View Poll Results: Do you think this is a good idea or bad idea?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Good idea

28 93.33%
  • Bad idea

0 0%
  • Good idea, different project/game

2 6.67%
    The PlayBook has some impressive hardware but this hasn�t been put to use much yet and I know that is mainly because the Native Development Kit (NDK) isn�t out yet but when it is I don�t think there will be that many apps to showcase how great the PlayBook is. Currently �Need for Speed� is about the only app that shows what the PlayBook can really do, so I had an idea.
    When the NDK is released I thought it would be nice if there was an open source like project for a game on the PlayBook. A game that will show off the PlayBooks full potential and I propose the game be a first person shooter game, because people seems to enjoy them, we all know how well the likes of Call of Duty sell. The reason I am posting this here is because, one there are a lot of BlackBerry fans on this site and also because I would like this project to be supported by CrackBerry but first I thought I would get people reaction before contacting them.
    For those of you who do not own a PlayBook fear not, they are still on sale, joking aside I would like it if the game could also be available for QNX based phones when they are released, this is something that will be hopefully kept in mind when developing for the PlayBook so that it will be easy to port to the phones.
    Please any feedback is always welcome, if you are interested in helping or have any question please reply or PM me.
    Many thanks for taking your time to read this
    Steve.
    05-15-11 05:30 PM
    i think a call of duty like game would be awesome! or maybe an adventure game like drakes uncharted forthe ps3 that would be epic ahah
    05-15-11 09:26 PM
    WHAT! a POLL to judge if having games on pB a good idea or bad idea?There are many games already available and many more surely coming. Electronics Arts game comes by default and wait for the NDK to be released! There are better issues requiring polls! Don't start useless threads just to mark your presence!
    05-16-11 03:13 AM
    WHAT! a POLL to judge if having games on pB a good idea or bad idea?There are many games already available and many more surely coming. Electronics Arts game comes by default and wait for the NDK to be released! There are better issues requiring polls! Don't start useless threads just to mark your presence!
    If you bothered to take the time to read the forums post you would understand. Please read before having a go.
    05-16-11 10:23 AM
    I probably wouldn't play a FPS, but I know a lot of people who would. I think this would probably be the best place to start if you want a game that showcases the playbook's power.
    05-16-11 02:01 PM
    need for speed does not unlock what this device can do. it merely skips stones across the surface like most ea titles do (reaccuring bf:v nightmares popup) "no don't go in the temple!!!!! don't doit!!!! gahhhh noooooo he crashed you basterds!!!!" ok well anyways, i do agree a title like cod would be cool but i hate sniper fests. also something like portals or half life2 except their development rates well see hl2 episode 3 before that. but im saying give us some games at the limit of what the graphics can do on this. need for speed is not even close.
    Last edited by drethos; 05-16-11 at 04:06 PM.
    05-16-11 04:03 PM
    I'm a fan of FPS and I think the Quake demo video looked awesome (I would buy that game in a second if it was available) but, if you're looking for something to port to phones, I don't think a FPS would have the same appeal. I could be alone in this but I know I would never play that type of game on my tiny 9650 screen no matter how bored I was.

Nice idea trying to get an open source game together. Good luck.
    05-16-11 04:52 PM
    Sniper game (like the sniper arcade games) with augmented reality camera controls, would be awesome...

That said, NFS actually does control quite nicely. The gestures are simple and work and the controls are very responsive.
    05-16-11 04:55 PM
    how can i change my vote?

how would open source work anyway? any changes or revisions would require more submissions into app world. which would require a signing key i would think. which one mean one person or group would have final say in everything.

id like to see a fighting game like mugen if you can make the open ource thing work. mugen is open source to the max. you define everything from the fighting arenas to the time of each round to the amount of damage to the appearance of the game and its characters...EVERYTHING!
    05-16-11 06:27 PM
    Mugen would be pretty sweet....

However i don't think Appworld distribution would work for Mugen...
    05-16-11 06:48 PM
    Mugen would be pretty sweet....

However i don't think Appworld distribution would work for Mugen...
    i dint think so either but to me thats the definition of open source. i dont understand what the op means by it
    05-16-11 07:46 PM
    Those asking how it would be open source or as I said "Open-Source-Like" simply, anyone can pretty much look at and add to the code then like other open source games the developer decide when the reach a beta stage and when they reach an actually stable build. The stable build will be signed and added to the app world by me (free download) but the community say when it is ready.
    Beta will be signed by me but not submitted to the app world, instead you can side-load the app, onto your device, I will tell people how when we get there, it's rather simple really.
    Also there will probs be nightly builds that will work the same as beta builds but they are really on for developers to test there code.

I would like it if the game did muility-player as well, we do have the servers to deal with this so that won't be a problem, it's just creating the game that is needed.

Any developers out there reading this, feel like helping? Please reply/PM me thanks
    05-17-11 04:58 AM
    Sounds like a great idea! I think FPS is am excellent choice as well, as they are very popular (and personally, I love FPS)

Wish I knew how to help, but not familiar with any PlayBook developing at all (yet, hope to learn in the future)

Good luck and hope to see this in future
    05-17-11 04:30 PM
    Still trying to find developers to show an intrest, anyone know any
    05-18-11 02:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD