7 Apps Selected! Winners Are:

Update for everyone. You can monitor the app status list here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...0E&output=html

The results have been tallied. Originally I intended to work on 1 app. I've decided on 7 apps I will start work on right away.

That means we have a:

- First place winner ($50)
    vgwillm, medical diary.
    - A second place winner ($15)
    joe.blow2, panoramic camera
    - And a third place winner ($5)
    roboticgolem, (private/email req.)

In the file above, the 7 apps I've decided for the first push are marked with a "DO" in the column N.

I will use this source code to generate more apps later. The reason i chose vgwillms idea is because its a good cause. The source could be used for several other apps. And because it frees up time to fit a few more in. I hesitate to take on too many large apps until next month with OS2 - because if RIM or other can do it better, it makes sense to wait. Great ideas folks and i will use this as a bucket list. when i return to any of these apps i will message you to discuss. i highly highly recommend other devs do the same. Anyone who wants to collaborate on the list just let me know.

Please take the list with a grain of salt, I sat down and went through each item and tried to be clear about why I chose them. Thanks for being patient folks and great suggestions. I will pick the top three very shorty and send out the PayPal presents

~ Ed.

<former text preserved below>

I know lots of people want new apps for the PlayBook! But everyone wants something a little different. So, now is the time to contribute to developement in a brand new way and make some money while you are at it.

Got an app to suggest?

I have some free time coming up and I'm looking to work on some new applications. I wanted to try something new that might be fun for everyone. So here's the deal I'm proposing:

Suggest your ideas if you want an app created (information below). Or, if you are a developer who wants to jump in and help someone with an app, reply to this thread about which application you want to help with and I'll make sure you get recognition.

Submitting suggestions:

- Submit your app idea (one or two sentences is best) as specific as possible.
    Ex: An application that can edit HTML files for web design.
    - How much to sell it for and the proposed split
    Ex: $0.99. 60/40, Requestor gets 40%

More details:
    - You should submit a max of 3 ideas (make it the best!)
    - Avoid third-party formats when possible (i.e. Netflix)
    - You will become the designer during the making of the app (expect questions!)
    - It needs to be done within 1 month
    - I can dedicate ~1 hour a day (~30 hours)
    - Apps can be cross platform
    - You need a PayPal account (so, I can pay you your share!)
    - It is best if you can side-load applications to test it during the building process. Info can be found here.

To spice this up: I'll send the winning applicant $50 on PayPal when the application is sent to the AppWorld.

Note: You can send me ideas in private if you want (if I get too many emails I might not reply to them all... I will try) but if you post them here to the group you will have better visibility to other developers and might pick up a different (better) developer.

Target is to pick a winning submission by Friday

- Ed.
    Last edited by KermEd; 01-07-12 at 11:21 PM.
    01-03-12 08:07 PM
    I would like a simple video editing app. Take video clips, enable deletion of segments, string them together, enable deletion or replacement of audio tracks, save result in the same mp4 format.
    01-03-12 09:30 PM
    How about an application that keeps track of everything pertaining to dating and relationships. Like keeping important dates, costs, budgets, favourite things like books, colours, friends, music. The app could set up reminders for buying gifts or even suggest a random surprise or anything to keep you out of the "dog house" The app could go for $1.99 and be 60/40, 40 for requester.
    KermEd, quik4life and CDM76 like this.
    01-03-12 09:40 PM
    a program that takes panorama photos. all other platforms have one like photaf for android

also a plugin to get adblock on the browser
    01-03-12 10:00 PM
    Don't know if it's even possible but having the ability to use your blackberry device as keyboard+mouse for the playbook would be awesome. Connection through bluetooth would be ideal but wifi could work too.

3.99 60/40
    01-03-12 10:08 PM
    I know its a little gimmicky, but I like to see some sort of visualization audio player. Even something like a party player for when you use the hdmi to connect it to a full on entertainment system. Something other than just the title, with an option to keep the screen from blanking out while playing.

1.99 75/25
    01-03-12 10:36 PM
    Idea #1
    I'd really like a full featured Reddit app. Sort of like BaconReader in Android. If you're a reddit user, then the features like the reddit enhancement suite would be cool too. Sell it for $1.99 - 90/10

Idea #2
    Not sure if it's doable at all, but an OS emulator shell that will run old non-qnx BB apps on the Playbook for the thousands of apps that are already out there. Sell it for 9.99 - 90/10
    KermEd, scott.slater and quik4life like this.
    01-03-12 10:47 PM
    A simple lock screen app where users can create a personalized message when the PB is powered on or woken up from stand by. For example: "If found please call 123-456-9999 to make someone very happy!"

Its not a complicated concept but one that would have broad appeal

Suggested price .99
    84 / 15 split
    Last edited by bourgolo; 01-03-12 at 11:06 PM. Reason: more details
    01-03-12 10:49 PM
    i would love to see an EFIS app....basically something that uses the gps/accelerometer to mimic the instruments in an aircraft. The ipad has something like this called ihud (iHUD a mobile glass cockpit visualizer for the iPhone and iPad) that sells for about $6. Its one of those gee-whiz "look at what my tablet can do" apps...but theres a market for this kind of stuff.
    KermEd likes this.
    01-03-12 10:49 PM
    Don't know if it's even possible but having the ability to use your blackberry device as keyboard+mouse for the playbook would be awesome. Connection through bluetooth would be ideal but wifi could work too.

3.99 60/40
    I believe that will be part of OS 2.0 - so it has been said. First thing I thought of / expected when I heard about the playbook .
    they will never get me to give up my real keyboard.
    KermEd likes this.
    01-03-12 11:02 PM
    Wow, fantastic ideas guys. I got a few by email already too! Most of these look very do-able and some need access to the PlayBook beyond what the SDK allows (yet). Which means some of these might need to be examined in official OS2 - but thats certainly not a no

Once all the ideas are in, Ill start figuring it all out. But what great ideas you guys - I love all of these. And it is looking very promising. I may need to plan for more than 1 app.
    01-04-12 12:14 AM
    I believe that will be part of OS 2.0 - so it has been said. First thing I thought of / expected when I heard about the playbook .
    they will never get me to give up my real keyboard.
    Admittedly, I bought a cheap bluetooth keyboard for my PlayBook from China for a few bucks on eBay for the same reason.

I think the best way to do this is to build the phone app as a Bluetooth Keyboard and Mouse emulator. Would be fun and challenging. The hard part is the phone side.
    01-04-12 12:16 AM
    port firefox. this is gotta stay free though.
    01-04-12 03:00 AM
    hmmm...i find it strange that you need to ask for ideas.do you own a playbook?lol

pdf reader

usb host

video downloading,besides youtube.

video player with software mode.so it can support codecs.

email

playstation 1 emulator.and other emulators.

install and uninstall for apps.install bar files from within pb.

rar zip etc with multiple archive support.

irc client that you dont need all irc commands memorized to use.with file transfer support.

ftp/fxp client.

better file browser than the ones available.with copy to and
    move to functions.file association if possible.

download manager

audio player with codec support.so we can play any music file.with
    more options than native player,like a file mode.

i dont really care about participating or making money since im not a programmer.
    just make apps.lol
    Last edited by sammy454; 01-04-12 at 03:33 AM.
    scott.slater, Berrimad and Nrs819 like this.
    01-04-12 03:03 AM
    Nice plan KermEd. My app proposal is a simple Notepad/Scratchpad (then supporting basic text formatting and URLs) effortlessly synched to the cloud (ie gdocs, yahoo notepad, MS Skydrive) to complement the upcoming PIM offer in OS2 (mail, calendar, contacts) and bring the whole basic suite to PB and why not BB as well.

Suggested sale price: $1.99 with promos at $0.99; split 70/30
    KermEd likes this.
    01-04-12 07:54 AM
    I would like a simple video editing app. Take video clips, enable deletion of segments, string them together, enable deletion or replacement of audio tracks, save result in the same mp4 format.
    I think RIM went ahead of you and got an entire company dedicated to that purpose :-)
    Wolf.
    01-04-12 07:58 AM
    I don't think this is doable but - some kind of Macro execution that can run behind other apps. Like Shortcutme or Quicklaunch on bbphones.

I don't know what rim has for OS2 and editing but I still want a diagonal right-swipe bringing up a cursor keypad - up/down/left/right/home/end/pageup/pagedown (and tab)
    KermEd and ALToronto like this.
    01-04-12 09:40 AM
    App Ideas

1) An application that plays most video formats would be very helpful.
    $0.99 (I would not like any profit.)

2) An RDP that just does what it's supposed to do, connect to a computer and does not need any software on the computer you would like to connect to.
    $2.99 (I would not like any profit.)

3) An application like the old age or fat app on the "i" devices, good for the kids and sometimes can be a good laugh.
    KermEd and scott.slater like this.
    01-04-12 11:58 AM
    I know I've suggested this as have others but I'll suggest it again.

An Notification app that would warn you when your BB and PB are out of Bridge range. It needs to work on both the BB and the PB, so that the alert goes off on both and can be silenced from either. It would be nice to have the alerts customizable. This would be a great safety net in case you forget your PB somewhere. It could also help to find a misplaced PB, if you just turn off the Bridge on the BB, you'll hear the alert.

100%/ 2 free copies
    KermEd, scott.slater and Barljo like this.
    01-04-12 12:19 PM
    Can someone please make a WD app... (western digital) so I can access my NAS drive over wifi...
    KermEd likes this.
    01-04-12 12:22 PM
    I know I've suggested this as have others but I'll suggest it again.

An Notification app that would warn you when your BB and PB are out of Bridge range. It needs to work on both the BB and the PB, so that the alert goes off on both and can be silenced from either. It would be nice to have the alerts customizable. This would be a great safety net in case you forget your PB somewhere. It could also help to find a misplaced PB, if you just turn off the Bridge on the BB, you'll hear the alert.

100%/ 2 free copies
    it tells u if its disconnected already why do u need an app to do that?
    01-04-12 12:25 PM
    App Ideas

2) An RDP that just does what it's supposed to do, connect to a computer and does not need any software on the computer you would like to connect to.
    I second and if possible third this app. But I have a caveat. Make it so it works over bridge, allow it to connect via a BES BB to a backend network (if possible) and up the price to 6.99. Keep all the profit for an app like that.
    KermEd likes this.
    01-04-12 12:25 PM
    it tells u if its disconnected already why do u need an app to do that?
    Because, when you walk out of a restaurant or somewhere without your PB, the PB Notification might ding but that's on the PB sitting inside. Are you going to hear it? Are you going to pull out your BB to see if the Bridge icon is showing? When you walk out the door and your BB starts gettin' jiggy in your pocket, it will get your attention. Just one example...
    scott.slater likes this.
    01-04-12 12:32 PM
    I think RIM went ahead of you and got an entire company dedicated to that purpose :-)
    Wolf.
    Well - that was in July! Does it really take this long to write an app, or has the relationship soured? I'm still transferring video clips to my desktop Mac and editing them with iMovie, then transferring the complete videos back.
    01-04-12 06:51 PM
    App Ideas

1) An application that plays most video formats would be very helpful.
    $0.99 (I would not like any profit.)

3) An application like the old age or fat app on the "i" devices, good for the kids and sometimes can be a good laugh.
    I actually submitted a Fart App once Many different sounds too! But it was rejected because they dont want those types of apps in AppWorld. Good ideas though, I like all three
    01-04-12 09:13 PM
135 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD