Hey u guys i know u might be working on it but i decided to help out in anyway i could with a nds emu below are the hardware specs which the playbook exccedes by a long shot so it wont be a ram problem + i linked to a couple different emus for nds ( i wasnt sure wat u guys look for when porting these emus so i linked a few u could look into)

Technical specifications

Mass: 275 g (9.7 oz)
    Physical dimensions: 148.7 mm � 84.7 mm � 28.9 mm (5.85 in. � 3.33 in. � 1.13 in.)
    Screens: Two TFT LCDs
    18-bit depth (262,144 colors)
    Resolution of 256 � 192 pixels
    Dimensions: 62 � 46 mm (2.4 � 1.8 in); 77 mm (3.0 in) diagonal, and a dot pitch of 0.24 mm.
    Gap between screens: approximately 21 mm; equivalent to about 92 "hidden" lines.
    The lower display is overlaid with a resistive touchscreen, which registers pressure from one point on the screen at a time, averaging multiple points of contact if necessary.
    CPUs: Two ARM processors
    32 bit ARM946E-S main CPU; 67 MHz clock speed. Processes gameplay mechanisms and video rendering.
    32 bit ARM7TDMI coprocessor; 33 MHz clock speed. Processes sound output, Wi-Fi support and takes on second-processor duties in Game Boy Advance mode.
    RAM: 4 MB of mobile RAM, expandable via the Game Boy Advance slot (expansion only officially used by the Opera web browser).
    Voltage: 1.65 v required.
    Storage: 256 kB of serial flash memory.
    Wireless connectivity: Built-in 802.11b Wireless Network Connection (WEP encryption support only).[22]

Desume:DeSmuME - Nintendo DS Emulator

No$GBA:No$GBA : NoGBA best DS Emulator 4 NDS ROMs

DSEmu:Nintendo DS Emulator - DSEmu

and heres a website with quite a few The Emulator Zone - Nintendo DS

note b4 porting this im not sure which one of these or if any at all are open source u may even have to contact the original dev to use their program wish u devs all the best
    04-29-12 08:04 PM
    What is possible on adnroid, can more or less be possible on the playbook.
    Check out the ds emu on android, and wait until then, as they have more devs working on optimization
    04-29-12 08:59 PM
    I would of agreed a few days ago but now we have a working ps1 emulator . N64 can wait a while.... for me anyway. Plus a lot of N64 games used the analog stick. They don't work too well on a touchscreen. The amount of buttons that controller had the screen will be a bit of a cluttered mess. If we can get pad support for playbook then I'm gonna be happy. Til then though, N64 is not that high on the list
    Idk, I've seen other n64 emulators play analog-heavy games (super mario 64 etc etc) and they seemed rather smooth. Come on, imagine super mario 64 on playbook!!!!!!!!!
    04-29-12 10:24 PM
    Idk, I've seen other n64 emulators play analog-heavy games (super mario 64 etc etc) and they seemed rather smooth. Come on, imagine super mario 64 on playbook!!!!!!!!!
    I'm not a fan of mario games (lol sorry) I would love some N64 Zelda though
    04-30-12 04:37 AM
    @dosboxwasthestuff

Though I myself would like this (the new Zeldas, FF Tactics A2, Yu-Gi-Oh, maybe a new Pokemon...) I doubt it being possible... NDS emulation isn't perfect yet even on the PC... and most emus require quite a bit of power.

The lightest emu on the PC is NO$GBA which besides being paid (the latest versions are) and close sourced it also hasn't seen any update in some years now. There is however a dos version which I guess you could try under DosBox (but expect it to be really slow if it even works... an emu under another emu). Look in their homepage.

iDeaS is quite nice on a PC but also not that light. Plus it's source is closed.

DSemu was a very early FLOSS nds emu. It could only run a few homebrew apps. Completely deprecated and was long abandoned. Not what users will be looking for

Desmume is quite nice and the only active FLOSS nds emu project out there but it's quite heavy... I think I remember reading about the ports under Android being super slow and unplayable (I remember the PoC on the PSP... even slower but proved the concept). So I don't think this would be portable without a great fair amount of rewrite and hacking (but even disabling sound and adding frameskip... I don't know).

PS: Under Android there was also nds4droid which was paid (so forget about the sources) but also slow (it's reported as laggy under 1.5GHz dual cores even with no sound... doubt about it being playable). The link at Google Play was removed and I couldn't find the author homepage.
    Last edited by joaosousa; 04-30-12 at 07:50 AM.
    04-30-12 06:05 AM
    Anyway of getting emulators to actually render at higher resolution like the emulator versions on pc. Epsxe for instance. Rendering textures at high on that makes it look awesome. Scaling to fit a resolution of the device is not so awesome. All these Emulators seem to run at native res or scaled up a bit.
    04-30-12 06:36 AM
    Anyway of getting emulators to actually render at higher resolution like the emulator versions on pc. Epsxe for instance. Rendering textures at high on that makes it look awesome. Scaling to fit a resolution of the device is not so awesome. All these Emulators seem to run at native res or scaled up a bit.
    Request is noted, and will be looked into, this one will be lower priority. GEtting all of them working at one standard is current priority!
    04-30-12 07:34 AM
    In the case of PSX, this is done on the PC by using OpenGL as the GPU plugin, rather than straight software. An OpenGLES port of the OpenGL exists, but so far I've heard it's still pretty buggy and not as smooth as the current one. It would most likely need to be fully rewritten as OpenGLES to get up to a decent speed (not something I can do). It's something I'll look to port eventually, if only to see how it runs and to keep track of it's progress.
    dosboxwasthestuff likes this.
    04-30-12 08:05 AM
    In the case of PSX, this is done on the PC by using OpenGL as the GPU plugin, rather than straight software. An OpenGLES port of the OpenGL exists, but so far I've heard it's still pretty buggy and not as smooth as the current one. It would most likely need to be fully rewritten as OpenGLES to get up to a decent speed (not something I can do). It's something I'll look to port eventually, if only to see how it runs and to keep track of it's progress.
    Awesome thank you
    04-30-12 09:16 AM
    Update: VBAMpb has had a divorce with their gameboy color counterpart.

GBColor-pb (tentative name, suggest in refresh topic) has emerged.

I have split the emulators apart to focus on both of them individually and make them strong, rather than try to hack the two together.

Topic in sig.
    05-01-12 01:02 PM
    Figured out how to sideload these emulators and now I'm about to rip one of my PSX games and test them out.

On a side note.

I'm willing to help with interface bitmap graphics with any of these emulators to they look sharp.

If you are interested let me know and I'll see how I can help.
    05-01-12 05:54 PM
    Maddog Williams proper retro gaming on dosbox. Well happy with this
    05-02-12 07:31 AM
    05-03-12 08:53 AM
    Well, since this forum has given me so much, I figure it's time to give back a bit. Hi guys. Glad to join the community. I love you guys. You've made my Playbook experience drastically better.

For VBAMpb:
    Place these files in /misc/vbampb
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7265467/Fanc...b.Settings.zip

I tweaked a lot of settings. I don't remember all the changes I made, but here are the ones I remember:
    - VBAMpb didn't play nice with Pokemon Emerald, and some other games (emulation wouldn't progress after the Gameboy loading screen). Inclusion of vba-over.ini seems to have fixed that for me.

- Pokemon Fire Red and Leaf Green stuttered extensively. Disabling auto frame skip fixed that, but caused audio issues in certain places. Thus, I muted audio. vbam_mute.cfg disables auto frame skip and mutes audio, vbam_unmute.cfg enables auto frame skip and unmutes audio.

- Emulation pauses when focus switches away from VBAMpb.

- I added simpler/nicer looking dpad and buttons.

- Use tco_gba.xml if you're playing GBA games. The buttons are invisible; swipe down to see button placement. (top left = select, top right = save, bottom left = dpad, bottom right = a and b). I got rid of the save state/load state buttons because they were pissing me off, as I kept accidentally brushing them, and all my progress would be erased (shut up, I'm obsessed with keeping dust and smudges off of the beautiful display).

- Use tco_gbc.xml if you're playing GBC games. Emulation is NOT FULLSCREEN, and buttons appear on the sides of the game. I think top left = save state, top right = load state, bottom left of game display = select, bottom right of game display = start. Swipe down and check out the button placement. You'll figure it out.

- Got rid of rom cycler button. Kept hitting that as well, and all my gameplay would be lost. Also, I thought it was clumsy and annoying.

Since I'm currently playing Pokemon Light Platinum (amazing rom hack by the way), tco.xml is tco_gba.xml, and vbam.cfg is vbam_mute.cfg. If you want to use tco_gbc.xml instead, or vbam_unmute.cfg instead, simple rename them to tco.xml or vbam.cfg, and overwrite the existing tco.xml or vbam.cfg.

Basically, this setup will allow you to play 1 GBA or GBC game at a time much more optimally. I know that, in light of jtokarchuk's much commendable Emulator Refresh Project, my tweaks might become redundant quite soon, but I hope that I can improve the VBAMpb experience for at least a short while while we all eagerly await jtokarchuk's amazing work.

Good luck have fun.
    Last edited by fancyname; 05-03-12 at 11:22 PM. Reason: forgot something
    dosboxwasthestuff likes this.
    05-03-12 11:15 PM
    Well done. There was some talk on focusing on a more low level VBA port (C) for better speed, but I will do what I can in the meantime to this one.

Thank you for the work.

As I have not used VBA a lot, how is the game performance?
    05-03-12 11:18 PM
    I grumble at the "blurry" scaling, but I'm actually quite pleased with game performance. Games run smoothly without graphical glitches. My Playbook does get unexpectedly hot while playing Pokemon Light Platinum though (a Ruby rom hack), but otherwise, I have no complaints.

Also, I'd love to help out with future Playbook/Crackberry endeavours, if you ever need a hand. I've made an iOS game before, and I know my way around code.
    Last edited by fancyname; 05-03-12 at 11:29 PM.
    05-03-12 11:26 PM
    I grumble at the "blurry" scaling, but I'm actually quite pleased with game performance. Games run smoothly without graphical glitches. My Playbook does get unexpectedly hot while playing Pokemon Light Platinum though (a Ruby rom hack), but otherwise, I have no complaints.

Also, I'd love to help out with future Playbook/Crackberry endeavours, if you ever need a hand. I've made an iOS game before, and I know my way around code.
    By all means, dig in. Fork the github and pull request back to main. Could really use the help.
    05-03-12 11:45 PM
    News: VBAMpb has been (HEAVILY) updated!

https://github.com/downloads/trevorn...pb-1_0_1_2.bar

v1.0.1.1

1. Visual Rom Selector, tap top left
    2. Save files now work and load.
    3. Made graphics transparent to work better with fullscreen.
    4. Fixed L + R (was backwards)
    5. App now automatically creates and reads in vbam-over.ini
    6. App now automatially creates vbam.cfg
    7. Bios Dir was changed to misc/vbampb/bios
    8. Savegames and savestates save into misc/vbampb/savegames
    9. Gameboy Color functionality REMOVED -- Available in Emulator GBColor-pb

ENSURE YOU MOVE YOUR BIOS TO misc/vbampb/bios
    Last edited by jtokarchuk; 05-05-12 at 12:20 AM.
    05-05-12 12:03 AM
    CPS1/2 For request
    05-05-12 03:21 AM
    News: VBAMpb has been (HEAVILY) updated!

https://github.com/downloads/trevorn...pb-1_0_1_2.bar

v1.0.1.1

1. Visual Rom Selector, tap top left
    2. Save files now work and load.
    3. Made graphics transparent to work better with fullscreen.
    4. Fixed L + R (was backwards)
    5. App now automatically creates and reads in vbam-over.ini
    6. App now automatially creates vbam.cfg
    7. Bios Dir was changed to misc/vbampb/bios
    8. Savegames and savestates save into misc/vbampb/savegames
    9. Gameboy Color functionality REMOVED -- Available in Emulator GBColor-pb

ENSURE YOU MOVE YOUR BIOS TO misc/vbampb/bios
    Tnx once again can u hop over to the gb emu thread having some problems
    05-05-12 12:26 PM
    both have been fixed. check respective threads.
    05-06-12 12:49 AM
    just recently found this simple way to sideload directly from chrome or firefox browser enjoy http://gridbook.org/pb-app-mgr/ also it can launch/terminate apps on your pb sort of like a remote control chrome browser works best
    05-07-12 05:18 PM
    Could be used any bluetooth controller with the playbook?

sixasis .bar doesn�t work

I want to play cronno trigger on my device!!!

Thanks!
    05-08-12 06:40 PM
    Could be used any bluetooth controller with the playbook?

sixasis .bar doesn�t work

I want to play cronno trigger on my device!!!

Thanks!
    no as of right now u cant but i have no clue if they said anything about it a bb jam 10 that just happened someone who went there help me out?
    05-08-12 08:01 PM
    I would just like to thank everyone who has played any role whatsoever in playbook emulation! My playbook has become my favourite pass time. I spend a lot of time waiting in hospitals and vehicles due to family illness, and appreciate the huge reduction in thumb - twiddling I have to do. I would like to especially thank JTokarchuk, as I consider you one of, if not THE backbone of playbook emulation, simply due to all the support you provide for the emulation endeavor. I have literally NO complaints about any of the emulators I use. I have been following this thread since the day it started, and am thankful for all the effort that has been poured into it. Eagerly awaiting the N64 emulator!
    jtokarchuk likes this.
    05-09-12 03:02 PM
487 ... 7891011 ...