Any try or think its possible to run the dos version of the Commodore 64 emulator Vice?

Update - works
    Last edited by Sonic77; 11-18-11 at 04:01 PM.
    11-18-11 05:07 AM
    Next cpm and then the world!!!! Wonder if my Osborne discs can be pushed into the hdmi port!!!!
    11-18-11 08:54 AM
    Also, if you guys need help with this - there is a small group of us developing applications like this through Welcome to the BBXTeam Website - your welcome to come visit us on chat / bbm / etc if you need any help wtih this
    I just signed up to your site.
    KermEd likes this.
    11-18-11 09:25 AM
    I have a strange sort of error. I installed the game daggerfall, which ran but i couldnt get the mouse to work, i figured i'd need some kind of external mouse driver exe, so uninstalled it, but it left the program directory behind. The directory can't be seen from windows, can't be deleted from within the playbook, or within dosbox, but can be renamed or moved . Not really a serious problem, but folks might wanna avoid using dos program installers if it's going to create invisible/undeletable directories
    11-18-11 11:21 AM
    I just signed up to your site.
    Hey if you decide to stop improving dosbox can you drop me a pm and post the source. I was planning on dropping attempts to work on it for now at least but I want to see it improve.

Edit: If you need something done also pm me. I'll try my best, thanks for what you've done so far keep it up
    Last edited by Meltbox360; 11-18-11 at 11:43 AM.
    11-18-11 11:30 AM
    Very freaking cool
    Waiting for windows 95 to boot as we speak

Mouse integration works, popup keyboard works - this is freaking awesome.
    Last edited by SCrid2000; 11-18-11 at 03:17 PM.
    11-18-11 03:14 PM
    Posted a how-to run windows95 complete with download links on OSBB - thanks for doing this guys Definitely made sure to give BBX team credit on this.
    How To run Windows 95 on your BlackBerry Playbook | OpenSourceBB.com – The best freakin' hybrids. Period.
    kimtuoc and Herve5 like this.
    11-18-11 03:59 PM
    Thanks, worked like a charm after I dwnl'd version 11 directly to PB and renamed to bar file. used localbar to find bar file on PB and installed through localbar. Now have running ALDO & Aladdin. Would like to try installing either Turbo C++ or Borland C++ 5. Which would probably run better on PB. I am only just learning C++ and having a portable compiler would be very helpful. Never used a DOS based compiler before(currently using Visual Studio 8 free edition on PC). Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Will post results of which compiler works best. Will eventually try a text based game and run it through DOSBOX if possible.

Again thanks (I'm sure programing on a PB will not be easy, but with the pop up keyboard might be interesting)
    11-18-11 04:33 PM
    Posted a how-to run windows95 complete with download links on OSBB - thanks for doing this guys Definitely made sure to give BBX team credit on this.
    How To run Windows 95 on your BlackBerry Playbook | OpenSourceBB.com – The best freakin' hybrids. Period.
    That's not dosbox you are linking to, it's a converted apk of a filesystem browser made to mimic dos... Dosbox is a port.

Also, wasn't it meltbox360 and a7omic that ported it?
    Last edited by balth; 11-18-11 at 06:43 PM.
    11-18-11 06:36 PM
    Now lets be VERY clear here. Not myself, meltbox360 or the BBXteam were responsible for this port. The majority of this project(99%) was done by RIM.

They have some very talented and helpful developers doing some very good work and keeping it all open source on GitHub - Playbook

Dosbox along with a number of other projects are sitting there waiting for people to show interest. I guess Meltbox360 and myself were the first to show that interest.

There was minimal work to get this up and running to make it available for everyone to try out. There is some work to be done still to make it better so we can release it on App World.

I plan do do what I can and I am sure those over at RIM will continue to support and contribute to this effort.

I encourage anyone else that is interested to get involved in this, the other projects or just use these to learn to help you with your own project as that is what they are truly meant for.
    11-18-11 07:11 PM
    Ok my bad - thanks balth and A7omic.
    I thought the BBX Team was responsible, and linked to the DosBox on their site.
    Post fixed.
    11-18-11 07:23 PM
    so... has anyone tried win me? i wanna give it a shot
    kenneth2008 likes this.
    11-19-11 02:00 AM
    What program would you recommend to edit the .conf file?

airbrowser only seems to open .txt files...
    11-19-11 10:07 AM
    Is it possible to use the popup keyboard with DOSBox if you don't have a bluetooth keyboard? I had already been using the program on my pc so i knew what I had to do to get it running. Using localbar, the version 11 .bar installed and runs great. I updated the mount line in the .conf file and it shows that it mounted correctly, but with no keyboard, i can't type anything to get a game running! Is there any way, or any version, that uses the pop up keyboard?

I just thought I would add, that after hard coding the commands to load a game in the .conf file, i was able to get Scorched Earth and X-Com: Terror from the Deep to both run. TFTD was a bit easier to play with using your finger as the mouse and using the LC button. I couldn't name anything because I have no pop-up keyboard, but I was able to play using solely the mouse. I did notice that there were some weird sounds glitches when I was playing though.
    Last edited by Sinyk; 11-19-11 at 12:15 PM.
    11-19-11 12:01 PM
    Is it possible to use the popup keyboard with DOSBox if you don't have a bluetooth keyboard? I had already been using the program on my pc so i knew what I had to do to get it running. Using localbar, the version 11 .bar installed and runs great. I updated the mount line in the .conf file and it shows that it mounted correctly, but with no keyboard, i can't type anything to get a game running! Is there any way, or any version, that uses the pop up keyboard?

I just thought I would add, that after hard coding the commands to load a game in the .conf file, i was able to get Scorched Earth and X-Com: Terror from the Deep to both run. TFTD was a bit easier to play with using your finger as the mouse and using the LC button. I couldn't name anything because I have no pop-up keyboard, but I was able to play using solely the mouse. I did notice that there were some weird sounds glitches when I was playing though.
    The native PB keyboard works - swipe from bottom-left corner of your PB's frame inwards to the screen. It does cover half the screen, but you can enter your dos commands from there.

K.
    Sinyk likes this.
    11-19-11 12:31 PM
    Fantastic! Just tested it in TFTD and i was able to enter the name of my base!

Now to cure the sound glitches. I might have to disable sound all together. It sounds like pops and snaps.

Also, i thought i read that tapping the screen where the mouse pointer was would register a left click. The LC, CC, RC buttons all work but it would save a bit of movement if it could register where the mouse cursor was. Is that possible?
    11-19-11 12:48 PM
    For sound problems you can try changing which version of the soundblaster card it emulates. Just google dosbox conf and you should find a list of valid cards under sound.
    11-19-11 01:01 PM
    What program would you recommend to edit the .conf file?

airbrowser only seems to open .txt files...
    You could rename to .txt, use air browser and then name it back.

Or edit it with your pc.
    11-19-11 01:17 PM
    xcom ufo defense is also working!

it could take me a while to find some good sound settings. there is definitely no music so far so i'm guessing the midi device isn't working. Any idea what kind of midi devices would be supported by the playbook? I would probably have to configure them in the game and the emulator.

update: It does seem to be the midi device causing the sound popping so i just disabled ingame music/ The sound effects when configured in game to use the SB16 work great.

I'm curious if there has been much tweaking to the emulator settings for performance and speed? The game did run, but at times it seemed like it was slowing down intermittently. Any thoughts? a few ctrl +F12 presses might be the solution?
    Last edited by Sinyk; 11-19-11 at 01:45 PM.
    11-19-11 01:29 PM
    xcom ufo defense is also working!

it could take me a while to find some good sound settings. there is definitely no music so far so i'm guessing the midi device isn't working. Any idea what kind of midi devices would be supported by the playbook? I would probably have to configure them in the game and the emulator.

update: It does seem to be the midi device causing the sound popping so i just disabled ingame music/ The sound effects when configured in game to use the SB16 work great.

I'm curious if there has been much tweaking to the emulator settings for performance and speed? The game did run, but at times it seemed like it was slowing down intermittently. Any thoughts? a few ctrl +F12 presses might be the solution?
    I messed around with the settings and the best you can do is keep setting a higher clock through this command "config cpu=x" where x is the emulated frequency. Eventually it will become unstable from my tests but use the highest speed that shows no adverse effects and then add it into your config file. I have't been able to check this myself since doom showed no improvement at any settings. If only I understood the source the rendering could be put on the other core....

To a7omic. Is any part of this program multithreaded as far as you can tell? I wonder if it would benefit from it. I would think so...

Edit: Oooh! Theres fps logging built into the vga driver... I could hack it... maybe... to spit out an average fps every minute or something.
    Last edited by Meltbox360; 11-19-11 at 03:06 PM.
    11-19-11 02:53 PM
    Will you package and sign DosBox-1_0_0_11 so that we can install it, or is there a packaged .bar file already?

Thanks!
    11-19-11 03:04 PM
    Download the 1.0.0.11.zip, rename it to .bar, and sideload it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-19-11 03:11 PM
    Any ideas...

The on screen keyboard works at DOS at the command prompt
    but does not once running the VICE Commodore emulator,
    I then need to use a Wireless kb?
    11-19-11 03:48 PM
    You could rename to .txt, use air browser and then name it back.

Or edit it with your pc.
    You can also rename the *.conf to a *.doc file and edit with Word To Go... worked fine for me... just remember to change the name back to *.conf
    11-19-11 05:10 PM
    cool work,

I've been porting over my old Lucasarts X-Wing games... works great!

I've built a .bat file to mount the drives and run the game, where would I drop it on the PB so it appears in the Z: drive in DOSBox?

Thanks,
    11-20-11 10:26 AM
493 ... 45678 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD