Hello everyone
    I am interested in developing applications for the Playbook and would like to know where to start...
    Are there any tutorials around. Which scripting language would I need to know.
    Any help would be great...
    Thanks....
    03-27-12 10:21 PM
    C++ for native apps...like games. I started learning too...if you know html and css you can program a webworks app and it you can use adobe's air platform, you could make an air app work on pb as well...
    03-28-12 02:55 AM
    For all the development resources you can use, go here:

https://bdsc.webapps.blackberry.com/devzone/

While you are at it read the BB devblog:

BlackBerry Developer's Blog
    03-28-12 04:38 AM
    So, I can do some pretty HTML stuff, css php and all that, and I've dabbled in javascript. I had a concept thought, and I've started the process (not a game, just a very simple app, almost an applet to be honest).

I can probably achieve what I want to achieve using HTML, CSS, and the scripts provided by RIM.

Would learning a whole new programming language (C++ for example!) be worth it? I have a job, gf, and child so any app I build will be a spare time thing and I have no pretensions to get rich or take over the world. Any thoughts?
    03-28-12 05:06 AM
    Guys thanks a lot for posting..
    Frankly speaking I thought no one would reply to this post..

I have never explored any scripting languages that you all have posted but I too am interested in developing games... So is c++ the only language that I need to know?
    03-28-12 09:07 AM
    Guys thanks a lot for posting..
    Frankly speaking I thought no one would reply to this post..

I have never explored any scripting languages that you all have posted but I too am interested in developing games... So is c++ the only language that I need to know?
    Are you kidding bro? This is CrackBerry.com, it's all about us helping each other.
    03-28-12 09:51 AM
    So, I can do some pretty HTML stuff, css php and all that, and I've dabbled in javascript. I had a concept thought, and I've started the process (not a game, just a very simple app, almost an applet to be honest).

I can probably achieve what I want to achieve using HTML, CSS, and the scripts provided by RIM.

Would learning a whole new programming language (C++ for example!) be worth it? I have a job, gf, and child so any app I build will be a spare time thing and I have no pretensions to get rich or take over the world. Any thoughts?
    If you focus on being creative, experimenting and having fun you will go far. After dabbling a bit, you will soon discover what skills you are lacking. The official RIM developer forums are a good place to ask questions and vent your frustrations. Be sure to search the forum to see if your problem has already been asked - and when you pose a question let people know what you have already tried. If long-timers sense that you have not done your homework, they may seem a tad hostile but they are more likely just offering some tough love. Good luck, and as I said in the opening sentence, have fun.
    Barljo likes this.
    03-28-12 10:43 AM
    As I've stated in similar threads, the best choice is to learn actionscript unless you plan develop a rather large game. It's easy to learn, simple to code, runs quickly and is very powerful. Further more, when you build AIR apps using actionscript, you can port them to Android eventually with relative ease.

WebWorks (html5 + css + javascript) is easy to write and transferable as a web app. However, I find that WebWorks apps feel laggy in general. I'd only recommend it to those with extensive web development backgrounds that want a smaller sized app.

C++ is very powerful and quick. However, it is a massive pain to write and maintain code. Where speed and power are absolutely essential for user experience (i.e. visually intensive games), it is the only choice. For creating most other apps, it's unnecessary.
    03-28-12 11:35 AM
    For basic and the best start with creating 'simple' apps using HTML5, CSS, Javascript and flash. Just re-zip the files, and use Webworks SDK� to make a runnable .bar file ! I make apps too with Webworks and Adobe AIR�
    Jeroen
    03-28-12 01:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD