Anyone know of a good graphing calculator app? I cant seem to find one, but I am considering a playbook for my son when he starts high school in the fall, but he will also need a graphing calculator, and they cost almost as much as a playbook! Advice please!
    02-28-12 06:50 PM
    There are graphing apps in App World.
    02-28-12 07:10 PM
    Well this is for high school...

The native calculator app on the playbook is excellent for high school, it has the scientific option and an excellent converter...but it doesn't graph
    Although this will probably cover 90% of what he'll need.

One excellent source for graphing is the website Wolfram|Alpha: Computational Knowledge Engine
    Type an equation in the box on this webpage and it'll give you a nice graph
    (they offer a monthly fee service ($5/month, $3/month-for-students) for extra features and abilities - Ex. 3D graphs)
    This site runs smoothly on the playbook

Your son would need wifi at school (I'm sure they have it) or a BB phone to bridge with to access the internet (or other phone with wifi hotspoting)

The point is the combination of the native calculator and Wolfram|Alpha: Computational Knowledge Engine would be excellent
    Last edited by anthogag; 02-28-12 at 09:50 PM.
    02-28-12 07:44 PM
    Thank you to you both. His school requires an actual graphing calculator, a scientific one no longer makes the cut for high school in Canada. I will re-do my search in app world, i must have been stunned the first time around.
    02-28-12 08:05 PM
    Update: going to try the free "Functy" app. Screenshot below...
    02-28-12 09:16 PM
    Update: going to try the free "Functy" app. Screenshot below...
    This screenshot you show, it's in the native playbook scientific calculator

I see you have a playbook. In the calculator app swipe down and you'll see Scientific Calculator
    Last edited by anthogag; 02-28-12 at 09:53 PM.
    02-28-12 09:51 PM
    I use a TI 83 emulator on my android tablet but I haven't tried converting it for playbook yet. When I get time Ill test it and report back

Sent from my Blackberry Playbook
    02-28-12 10:59 PM
    "Algeo Calculator" looks like a winner, and free to boot. (Oddly enough, i was not able to find it in AppWorld by searching for "graphing calculator")
    Herve5 likes this.
    07-30-12 06:31 PM
    "Almost TI", a TI graphing calculator emulator was recently ported to PlayBook. Check out the first page of the stickied emulator news thread to get it.
    oneday116 likes this.
    07-30-12 07:18 PM
    I think you should ask Koz to convert the Android Droid48 calculator to a BAR file for you so we can all upload this awesome app. Esp for all us engineers who need an extra awesome app to justify using the Playbook as a tool for work. Link to the Droid48 is here:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d..._result#?t=W10.
    07-31-12 09:11 AM
    Droid48 is an Android native app so it can't be run on a Playbook by simply converting it to a bar.

AlmostTI will run TI-83 era calculators which I think is still the standard in most high schools and has a link in the emulator sticky at the top of this forum. A Playbook may not be a replacement for the graphing calculator though as it will most likely not be allowed during tests.
    08-02-12 11:21 AM
    Funny! Giving kids the use of WiFi in class! It's bad enough those with data plans are under their desks on Facebook and Twitter 1/2 the time. Try to teach these days. yeesh.
    03-13-13 04:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD