So after the debacle of Desktop Bridge, and working my bum off on my startup (which I'll be talking about more next week), I'm broke. I need to pay my way to BB Jam Americas, so I need to earn anywhere from $1-2,000 CAD/USD.

If you guys have any app ideas that you feel would be worthwhile for me to develop, throw them my way. I'll then put the best ideas into a poll, and you guys can vote on the best one. Then whichever one gets picked, I'll write. I'm a pretty decent developer, so the app won't be crappy.

Try to keep the ideas mostly simple, and doable within a month. If you're unsure, post it anyway, and I'll let you know if it's feasible.
    08-08-12 09:59 PM
    My two cents. I am looking for an app that would allow me to effortlessly share or sync my default Blackberry calender with my wife's blackberry. Whether it be through NFC or bluetooth (or the option of both preferably). This way, after work everyday, we can sync our calenders without having to connect our phones to the computer. I know there are other ways of doing this (ie: google sync) but I have yet to find a simple, time efficient, error proof method. Apple accomplishes this through the cloud, but there is nothing that I am aware of for Blackberry.
    08-08-12 10:22 PM
    How about a good printer app for the playbook. Have a wifi printer in our house, but I have to go through either print to go and then have my desktop up and running sync it/email it to myself.
    diegonei, Barljo and rupam95 like this.
    08-08-12 10:26 PM
    A podcast app, the stock one is poor. Search for a podcast and click to subscribe. Should have the ability to skip forward or backward 30 seconds, and, if you are really ambitious, variable speed playback.
    solomon_grundy likes this.
    08-08-12 10:49 PM
    Sure I'll bite, got lots of app ideas and no way to make them. Here are a few;

1. I thought it would be fun to have an app that keeps track of the number of raspberry pi computers in the world, raspberrypi.Org. It's a non-profit company with a great product designed for education and applied by geeks around the world. (including me)

2. Give us a dynamic background on the playbook! Just like when it starts up with the slow changing colors, it is so elegant.

That's it, I have some more ideas if you are willing to deal (ones that can make money!)
    08-09-12 01:00 AM
    How about a good printer app for the playbook. Have a wifi printer in our house, but I have to go through either print to go and then have my desktop up and running sync it/email it to myself.
    This. Epson is one thing (what we have), but I'm sure HP do as well.

A printer app, buy I would!
    Stayathomedad likes this.
    08-09-12 02:44 AM
    Native Radio (for every country its own local channals & frequency )
    08-09-12 03:30 AM
    Skype!!!!
    Okay, bs aside.

I'd pay for an app that could easily transfer files from any phone directly to your playbook and vice versa.

Edit: And a remote control app that allows you to view and select music on your playbook from you BB phone. Im not talking about the ability to stream and edit tracks, but merely a graphical remote control.
    Last edited by Eskibo; 08-09-12 at 03:57 AM.
    lifted27 likes this.
    08-09-12 03:52 AM
    An app that will consolidate contact lists. Also, if you can, have it remove the AT&T address book and any other similar apps from the other carriers.

It will sell.
    08-09-12 04:10 AM
    Love Desktop Bridge btw.

Sent from.....the future.
    jkomo001 likes this.
    08-09-12 04:40 AM
    The Playbook, which is being marketed as a "Business Class" tablet, is lacking any method for capturing digital signatures. Apps such as "Signnow" and "Signeasy" exist for the other mobile OS's - but nothing of the sorts for Blackberry. Much like the existing Android and iOS apps, a method to capture a digital signature and then insert it into a "Docs to Go" document word be a bonus.

Great thread by the way. I wish someone from RIM could read this and incorporate some of these ideas into BB 10.
    08-09-12 05:20 AM
    Hi,
    I don't realy know if it's feeasible, considering you are doing it in a month, but I would like to have a simple vectorial drawing app. User should be able to edit shapes add vertices or edges, rotate and resize, also add and subtract shapes. Curve manipulation will be nice. User should be able to change lines colour and thickness. Text insertion will also be a must. Like 13 years ago I did just that, using delphi (pascal) it took me like three weeks, with help of a friend. Ten years ago I did a 180 degree shift and I'm working in voice and data networks ever since. That brings me to my next idea: a app for mapping wifi signal strengh over a 2D map, like ekahau heatmapper.I will gladly pay up to 10 bucks for such an app.
    08-09-12 05:22 AM
    What about an app like the roomie remote app on ios. Being able to control all your a/v equipment from the playbook would be awesome.

Would love to use my playbook to control my multiroom sound system.

Have to use my ipad now to do it but would love to use my playbook instead because you can't see the ipad screen in the sunlight and the playbook screen is fine outdoors on my deck.
    08-09-12 07:07 AM
    Philips TV remote ; just like the android / ios app. (The android version doesnt work)
    08-09-12 07:58 AM
    My two cents. I am looking for an app that would allow me to effortlessly share or sync my default Blackberry calender with my wife's blackberry. Whether it be through NFC or bluetooth (or the option of both preferably). This way, after work everyday, we can sync our calenders without having to connect our phones to the computer. I know there are other ways of doing this (ie: google sync) but I have yet to find a simple, time efficient, error proof method. Apple accomplishes this through the cloud, but there is nothing that I am aware of for Blackberry.
    Not a bad idea, but I'm trying to focus on the PlayBook right now. I'll be honest, it's partly so I can transition this app to BB10. It's not that I don't know how to write apps for BBOS, it's just not a desire of mine right now. Anyway, the way you'd do it is to use NFC to establish a Bluetooth connection, and then sync that way. I'm not 100% sure if that function is supported on BBOS. It is on BB10.

This isn't a bad idea. Trouble is, I don't have a wifi printer myself, although my router does have a built-in print server, so I could test it that way. Does HP or Epson have a universal way to be printed to? Because if I have to include drivers for each printer model, it'll be impractical.

Moreover, there isn't currently a way to incorporate my app into other apps so you can print from them. Presumably, that will be part of the invocation framework coming in BB10. For now, the app would have to open the files you want to print, such as PDFs, DOCs, XLSs, etc. It's feasible, and I'm willing to entertain the idea. It's the printing support that I'm unclear on.

A podcast app, the stock one is poor. Search for a podcast and click to subscribe. Should have the ability to skip forward or backward 30 seconds, and, if you are really ambitious, variable speed playback.
    This was an idea that I had too, except for audiobooks. Do you think a podcast app would be better and would sell?

Sure I'll bite, got lots of app ideas and no way to make them. Here are a few;

1. I thought it would be fun to have an app that keeps track of the number of raspberry pi computers in the world, raspberrypi.Org. It's a non-profit company with a great product designed for education and applied by geeks around the world. (including me)

2. Give us a dynamic background on the playbook! Just like when it starts up with the slow changing colors, it is so elegant.

That's it, I have some more ideas if you are willing to deal (ones that can make money!)
    I just got a Raspberry Pi myself, so I like it! Unfortunately, I don't think that's a revenue-generating idea. The dynamic background isn't a bad idea, but without rooting the device, doing that is impractical.

This. Epson is one thing (what we have), but I'm sure HP do as well.

A printer app, buy I would!
    Again, I like this idea, just need to know how to support multiple printers.

Native Radio (for every country its own local channals & frequency )
    This would be difficult, and I would have trouble selling it because I'm selling access to other people's content. They probably would have issue with that.

Skype!!!!
    Okay, bs aside.

I'd pay for an app that could easily transfer files from any phone directly to your playbook and vice versa.

Edit: And a remote control app that allows you to view and select music on your playbook from you BB phone. Im not talking about the ability to stream and edit tracks, but merely a graphical remote control.
    File transfer app? What do you mean any phone? Any phone via Bluetooth or Wifi? Possible.

A media centre app that you can control via a web interface? Doable.

Just unsure about the sales potential for both.

An app that will consolidate contact lists. Also, if you can, have it remove the AT&T address book and any other similar apps from the other carriers.

It will sell.
    Err... I have no idea about this one.

Love Desktop Bridge btw.

Sent from.....the future.
    Thanks. :-D

The Playbook, which is being marketed as a "Business Class" tablet, is lacking any method for capturing digital signatures. Apps such as "Signnow" and "Signeasy" exist for the other mobile OS's - but nothing of the sorts for Blackberry. Much like the existing Android and iOS apps, a method to capture a digital signature and then insert it into a "Docs to Go" document word be a bonus.

Great thread by the way. I wish someone from RIM could read this and incorporate some of these ideas into BB 10.
    I seriously considered making a signature app. Just yesterday, I had to sign a PDF. I have my GF's MacBook Pro right now, and I just grabbed it, trying to look for a signature I had saved. Turns out, right in Mac OS X Preview, there's a Signature button. It lets you choose an image, or take a picture using the built-in camera. I chose the second option. I signed a blank piece of paper, lined it up to the camera along the blue line, and it scanned my signature. It was actually pretty brilliant.

In my mind, there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to do something similar using the PlayBook. Either sign using the touchscreen OR scan using the camera. Bonus if it can insert the signature into the PDF and/or fill out PDF forms. Even more bonus if it can print it via Wifi.

Hi,
    I don't realy know if it's feeasible, considering you are doing it in a month, but I would like to have a simple vectorial drawing app. User should be able to edit shapes add vertices or edges, rotate and resize, also add and subtract shapes. Curve manipulation will be nice. User should be able to change lines colour and thickness. Text insertion will also be a must. Like 13 years ago I did just that, using delphi (pascal) it took me like three weeks, with help of a friend. Ten years ago I did a 180 degree shift and I'm working in voice and data networks ever since. That brings me to my next idea: a app for mapping wifi signal strengh over a 2D map, like ekahau heatmapper.I will gladly pay up to 10 bucks for such an app.
    I thought about a vector drawing app too. It's not a bad idea at all. Allow insertion of pictures, shapes, etc.

I'm unclear about the Wifi mapping idea. Just grabbing wifi signal strength info for each GPS position and mapping it in a square, plotting it by colour (green = high strength, red = low)?

What about an app like the roomie remote app on ios. Being able to control all your a/v equipment from the playbook would be awesome.

Would love to use my playbook to control my multiroom sound system.

Have to use my ipad now to do it but would love to use my playbook instead because you can't see the ipad screen in the sunlight and the playbook screen is fine outdoors on my deck.
    Philips TV remote ; just like the android / ios app. (The android version doesnt work)
    What about an XBMC remote? The Android version is free though... not sure if people would pay $1 or $2 for a PlayBook one.
    08-09-12 09:55 AM
    I recently had the need for an app that could help me keep scores for a Table Tennis Tournament. I have my PlayBook and my 9900 and was in dire need of an app that can display crisp clear scores on my PlayBook while being updated from my Bold. I haven't come across such a software on any Platform (I also own an iPod Touch and have access to a friend's Nexus 7). I think the best part about building an app on the BlackBerry platform is the killer Bridge feature. Anyways, wish you all the best for your project.
    08-09-12 10:41 AM
    If you could make a Sonos controller I would love you forever.
    08-09-12 11:39 AM
    Go for print! i know some people who will donate and buy. seriously id like to help get this done if you go for this app.

look up UPD (universal print drivers) its mostly vendor neutral (psl) for network printing.
    here are a few links..

Universal Print Driver - Samsung Printer Technology
    HP Universal Print Driver Series for Windows - HP Universal Print Driver for Windows - Features, Benefits and Specifications - c00496934 - HP Business Support Center

Universal Print Driver - Technologies | KONICA MINOLTA

Xerox Mobile Express Driver: Free Universal Printer Driver

let me know!
    08-09-12 11:45 AM
    As an IT manager many of my users are asking for a few specific things. most requests i get are for them to be allowed to user their ipad because there is an app from Dragon which will convert speech to text. They are to lazy to type and just want to be able to talk to the damn thing for note taking, email replies, etc.

If you can do that... it would ROCK!
    08-09-12 12:06 PM
    +1 for the podcast app

A graphic equalizer app

A proper bookmark management app which allows you to export bookmarks from the stock browser to cloud storage or to a pc or vice versa(not tech savvy, so I have no idea if it's possible)
    08-09-12 12:07 PM
    I vote for the signing app. but NO inserting or taking a picture of a signature. how would that be legal? you could have taken the picture from an old document. so how about after signing the document via touch screen it is locked up so no one could edit it and it is emailed to all participating parties. during lock up it is given a time, date and gps stamp. or even take a picture of the signing party using the front facing camera.
    Vorkosigan likes this.
    08-09-12 12:44 PM
    I good text to speach app is needed too. my uncle had surgery and during recovery he could not talk so he bought an ipad just for an app like this.
    08-09-12 12:46 PM
    how about a trivia game like family fued that has 2 buzzers so you can play a multi player game using 1 playbook. I havent seen any multiplayer games for one playbook but you could do checkers, chess etc... where you place the playbook on the table and sit across from each other. makes for great family car rid or camping trip.
    Stayathomedad and DocDRM like this.
    08-09-12 12:51 PM
    Bring Solarmax to playbook. Ive beat it several times but every couple months i go back to it. playing online doesnt work well on playbook so maybe you could make an offline version for the playbook.http://armorgames.com/play/11965/solarmax
    08-09-12 01:22 PM
    If you could make a Sonos controller I would love you forever.
    The Sonos Android app can be converted to BAR, and it works. You just need to change your project files to the appropriate resolution.
    08-09-12 01:28 PM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD