I've had a look on the App World and drawn a blank so far; but does anyone know of any decent genealogy (family tree) apps for the PlayBook?
    05-24-12 08:57 AM
    I have not tried it, but how does that web site work, that they advertise on TV all the time? Ancestry.com?
    05-26-12 07:28 PM
    Signed in to Ancestry.ca
    Doesn't look to bad.
    Do able on the playbook
    05-26-12 07:56 PM
    Ancestry.com is a great research site, but most family history researchers want to have their data in an off-line program. I use Family Tree Maker on my PC. You can upload your family tree online, but there are research notes/questions that I wouldn't want online.

Personally while I would love access to FTM on my PB I'm not sure that a tablet is ideal for the task of actually keeping and maintaining family history research. Just my two cents.
    05-26-12 09:40 PM
    There is an app on the HPTouchpad which would be very useful on the BBPB. It is called Gentree HD and takes as input the ged file which you can get from almost any desktop genealogy software and displays it in very good fashion allowing good and quick access to all your tree data. The purpose is not to edit the file ( which it doesn't provide for) but it will come in extremely handy in field research. With the BBPB (also HPTP) multitasking ability one should be able to make field notes etc very easily
    . I agree that using a full genealogy package on a small tablet might be too much of a chore.
    05-26-12 10:16 PM
    Gentree HD app.Attachment 111049

A similar app called GedStar Pro Genealogy Viewer by GHCS software was available in the BB store but it seems to have disappeared. It required you to install a program on your desktop to convert data to Android. There was a 28 day free use on the desktop after which a cost was incurred. I did download the BBPB part but dont know whether I want to try to use it. Dont like uncertainty and not thrilled with Android.
    Last edited by jpash549bb; 05-27-12 at 01:36 AM.
    05-26-12 10:31 PM
    The gentree sounds interesting and answers my personal desire to have access to my current research without the need to edit. Sometimes you just need to double-check info on an ancestor against some new angle or documentation you've researched.

Thanks for the info.
    05-27-12 06:46 AM
    Checked with support @jbgapps.com and got a return email saying there were no plans to try and put GenTree HD on the Blackberry platform. Went to the GedStar Pro web site and found that after 28 days the cost to keep the required Android program on your PC is currently a $9.95 purchase. This is Android 2.3 which is what we now are getting on the playbook I guess. Things could change in a few months and it's not worth the struggle to me. The market in genealogy apps must be pretty thin except of course on Apple and Android when the ship gets righted.
    05-28-12 09:54 PM
    Not an app, but useful:

https://familysearch.org/
    05-28-12 11:03 PM
    Hi,

I have worked out a way of loading a family tree onto the Blackberry Playbook.

Firstly, download Ged2Web from Ged2Web This is free software. Once installed, import a Gedcom of your choice. Once imported, go to �Options� and then �File Size�. We need to keep the number of pages generated to a minimum so I selected 1000 Individuals, 1000 Index Block Size and 100 Index Blocks Per File. If too many pages are generated, the Playbook cannot compute them. Next, output the Gedcom in the Ged2Web which will generate the pages. Rename the automatically generated folder of web pages to something else (I called mine Family Tree). Then, upload the folder containing the pages to your documents folder on the Playbook. To open the folder I used the free app called Air Browser. The native file manager cannot seem to find folders. Once you find the folder, click on any web page within it. Then navigate to the index of individuals pages and create a short cut to your home page. You now have a family tree on your Playbook that does not require software installed on it or an internet connection and costs nothing. Only downside is that media and sources are not supported.

The above will seem complicated to some, but the whole process can be completed in under 5 minutes once you know what you�re doing.

Kind Regards,

Craig Mollekin
    12-28-12 07:03 PM
    There is an updated Family Tree Maker .bar file that works great! Just log into your Ancestry.com or uk account and it downloads your tree and you can use it offline! Ancestry for Playbook and BB10 - Blackberry Playbook and BB10 Social Media Apps | Android APPS - BB10 Apps & Playbook Apps
    03-10-13 08:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD