Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27
Like Tree6Likes
  1. Malachi.2.15's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    186 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default Goodbye netflix!!!

    I'm dropping netflix BECAUSE it is not supported on the playbook.

    Amazon's streaming service works great on my playbook. I'm a amazon prime member so I get a decent list of free stuff from them. In addition, I'll take the money I save off of my monthly netflix subscription to buy/rent and stream any other titles that I may want from amazon. In the end, I think I'll be coming out ahead for my monthly $$$.
  2. pkcable's Avatar


    Posts
    27,079 Posts
    Global Posts
    30,711 Global Posts
    PIN
    PIN:K Floyd!
    #2  

    Default

    Can you borrow books from the Amazon library on the PlayBook, or on an Android Tab? If so I can't seem to figure out how. I have a 1 month trial because I bought a Kindle Fire, as a gift, and the trail transfered over to my other devices.
  3. Rob Robertson's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    134 Posts
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    #3  

    Default

    You should send Netflix support an email saying this is why you left. Or list it as the reason when you unsubscribe.
  4. andrewmcwhirter's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    241 Posts
    #4  

    Default

    Thats great for you guys in the U.S, but doesn't help us Canadians (or any other country for that matter). Netflix is the only decent streaming service we have access to.
    8900 - 9800 - Playbook - Z10
    Thanked by:
    AOBeta (02-20-2012) 
  5. Blacklac's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,549 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,260 Global Posts
    #5  

    Default

    If you buy from Amazon somewhat regularly, the Prime membership is just a no brainer. You basically get your monies worth on shipping alone and enjoy free streaming as a bonus.

    I also recently dropped Netflix streaming (kept the Bluray in the mail program, its what I joined for in the first place) and now I use Amazon Prime and Hulu+ instead. I ended up also dropping cable. I am quite happy with the move and the money saved from dropping cable. I also find that I am enjoying some older TV series I never would have thought to watch, just because its there.

    Antenna w/DVR + streaming is the way to go, IMO. So much content for so much less $ than cable/satellite. Granted, you will still lose some premium stuff and most Sports that aren't aired locally. I am very impressed with the streaming HD quality. As an HD snob, I always laughed at what used to be HD Lite from streaming. It is very respectable HD these days. Better than ive seen from a few satellite feeds actually.
    Lumia 1020 - WP 8
    32GB Playbook - OS 2.1
  6. lnichols's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    6,421 Posts
    Global Posts
    6,959 Global Posts
    #6  

    Default

    I dropped Netflix DVD just recently because of the price increase and went to streaming only because I can get DVD from a Redbox or Blockbuster machine for a buck if I really want to. My son uses the streaming all the time so I'll keep it for now but I'm pissed that they haven't made an app for the Playbook. They are probably waiting for Android support and the mythical 2.0 unicorn to appear, so I can't hold them totally responsible at this point.
    monicainhawaii likes this.
  7. Altarocks's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    984 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,005 Global Posts
    #7  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Robertson View Post
    You should send Netflix support an email saying this is why you left. Or list it as the reason when you unsubscribe.
    I just dropped Netflix yesterday for the same reasons the OP cited. Netflix provides a questionnaire when you cancel, but they don't specifically ask about specific device compatability. Nor do they offer any open text questions giving the opportunity to provide that info.
  8. spencerdl's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    8,726 Posts
    Global Posts
    12,445 Global Posts
    #8  

    Default

    Yea, I droped Netflix as well. Same reason as the OP. They gave me the run around since June, so last month I decided to say goodbye
  9. Jean-luc_Picard's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    937 Posts
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    #9  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by andrewmcwhirter View Post
    Thats great for you guys in the U.S, but doesn't help us Canadians (or any other country for that matter). Netflix is the only decent streaming service we have access to.
    I disagree greatly on this. In order for it to be the only decent streaming service, it must first be a decent streaming service. I considered joining and looked through their catalogue for classic action/sci-fi movies to see if I would like to join, and they had less than 10% of them... No Matrix, one X-men, etc. I just wish there were a streaming video service that actually had good content to give to Canadians without having to switch your sattelite/cable provider...

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    bahandi likes this.
  10. sqa4life's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    207 Posts
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    #10  

    Default

    add me to the list.
    I am leaving netflix by the 8th of Dec (last night of billing cycle) and will be joining amazon soon :-)
  11. beamolite's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    819 Posts
    Global Posts
    820 Global Posts
    PIN
    2ab5b28f
    #11  

    Default

    It doesn't work anymore. I let Amazon know I was very upset.
    You can pry my BlackBerry from my cold, dead hands.
  12. Malachi.2.15's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    186 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by beamolite View Post
    It doesn't work anymore. I let Amazon know I was very upset.
    Yeah...there are numerous threads on this already. My assumption is that amazon is now using a later version of flash that the playbook os hasn't been upgraded too yet. I believe this because when it first happened, I switched to my laptop and it did a flash update. I'm hoping OS 2 will have this flash update in it as well so that we will be back in business with amazon.
  13. erodenero's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    780 Posts
    Global Posts
    797 Global Posts
    PIN
    #1
    #13  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jean-luc_Picard View Post
    I disagree greatly on this. In order for it to be the only decent streaming service, it must first be a decent streaming service. I considered joining and looked through their catalogue for classic action/sci-fi movies to see if I would like to join, and they had less than 10% of them... No Matrix, one X-men, etc. I just wish there were a streaming video service that actually had good content to give to Canadians without having to switch your sattelite/cable provider...

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    +10000
    i dunno if its just in canada, but netflix selection is really lacking hard.
  14. beamolite's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    819 Posts
    Global Posts
    820 Global Posts
    PIN
    2ab5b28f
    #14  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Malachi.2.15 View Post
    Yeah...there are numerous threads on this already. My assumption is that amazon is now using a later version of flash that the playbook os hasn't been upgraded too yet. I believe this because when it first happened, I switched to my laptop and it did a flash update. I'm hoping OS 2 will have this flash update in it as well so that we will be back in business with amazon.
    If that was the case of just a flash update I don't think it would work at all. It works for a few seconds then the flash update pops up. I think Amazon is deliberately blocking the content.
    You can pry my BlackBerry from my cold, dead hands.
  15. doxa sub750T's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    998 Posts
    #15  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by beamolite View Post
    If that was the case of just a flash update I don't think it would work at all. It works for a few seconds then the flash update pops up. I think Amazon is deliberately blocking the content.
    +1, I have a watch list and no issue watching them at all past week or today. However, anything new that I am trying to watch, no go there! Pretty stinky there I say.
    Z10 - 10.0.10.85 and PB 64GB
    lostaggie likes this.
  16. Malachi.2.15's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    186 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doxa sub750T View Post
    +1, I have a watch list and no issue watching them at all past week or today. However, anything new that I am trying to watch, no go there! Pretty stinky there I say.
    Adds to my point...if amazon was blocking then everyting would be shutdown. Since it is only the new stuff, it makes sense that the new stuff was encoded with a newer version of flash. A version that plays for a few seconds and then fails a check or something on our playbooks and pukes.

    If I remember right when I first saw this and tried the laptop...it also played for a few seconds before doing a flash update.
  17. igotberryfever's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    788 Posts
    PIN
    2914F50F
    #17  

    Default

    Epix Epix Epix they were the first to support the playbook f netflix f amazon come the on people.
  18. the-elf's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    106 Posts
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    PIN
    2868AE69
    #18  

    Default

    Well just checked the version of Flash running on my machines and its 11.1.102.55 on my Windows 7 64 bit system (latest version) and 11.1.121.4 on my playbook. OS is identified as QNX 6.6.0 (32 bit).
  19. Malachi.2.15's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    186 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #19  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the-elf View Post
    Well just checked the version of Flash running on my machines and its 11.1.102.55 on my Windows 7 64 bit system (latest version) and 11.1.121.4 on my playbook. OS is identified as QNX 6.6.0 (32 bit).
    if I remember right, the last flash version pushed to the playbook was to just fix a security issue. So even though the playbook flash version may have a higher number, it may not have the latest and greatest functionality.
  20. zektor666's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    187 Posts
    #20  

    Default

    Well, personally I like Netflix a lot. I am a documentary buff, and they provide some good History Channel stuff, Extreme Forensics, jail stuff...etc. I have been a subscriber for quite some time now and watch *something* on Netflix every night after work...it has become a ritual. Do I want it on Playbook? Sure, I am not going to lie. But, I can live without it on PB. I watch on my PC at home, on my Android based phone, on my Asus Prime if I want, on my TV via a Roku box. It is not a requirement for it to be available for the PB for me, but it would certainly be a welcome thing should Netflix wake up and create an app for the Playbook.

    Either way, of all my devices, the Playbook still happens to be my favorite for many many other reasons
  21. FreeJACLive's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    357 Posts
    Global Posts
    364 Global Posts
    #21  

    Default

    I'm a huge Netflix fan as well. It's not make or break on the PB for me but a day doesn't go by when there is at least 1 Netflix stream going. Sometimes there is 3 or 4.
  22. ethylove's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    88 Posts
    Global Posts
    126 Global Posts
    #22  

    Default

    how do you stream on your amazon? anytime i start one of my videos it crashes saying i need to probably update my flash player. which then says i'm up to date.
    Motorola T721 -> Nokia 6030 -> Blackberry 7100g -> Samsung Blackjack II SGH-i617 -> Samsung Eternity -> Nokia E71x ->Blackberry Bold 9000 -> Blackberry Bold 9700 -> Blackberry Torch 9800 <-> Samsung Focus SGH-i917 -> Dell Venue Pro -> Blackberry Torch 9810 -> Blackberry Bold 9900 -> Samsung Focus S SGH-i937 -> HTC Titan -> Nokia Lumia 920 -> iPhone 4S -> iPhone 4S (Verizon) -> iPhone 5 -> Q10 awwwwww yea.
  23. JamesDax3's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    524 Posts
    Global Posts
    804 Global Posts
    #23  

    Default

    Got Netflix on my PC, Xbox 360 and my HD7(WP7.5). Would love to have it on my Playbook, and I've gotta beleive that it will come sooner or later, but not having it now isn't a deal breaker.
  24. Sw886's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    8 Posts
    #24  

    Default right

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Robertson View Post
    You should send Netflix support an email saying this is why you left. Or list it as the reason when you unsubscribe.
    nicely post
  25. maam's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    679 Posts
    #25  

    Default

    I am waiting for the blackberry video for Canada eh!!! Come on rim! Lol
    Be Proud
    9700(black)-9700(white)-9790-9900(black)-9900(white)-Playbook 32/64GB/LTE-Z10(black)-Z10(white)-Q10(black)
    BlackBerry by choice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions