applications for the Playbook.

I've given up hope for MS to release an actual OneNote application for the Playbook (as they did for the Android and (Max)-iPad). The application that was recently released for OneNote is not worth the $20. All I want is something that will sync with my OneNote Application online and on my PC. I don't use Dropbox anymore, I only use either Google Drive or SkyDrive. I would love it if I were able to upload my meeting and class notes to either my Google Drive or my SkyDrive account and import them into my ONeNote Application using the Groovy Notes App on my Playbook.

Do you think this could be taken into consideration for a future update?
    We do have plans to include more backup options (Box.net being the 1st priority). Depending on how many requests we get from our users for Google Drive or SkyDrive integration, we might decide to support these in the future. As it stands now, Box.net is the one which a lot of PlayBook users have asked for.
    MrC05 likes this.
    10-11-12 04:39 AM
    We do have plans to include more backup options (Box.net being the 1st priority). Depending on how many requests we get from our users for Google Drive or SkyDrive integration, we might decide to support these in the future. As it stands now, Box.net is the one which a lot of PlayBook users have asked for.
    I for one vote for the plain, good, old, and open ftp system.
    Mind you, the only one that allows you to own your cloud backup ;-)
    But I am serious here: I'd go up to sponsoring you, i. e. paying specifically for this addition.
    H.
    mountainlab likes this.
    10-11-12 07:20 AM
    I understand what you're saying about what priorities you have lined up at this time. I'm just asking that as soon as you're done with the BOX.net project, please take SERIOUS consideration for Google Drive and SkyDrive. Go through the Crackberry Forums a little more. There is a serious demand for those 2 applications along with a demand for the OneNote Application. A Prime Example would be an application called Files and Folders (Not trying to compare you to them, just using it as an example for the demand aspect). This is the best file management application in App World (Just my judgement, not speaking for all of the Crackberry Kingdom). They've just integrated Google Drive and Skydrive. Take a look @ the 569 reviews in App World. 95% or better positive reviews. Average rating 4.5 stars. That went up as soon as they updated the app to include GDrive and SkyDrive.

Bottom line is this. You already have the best Notebook App for the Playbook. I just want to be able to get my meeting and class notes directly from my Playbook to my MS OneNote app without having to cut and paste the correct file. Adding those 2, will definitely step up your demand.
    10-12-12 04:12 AM
    The example of Files & Folder is striking, IMHO, because they are not the best file manager: File Browser, for instance, is three times faster on startup, twice more reactive too, and has a more efficient GUI allowing to walk anywhere in a folder's above hierarchy in just one click.
    And still, F&F did raise to the top of the fashion apps, even if just for a while, because presumably of their cloud support*.

I think this is very telling, and a bit sad IMHO.
    We are here people that deliberately chose not to go with Apple and Google duopoly, we knew this meant less choice for apps and still deliberately made the move -and on the first occasion we rush back into Google's arms.

And nobody to mention a simple ftp sync would bring the same ease, without big brothers...

The issue is even more general: RIM themselve propose Gmail as the way to sync your contacts (ordinary imports no way), and I suspect even in the fanatic Linux world we'll find 90% of the people proudly announcing of course, they are Google-integrated.
    After this... we get what we deserve... (and RIM too)

H.
    (*) they are also very good at image handling (that's for their capacity to slideshow from any folder I bought them)
    Techno-Emigre likes this.
    10-12-12 05:15 AM
    before i buy Groovy Notes can i check that the calendar syncs with the native calendar as I use Gmail to sync my BB Torch PB and PC
    10-20-12 03:40 AM
225 ... 56789
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD