Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Trini-34
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Question Facebook certificate error

A strange thing started to happen on my Playbook about 2 days ago. Randomly a screen would pop up saying "Verify the Certificate. You are connecting to: api.facebook.com. The certificate's basic constraints are improperly marked as not critical...[blah blah]... Issued by: Verisign, Inc Expires Dec 31 2013... [blah blah] Accept or Deny".

At first I thought it was random, but then realized it only happens when Messages checks for e-mail, which makes sense because I have FaceBook in my accounts.

So my question is (warning, might be stupid), is it possible that my PB was "hi-jacked" or is that a FaceBook screw up? Anyone else having this problem? If some people are and some are not, is there a reason for our certificates to be different?

Thanks
    CrackBerry Abuser

I received this just this morning, I didn't look at it I just closed it and got ready for work but it was definitely what you are describing.
    CrackBerry Addict

I'm getting them too. Eventually had to accept and "don't ask again".
    also *.facebook.com
    CrackBerry User

I've gotten this a lot in the past and still continue to get it every once in a while now. It usually happens on my Playbook when I am using a free WiFi connection (ex. hotel, coffee shop, etc). In the past, I have just clicked "Accept" or "Trust this Certificate" or whatever it is at the bottom.

Sometimes it continues to pop up like 5 or 6 times in a row. And then finally allows me to continue with what I was doing. Weird.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    221 Global Posts
    PIN
    non ya fn

This just happened for the first time yesterday on both PlayBook's in the house. I imagine it's on Facebook 's end and not a PlayBook error.
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  

Thanks all. I am using it on my normal private wifi network. It seems like FaceBook's issue with the certificate so I will just hit trust and accept instead of deny every 10 minutes until December 31st or whenever they fix it.

Default Facebook certificate error

Yeh their certs are expiring

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,936 Global Posts

Gosh, I was so annoyed all day today and yesterday. I deleted my Facebook account from my Messages and the notifications seem to havegone away.
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    the tail on the trolls.

Same thing here. Keep getting certificate pop ups sometimes up to four in a row and no less than two in a row. Since it is happening to multiple users it seems unlikely that it is malicious, however at the same token I do not want to "Accept" it either and create a future vulnerability.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    Take a penny from every American and you will be a millionaire. Take 99 cents for an "App" and the possibilities are endless.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    17,752 Global Posts

I was getting this "facebook" message also, I just deleted my facebook message account and it stopped. Not missing it to much as my time spent on Facebook has decreased considerable
    CrackBerry Abuser

Popped up on mine no less than 25 times between last evening and tonight! I had already uninstalled the FB app tonight before reading this thread and it was still popping up until I deleted the message account. Now seems good. I didn't want to give carte blanche to FB with the certificate until I knew what that might entail. Thanks for posting!
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    12,276 Global Posts

Default Re: Facebook certificate error

started this morning, start driving me crazy. seems to have finally stopped
    CrackBerry Addict

PIN
    the tail on the trolls.

Mine has not stopped. Still getting the certificate pop ups.

Take a penny from every American and you will be a millionaire. Take 99 cents for an "App" and the possibilities are endless.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,936 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by crackfinder View Post
    Mine has not stopped. Still getting the certificate pop ups.

Delete your Facebook account from your Messages App.
    Unless of course you use the Messages App to message people on facebook.

Basically, whenever the Messages App tries to connect to facebook to retrieve messages, it's going to give you that certificate error. For those who need their facebook account in the Message App, I hope they fix this error.
    Thanked by:
    DINGSTER1 (11-28-2012) 
    CrackBerry Newbie

Hi Friends,

I am also getting the same "blah.. blah.." I have accepted sometimes and declined most of the times... But nothing worked.

And atlast, now i have deleted my FB account on the Message App, and there is no popping-ups now... Hopefully.... Waiting for the error to be fixed.
    CrackBerry User

Happened to mine a couple of nights ago, however as I use mine as a clock at night it kept lighting up the room - the missus was not pleased!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    BBAP
    CrackBerry Addict

This is why I love CB forum! I am experiencing the same thing and had the same concerns and you all answered them all. I never like granting access to any of my devices, files, emails, pics, video, etc. So, when I saw this FB-error I got concerned; I am not anymore. Thank you, CB users and abusers!!!
    BerryClever likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Thread AuthorThread Author   #18  

Since when I posted saying that I hit accept (I had to do it about 2 or 3 times in a row), it has not popped up again. For me there was no reason to remove and leave off Facebook in my accounts. Maybe deleting and re-adding might help, but there seems to be no reason not to re-add it.

That said, for some reason what works for some doesn't seem to work for others. For those with the issue, I think at least try to either hit accept the few times it pops up or delete and reinstall it before assuming it will always pop up. That might be better than assuming it is an unfixable problem and saying to the h*ll with it and remove it all together from your device. It may not work for some, but it may work for others.
    CrackBerry User

having same problems.
    CrackBerry Newbie

Default Verify the certificate popups

I deleted facebook from my accounts. I never use it any way. I always access FB thru the web. I'm hoping this will stop the annoying "Verify the Certificate" popups.
    CrackBerry User

yeah that is what i am doing also.
    It was nice having all e-mails in one spot though.
    CrackBerry User

Default Let's Fire This One back Up

I keep getting the msg but do not have FaceBook app on my Playbook. So why am I getting it and is there really no danger in
    always trusting" facebook.com?
    CrackBerry User

you might have the facebook account added not just the app. just go to your accounts in the settings and see if a facebook account is there. and if you want that message to stop you may have to remove your facebook account.