hey im looking for a golf gps app for my playbook that will work in offline mode.
    05-02-12 11:31 PM
    hey im looking for a golf gps app for my playbook that will work in offline mode.
    Out of curiosity, could you dd a few specifications for such an app. Does it help you find golf courses around the world or does it help you navigate the 18 holes and find the club house after a hard day's play?
    05-03-12 05:25 AM
    Out of curiosity, could you dd a few specifications for such an app. Does it help you find golf courses around the world or does it help you navigate the 18 holes and find the club house after a hard day's play?
    I think this would be a good idea for an app. Most people like to use their phones for golf gps apps, but I think the playbook would work well too. Most of the good range finder apps have a searchable database either by search engine or relative distance to your location. Once it pulls up a list of courses near you, you select the appropriate one and then it loads the courses information which will include the distance of each hole, etc.

I've seen some versions which use a google maps overlay to use the range finder. Buzz- if you're curious to what it does, it will use GPS to track where you're at and then calculate the amount of yards to the green from where you're at. A good tracker will post that on a view of the hole you're on so you can see the layout of the hole.

Does that help?
    05-03-12 08:30 AM
    I want just such an app too and am frankly shocked not one exists for the PB. I have 2 GPS apps on my Torch but using the larger screen on the PB sure would come in handy. I wonder if you couldn't side load an Android GPS app on the playbook? If anyone has a solution please post it.

Mike
    05-03-12 08:50 AM
    I think this would be a good idea for an app. Most people like to use their phones for golf gps apps, but I think the playbook would work well too. Most of the good range finder apps have a searchable database either by search engine or relative distance to your location. Once it pulls up a list of courses near you, you select the appropriate one and then it loads the courses information which will include the distance of each hole, etc.

I've seen some versions which use a google maps overlay to use the range finder. Buzz- if you're curious to what it does, it will use GPS to track where you're at and then calculate the amount of yards to the green from where you're at. A good tracker will post that on a view of the hole you're on so you can see the layout of the hole.

Does that help?
    This does indeed help. I am not a golfer but this seems like an interesting app possibility. Do you know if golf courses offer gpx (or similar) way-point info for locations of holes, traps etc that an interested developer could tap into? If not, is there a public source for this kind of information?
    05-03-12 09:27 AM
    This does indeed help. I am not a golfer but this seems like an interesting app possibility. Do you know if golf courses offer gpx (or similar) way-point info for locations of holes, traps etc that an interested developer could tap into? If not, is there a public source for this kind of information?
    I've used a couple of these on my Blackberry handhelds in the day. ,ot sure how much info I can give ya, but I have used Swing by Swing (Golf GPS Range Finder for iPhone, BlackBerry and Android | Swing by Swing). This was a free app and I believe it uses a google maps overlay for the satellite view.

I've seen some apps that are tied to a web based system to "map" the course. You enter the course, and it pulls up the Google maps satellite view of the course. You then must pick each hole and number it, and map the location of the tee box and the green. Then the internals figure the range finding/yardage of the holes.

I found a website that provides some good feedback on how golf courses use GPS. GPS and Golf

Not sure if any of this helps because I'm not that positive how to get something like this to work, but I think you have some good experience with your What's Up app. I'll be happy to help in any way I can to maybe put portions of this together. I'm not much of a developer (my extent is making webworks apps), but I can learn quickly.

Thanks Buzz!
    05-03-12 10:02 AM
    @dablessing

I don't have a lot of time on my hands but having a bit of webworks experience puts you in a good position to leverage the Google Maps API in a PlayBook web application. Have a look at this link and you may find yourself with a really popular app on your hands.

https://developers.google.com/maps/d...on/javascript/
    05-03-12 11:27 AM
    Swing by Swing was a good one. So was Golf Logix. I'd love a PB Golf GPS App!
    05-03-12 08:35 PM
    Sorry i thought i was clear, like dables said a golf gps for use on course. I could picture my pb mounted to my cart already. Anyways it was just an idea, thought pb could be capable of it with its hardware.
    05-03-12 09:26 PM
    I emailed GolfLogix, Got the following response.... Doesn't really say anything definitive, but its a start! I use Golflogix on my 9860, & used it on my storm 1 & 2

Code:
    Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for your inquiry. We do not currently have that functionality, but that's a great idea. I will definitely let our developers know. Thank you for your input. It's customers like yourself that help us grow as a company. Have a great day!

For further assistance, please call our customer service department directly at 1-877-977-0162 option 1. We are open Monday - Friday from 8:00AM to 4:00PM Arizona Time, Thursdays 9:00AM to 4:00PM.

We are interested in learning more about your experience with our products and services. Please take one minute to complete our brief survey.

Regards,

GolfLogix Customer Support
    10-01-12 10:35 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD