Don't overlook Georendr - free app that does NOT use google maps. Uses national geographic maps, NOAA, USDA, USGS Tom Tom DeLorme and others.

Nicely done.
    GPS accurate - at least it sees me right now from birds eye view even indoors - (flat wood roof and tarpaper).
    Has topo maps - satellite photos, road and places overlays...marine maps - road maps

pinch zoom - fast rendering. finger scrolling very smooth - nicer than any google map apps I have tried.

Literally pinpoint precision - I can feel the giant pushpin on my head right now.

awesome!

(copied from post in playbook forum)
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 11-30-11 at 10:55 PM.
    calles, Dr.Deebs, dimm0k and 5 others like this.
    11-30-11 03:27 PM
    downloaded to check it out ...not bad, not bad at all ...very accurate!
    11-30-11 07:18 PM
    Ya, I grabbed this app when it first came out. It is really well done.
    11-30-11 10:52 PM
    Tried it and found the maps were not at all updated. It's showing my neighborhood from at least 6 years ago, where many houses were not even built yet. Perhaps the maps are for US destinations, as the Canadian maps seem pretty poor.
    11-30-11 11:54 PM
    Tried it and found the maps were not at all updated. It's showing my neighborhood from at least 6 years ago, where many houses were not even built yet. Perhaps the maps are for US destinations, as the Canadian maps seem pretty poor.
    ??????

RE: Tried it and found the maps were not at all updated. It's showing my neighborhood from at least 6 years ago, where many houses were not even built yet. Canadian maps poor.

If it was showing you're neighborhood from at least 6 years ago- where many houses where not even built yet, can't complain about that.

It has been my experience that a mapping program /GPS units such as TomTom, Magellan, etc "maps" don't show recently created neighborhoods, it on average takes a "while" to get data added to maps.

With that said depending on location neighborhood built last week may get added. How fast and what gets added depends on the mapping company.
    (I would assume companies paying to have their locations added also figure into the equation.)

If I had to guess "low population" (low density) areas such as out in the country it takes forever to get new streets /neighborhood data added. It's like with cable /internet.... High population areas get first priority.... on getting service.... and fixing damage after storms..

Long story short 10,000 people per mile get first priority over say 3 people per mile. I would venture mapping companies operate in a similar manner.

11-13-12 08:04 PM
    Don't overlook Georendr - free app that does NOT use google maps. Uses national geographic maps, NOAA, USDA, USGS Tom Tom DeLorme and others.

Nicely done.
    GPS accurate - at least it sees me right now from birds eye view even indoors - (flat wood roof and tarpaper).
    Has topo maps - satellite photos, road and places overlays...marine maps - road maps

pinch zoom - fast rendering. finger scrolling very smooth - nicer than any google map apps I have tried.

Literally pinpoint precision - I can feel the giant pushpin on my head right now.

awesome!

(copied from post in playbook forum)

Sounds exactly what I'm looking for.
    Just snagged a copy, got a sat lock in a couple of seconds... walked back in house, wife demanded PlayBook back as she was playing a game.

Q: This thread is right about a year old, Are you still using the app?
    Q: Are there any hidden things in Georendr you don't like?
    (EG: App doesn't stop working after so much use, tracks you, etc)
    Q: Can you cache map data to unit?
    (EG: Download map data via Wi-fi, and be able to use the app in at least "map mode"...showing roads, maybe topography in "OFF-LINE MODE?)

Last edited by WeAreNotAlone; 11-13-12 at 08:28 PM.
    11-13-12 08:11 PM
    I don't use this app too much anymore, but man do I miss blackjack
    11-13-12 11:42 PM
    I downloaded the app as I am checking out the different maps / GPS apps out the (free ones first of course ) and from the minute I downloaded the app the clarity and speed were what got me right away way better than bing or Google from that stand point. Though I didn't have the same luck as other posters above with getting my location GPS (at all )but maybe I'll have to try test GPS again or something to get it to work.
    To the author, I am assuming you can't cache these maps for off line use? I m thinking you could probably make that upgrade fairly easy though this coming from a non Dev haha.
    02-19-13 01:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD