Hi people,

Just looking for some help - I've sideloaded the Android version of Dropbox using Adam's fabulous tutorial How to load Android apps on your BlackBerry PlayBook from your Mac | CrackBerry.com

The Dropbox app works really well except...

...it won't open an xlsx (or a docx or a pptx - basically any new Office file) file from within the Dropbox application. When I try it says:

"Can't open filename.xlsx please download an app that can open this file"

The thing is, I have docs2go AND smart office installed which can both open xlsx files.

(I know I could rename the file to .xls or .doc - but that is a really labour intensive "not going to work for me" solution).

If I use another application like Playcloud to access my Dropbox account, I can copy the files and then paste them into a folder on the Playbook.

From there, they open fine in docs2go as standard - or Smart Office 2 if I open Smart Office 2 and then browse to the file in question.

So - it is as if the Dropbox application is not associating an xlsx file with anything to be able to open it - so this is a fault with the Dropbox app and not with Dropbox cloud storage (i.e. the xlsx file is not corrupt as it opens in other apps after having been downloaded from the Dropbox cloud storage).

• Any ideas how to get the main Dropbox app to open these files?

I just like the way that the Dropbox app will actually sync the files - rather than the other 3rd party apps which seem to give access, but not to synch - so I have to manually go in, find the files that have changed in my Dropbox account and download them if using a 3rd party app.

• Likewise, if anyone could tell me how to get a 3rd party app to synch rather than me having to download and save manually, that would be fabulous too!

• While I'm here - does anyone know how to change what application is used to open file extensions by default? Like in the old Windows you would "associate with" an application for a specific filetype?

Many thanks,

Harry
    10-08-12 06:18 PM
    Try sideloading an android office suite, Quickoffice Pro or OfficeSuite Pro.
    10-08-12 06:47 PM
    Hello,
    I have a Blackberry curve 8520 (OS version : v4.6.1.314) and I cannot open xlsx files or pdf. I tried to open Office 2007 files using the application "Documents To Go" but I just got this message "This version does not support Office 2007 files...".
    Please help me to resolve this problem.
    Many thanks in advance.
    03-10-13 01:59 PM
    Why sideload Dropbox when BlueBox is available. I can open almost all Office docs, except RTF files
    03-10-13 02:02 PM
    Hello,
    Is the BlueBox available for the Curve 8520?
    03-10-13 02:18 PM
    Just tried my brother's Bold 9780 and nothing came up for BlueBox, so probably not for a 8520.
    03-10-13 02:46 PM
    Thank you for your feedback.
    03-10-13 02:51 PM
    bluebox is for playbook
    03-10-13 05:13 PM