Just took the playbook with new software out for a spin and Google Navigation worked perfect!!!
    02-21-12 11:38 AM
    Thanks...I linked this useful information to my thread.http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-2-0-a-700834/
    02-21-12 11:43 AM
    how about iGO or something?

I want something that won't require an internet connection...
    02-21-12 11:45 AM
    Google Nav is not gonna happen unless Microsoft applies pressure, ie not gonna happen.
    02-22-12 01:47 AM
    Just took the playbook with new software out for a spin and Google Navigation worked perfect!!!
    how did you get this???
    02-22-12 03:29 AM
    Navigation on the PlayBook is one of the things I would have killed for.

I cannot wait to try this out.
    02-22-12 03:55 AM
    Yes navigation works very well. it's an android app which you can find on this board. you need to side load it.

You you don't know, you can research on the board
    02-22-12 04:11 AM
    02-22-12 04:16 AM
    mine is constantly stuck at waiting for location.

is this country specific?
    02-22-12 04:55 AM
    which version provides actual driving directions??
    02-22-12 09:28 AM
    In my case, it sees the GPS and tracks you just fine, but when I get to navigation, it freezes and after a few seconds complains about GPS signal being lost. Get out of navigation - everything is fine, I can see the cursor moving on the map. Happened with 6.0.2 and 6.0.3. Any ideas?
    02-22-12 09:33 AM
    Ok, so google Nav, like bing maps, thinks i'm in canada. I put in a location here in Philly and it gave me a route starting on Ottawa Road 19 some where in Canada. Also, looks like it's searching for GPS. Does this mean my GPS isn't working?
    02-22-12 10:15 AM
    I side-loaded the app and it seems to be working. Street view doesn't appear to work though (bummer). Thanks for the find pmccartney! Too bad Google won't support Blackberry to get a full working map app on the Playbook. Things like this make it harder for RIM and Blackberry to maintain a stand in the market.
    Last edited by Hamp; 02-22-12 at 11:43 AM.
    02-22-12 11:37 AM
    there are a few versions floating aroun from 6.02 .03 and one in the 4.xx
    which is the best to use?
    02-22-12 01:44 PM
    I've got 6.0.2.

When I first sideloaded the app at work, it grabbed a GPS signal instantly. I tried out the Nav by entering a destination, then closing it.

Then just now, when I was trying it again (at home), the PlayBook was having trouble locking onto a GPS signal, both with Google Maps for Android, and the default Bing Maps included with the PlayBook.

I set it down on my desk, and Google grabbed a signal. Okay, fine. It just took longer than usual. It was still quicker than the TomTom in my car.

Then I started the Nav, the app spoke the first set of instructions, and I was ecstatic. I started playing around a little, and went into street view. Google Maps then gave me some 'action unsupported' error and the voice told me that it lost the GPS signal. A few seconds later, Nav locked up and gave a force close message. I hit force close, and I was returned to the main Google Maps screen, which had a GPS signal. I started Nav again, which again gave me directions without a hitch.

So I don't care about not being able to use street view. In Canada, its mostly outdated anyway. If I'm going to have a significant other or friend using the PlayBook for me when I'm driving, they'll be hotspotting off my Bold, in which case I don't want the Street View using up data anyways.

But this begs the question...is the Google Maps Android app 100% stable on the PlayBook?

I LOVE having the Navigation and the voice directions. And firstly, the PlayBook's GPS needs an internet connection to operate, right? Or can it do without being tethered to a phone? But if the app is going to crash every time I use it...I don't know.

Also, I thought I had signed into Latitude the first time I used this, but I can't remember whether I did or not. I just tried going to Settings --> Sign In, and nothing happened, it just returned me to the map.
    02-22-12 08:06 PM
    ya i didn't get google nav to work either. every time i opened nav, it lost the GPS signal.

when I go back to maps, the GPS signal comes back.
    02-22-12 10:35 PM
    I was having problems getting gps to work. Then I did a little trick I remember reading about. I opened bing first and let it load until gps was acquired then I opened latitude (Google maps) while bing was still open. Signal was acquired instantly.

Open ed navigate and it also worked nicely. Still have to test it with tethering. I remember in the beta there were problems with latitude if you weren't on wifi

Great program overall. Would be nice to be able to sign in though. I would love access to my stared locations
    02-23-12 07:21 AM
    I think there is a major problem with my gps.... bing doesn't work, google nav doesn't work, poynt doesn't work.... It can NEVER find my location
    02-23-12 07:50 AM
    Downloaded 6.1.1 from here - Blackberry Playbook Android Apps | Good e-Reader Android App Store - We support Kobo Vox, Kindle Fire and More

I also tried getting the location on the Map first, then hitting the blue Nav icon, as suggested by a poster in this other thread...that seemed to work a little better.

http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...ml#post7164491
    02-23-12 02:14 PM
    google nav works excellent in the car as a gps. I have a tethered bb 9100 and everything works except when I come to a stop.

When you drive and make a slight turn the nav program tilts a bit to reflect your new heading. Though when I stop it thinks I'm doing a 180, then a 270, then a 360. Hehe I wonder if its something in my car thats throwing off the gps or the glitchy android thing.

anyone find out how to sign in?
    02-23-12 11:46 PM
    does google voice nav work when bridged? so we can use it in the car when not on WiFI? I don't have a berry to test
    02-24-12 10:32 AM
    a regular gps defines your directional heading by movement.. ie direction is a result of making multiple location fixes and calculating the heading from that line...

being stationary, your GPS sensor actually has no directional heading. Car navigation apps know you do not spin your car around and so hold/freeze your directional heading until movement occurs.

google nav works excellent in the car as a gps. I have a tethered bb 9100 and everything works except when I come to a stop.

When you drive and make a slight turn the nav program tilts a bit to reflect your new heading. Though when I stop it thinks I'm doing a 180, then a 270, then a 360. Hehe I wonder if its something in my car thats throwing off the gps or the glitchy android thing.

anyone find out how to sign in?
    02-24-12 10:43 AM
    Downloaded 6.1.1 from here - Blackberry Playbook Android Apps | Good e-Reader Android App Store - We support Kobo Vox, Kindle Fire and More

I also tried getting the location on the Map first, then hitting the blue Nav icon, as suggested by a poster in this other thread...that seemed to work a little better.

http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...ml#post7164491
    Thanks for the link but all I am getting is the .apk file inside the .zip
    02-24-12 10:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD