I am not a fan of buying public domain ebooks. I am very happy using Play ePub and BookReader apps.

I have been reviewing the hord of $.99 (and up) ebooks offered by DigiMedia. The selection is diverse, and, their list has expanded my want list to add to my elibrary.
    Most of their books can be downloaded FREE from the master Freeware library available in mobi text pdf epub and others format:

Visit archive.org and use the advanced search by title and author

Internet Archive: Digital Library of Free Books, Movies, Music & Wayback Machine

Last edited by mandony; 01-01-12 at 07:23 PM.
    ErnieH likes this.
    01-01-12 02:47 PM
    That's nice. You have found a purpose to all of those ebooks appearing in appworld - to spur you to find them for free.

Hmm, now there's an idea for an app - one that parses their listings and finds the freebie version!!!!!
    mandony, CanadianThomas and Grizco like this.
    01-01-12 08:35 PM
    Wow, good find!
    01-01-12 09:18 PM
    I had been using mobileread.com to find books!
    01-01-12 09:19 PM
    Maybe someone should make a free app to download books from Project Gutenberg.
    01-02-12 09:33 AM
    Maybe someone should make a free app to download books from Project Gutenberg.
    I did that simply by going to
    http://www.gutenberg.org
    then save the bookmark to desktop or browser
    CanadianThomas likes this.
    01-02-12 10:30 AM
    Right, but it's just not cool if it's not an app
    01-02-12 10:33 AM
    Right, but it's just not cool if it's not an app
    While not free, the SVIT Reader app has the function
    01-02-12 04:14 PM
    personally I am a very big believer in fair use (if I own a book I shouldn't have to scan it myself to read it on my PlayBook or pay again to read the same thing in a different format). So I say if you own a book, go to demonoid.me and get a digital copy. Same for music and movies and so on. I am not advocating theft here, if you don't already own a copy then don't, it's wrong. But until I have the option to by media that I already own on other formats for a very reasonable price, I'm not playing. Example: If i own the dvd/blu0ray for a movie I should be able to download a digital copy for my comp/tablet/portable player for something like $0.99, just to help pay for bandwidth.

My 2 cents.

Not 100% on topic, but close.
    JaimemarieG likes this.
    01-02-12 05:40 PM
    Smashwords - Ebooks from independent authors and publishers has many free books that I have read.
    And if you buy a book, very cheaply ;-) then it's not DRM'd and you can choose your format for download, epup, html, etc.

Well worth a look, although site a little slow sometimes.

Jeff
    01-04-12 09:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD