Just as a reminder ........ You should backup any of your free apps and or games that you really like as they don't stay free forever. I don't know if anyone has noticed but Asphalt 6 Adrenaline HD is now 99 cents even if you downloaded it for free it is now 99 cents.
    Symeonify likes this.
    10-27-12 11:29 AM
    Yes they are limited period offers..
    10-27-12 11:52 AM
    How do I backup the apps?
    10-27-12 03:54 PM
    Connect the playbook to your computer with the usb cable, open blackberry desktop software, device tab, backup tab, backup type custom, select application data, under file options select were you want to save the backup and the name of the backup file, then click backup button.
    Bobert_123 likes this.
    10-27-12 04:14 PM
    Unfortunately, you canNOT backup or restore individual apps unless something has changed. So you could wind up restoring older apps you no longer need/want over newer versions or wind up with a mix of formerly free apps, some free apps and future pay for apps and there's no way to get any particular app back how you want it!
    10-27-12 05:43 PM
    Connect the playbook to your computer with the usb cable, open blackberry desktop software, device tab, backup tab, backup type custom, select application data, under file options select were you want to save the backup and the name of the backup file, then click backup button.
    I tried this a couple of times posr 2.1 update and can not take backup of applications. It starts and says connection broken after a whioe. Anyone facing this? Any suggestions.
    10-28-12 02:35 AM
    I tried this a couple of times posr 2.1 update and can not take backup of applications. It starts and says connection broken after a whioe. Anyone facing this? Any suggestions.
    I read in some forum thread that this happens due to sideloading apps. The person who gave this info was a reputed developer. He wrote that some developers add an extra piece of code in their apps because of which the people who sideload the apps cannot backup. I don't know how much of this is true. Any dev can confirm this?
    10-28-12 05:03 AM
    I've heard of two cases where it happens:
    1. Programs which cache large maps: Magellan, Google maps etc.
    2. Sometimes sideloaded apps leave behind files even after being deleted..

I can confirm neither though..
    10-28-12 08:18 AM
    I wish I had known about backing up apps before I has accidentally deleted muffin knight
    10-28-12 01:59 PM
    I read in some forum thread that this happens due to sideloading apps. The person who gave this info was a reputed developer. He wrote that some developers add an extra piece of code in their apps because of which the people who sideload the apps cannot backup. I don't know how much of this is true. Any dev can confirm this?
    Thanks for response guys,

I am trying to isolate the issue now, I can backup settings and media, so it ruled out any issue with USB, desktop software, PC etc.

I have tried with file sharing, wifi and bluetooth off/on as well. same result.

In general it never went past 100 Bytes (except for one time; where it went till 5-6 GB and than disconnect with same error). I will update in case I get some clue. Right now trying deleting some apps.
    11-01-12 08:57 AM
    ^ I read that some people have had luck getting a complete backup simply by turning off the PB wi-fi before beginning the backup process. It's easy so probably worth a shot.
    11-01-12 09:01 AM
    Based on internet comments,

I deleted cooklet app, start backup, same result.
    I deleted all GPS related APPs(google maps, osmund and gps test etc), start backup, same result.
    I deleted a couple more misc apps and at present it is past 100 bytes, @ 500 MB. Lets see how it goes
    11-01-12 09:06 AM
    ^ I read that some people have had luck getting a complete backup simply by turning off the PB wi-fi before beginning the backup process. It's easy so probably worth a shot.
    Yeah, I read that as well; tried no success.(updated in my post as well).
    11-01-12 09:07 AM
    Based on internet comments,

I deleted cooklet app, start backup, same result.
    I deleted all GPS related APPs(google maps, osmund and gps test etc), start backup, same result.
    I deleted a couple more misc apps and at present it is past 100 bytes, @ 500 MB. Lets see how it goes
    It went till 1.2 GB and stopped. I started backup again to see if it behaves similarly, and it again stopped at 1.2 GB. time to remove few more apps. (I am removing all android apps basically, skipping the native one) . I deleted PC Monitor, remote desktop app and Nimbuzz this time.

With Advanced task manager, Photoshop and Tubemate gone, It worked fine finally.

So I removed around 20 apps.( TripAdvisor, Ghost commander, Linkedin, Flickr, Taptu, Dolphin, Evernote, 3 more pads related apps).

I still have plenty of sideloaded apps so not all of them are bad.
    Last edited by adi_vastava; 11-01-12 at 10:58 AM.
    11-01-12 09:22 AM