Is it true that EA is done with playbook?
    I am hearing a 'rumor' that EA will not be making any more new games for the playbook

Also I am seeing NO 'Playbook' listed under Platform unlike ipad, android, kindle etc..
    All Games - Electronic Arts - EA

It would be sad if they bail out thinking playbook is a failed device for revenues, only after releasing only one paid game.
    11-09-11 10:27 AM

I am hearing a 'rumor' that EA will not be making any more new games for the playbook

Also I am seeing NO 'Playbook' listed under Platform unlike ipad, android, kindle etc..

It would be sad if they bail out thinking playbook is a failed device for revenues, only after releasing only one paid game.

I would think this would be short-sited given that the future of BB is QNX. But I only guess.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    bermont likes this.
    11-09-11 10:34 AM
    They released a few paid games. Simcity, Dead Space and The Game of Life (I think that was EA, feel free to correct me).

EA is a business and if they think there's money to be made, they will make more PlayBook games. I imagine they have a very small team that ports their iOS games to PlayBook, that would explain why it took so long to get the paid games.

I personally don't think EA will stop, considering this OS will be used on all future berries.
    11-09-11 10:39 AM
    Is it a "rumor" you're hearing, or merely a rumor? (I'm fuzzy on the distinction.)

And where are you hearing it? I don't think anyone else here is hearing a rumor about that.

I don't think there's likely any truth to it in any case, since from all appearances EA has made a killing on the games they've ported to the PB so far. They charge a chunk more than on other platforms, but for the most part have stayed high up in the Top Paid list for weeks and weeks. By my crude initial estimates for Sim City I figured they probably paid for the cost of the port in the first week or so of the release. Unless they're under some sort of pressure from Google/Apple, I can't see them abandoning a platform that's already so profitable for them with so few tablets sold, when there's still a chance it will sell many more tablets and could become even more profitable (if they can leverage their early lead over the competition, from their gamble in supporting it in the first place).

I'd say abandoning the PB market now should be the last decision the manager involved makes for that company.
    11-09-11 10:47 AM

Where did you hear the "rumor" from? Browsing EA's forums, facebook sites, twitter feeds and various gaming feeds, I haven't seen anything that suggests that EA will no longer be supporting the Playbook. The only thing I have seen is people reporting from the recent DevCon that EA reps indicated that they are still supporting it and have games in the pipeline coming out for the Playbook. (Five key gaming takeaways from RIM's BlackBerry DevCon Americas 2011, feature, RIM BlackBerry DevCon Americas, PocketGamer.biz)

As for the Playbook not be listed under Platform like ipad, etc., that I can't comment on as I'm not sure the Playbook was ever listed there. If it was there before and has been removed; then I can see some reason to be concerned. But if it was never there in the first place, then I'd say dont worry about it. Perhaps they're taking a page from Gameloft which still doesn't ackwnoledge that they have released games for the Playbook
    11-09-11 10:49 AM
    Is it a "rumor" you're hearing, or merely a rumor? (I'm fuzzy on the distinction.)
    Or is it a rumor he is starting with the thread.
    11-09-11 10:53 AM
    Well, as long as it is still "rumor", RIM should do something about it before it becomes fact... starting with fixing the Error ID:10000... a lot of us still cannot purchase applications and games in BlackBerry PlayBook App... we are looking forward to OS2 to fix it but it was even tentatively delayed for another months...

Wake up RIM..
    11-09-11 11:36 AM
    I'm with Darlaten (never thought I'd say THAT!), and I think they never had it listed on their website for whatever reason. I dug REAL deep, and there is no mention of the PlayBook at all.

They are still top selling games in App World so they certainly exist and you would think more are on the way, expecially when porting (or so they say) is SO easy.
    11-09-11 11:56 AM
    It's the same issue as Gameloft. Who cares if it's on their website or not as long as they keep porting them over...
    11-09-11 12:24 PM
    I think it is a case of popular support - they were a big draw when PB being demoed, (Need for Speed + Tetris), and I won the free NFS PB (typing this on it) but have never found a mention except on their eamobile on facebook. Though they have vast resources, until a huge demand arises only the really popular ports will take place.
    11-09-11 01:01 PM
    Is it a "rumor" you're hearing, or merely a rumor? (I'm fuzzy on the distinction.).
    isn't it like asking "If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?" "
    Rob Robertson likes this.
    11-09-11 01:09 PM
    Well, as long as it is still "rumor", RIM should do something about it before it becomes fact... starting with fixing the Error ID:10000... a lot of us still cannot purchase applications and games in BlackBerry PlayBook App... we are looking forward to OS2 to fix it but it was even tentatively delayed for another months...

Wake up RIM..
    try using a different email address and password for BBID and Paypal. worked for me!
    11-09-11 01:36 PM
    isn't it like asking "If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?" "
    But you didnt answer the question as to where you heard the "rumor".
    11-09-11 11:33 PM
    11-11-11 02:26 PM
    Looks like bb.pl was wrong AGAIN! I just got done playing the latest EA PlayBook release, Madden 12!
    11-12-11 01:57 PM
    But you didnt answer the question as to where you heard the "rumor".
    I heard the rumor from someone closely tied with the gaming industry for mobile devices. The rumor is EA has dropped supporting playbook games and once the games in the pipeline (like the recently released Madden 12) comes out they will no longer be making games for the playbook.

Again before jumping to conclusion please read the original post. I am posing a question and not making a statement i.e Is it true that EA is done with playbook?
    11-12-11 04:44 PM
    I heard a rumor from multiple sources who are close to the mobile industry that Apple would be releasing an iPhone 5 in October of 2011.
    bulls2213 likes this.
    11-13-11 09:35 AM
    As for the crApple, it's rotting.
    11-20-11 04:03 PM
    Or is it a rumor he is starting with the thread.
    Or maybe its true that EA is no longer making games ....??!
    06-30-12 07:25 PM
    Blackberry Playbook Games - EA exists on their website. They support playbook but there are a lot of 'mobile' games they could put on playbook and so far they haven't...
    06-30-12 08:04 PM
    Well I live close to the EA games Canada office. They laid off a lot of people a few years ago. It would be no shock if they pulled the plug on the PB. Times were good at that location for years. The current economic conditions in the states and at RIM would be enough for me to pull the plug.
    06-30-12 11:30 PM
    Too bad if they stopped making games for the PB.... THey seemed to have made a lot of money off the Playbook.....
    07-01-12 12:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD