Thank you meltbox and a7omic. Using your .10 bar syndicate by bullfrog appears to run perfectly. Nethack for dos also works but the keyboard is problematic due to the nature of the game. If i had a xmas card list, you guys would be on it! Now to try elite

edit: elite 2: frontier on my playbook. You've made an old man very happy

Is there a dosbox.conf somewhere i can play with to give windows 95 more memory?
    Last edited by balth; 11-16-11 at 08:00 PM.
    11-16-11 05:59 PM
    Fallout starts but chugs along at a slow pace... Nomad, on the other hand, runs excellent and plays great with a bluetooth keyboard
    Last edited by rustmonkey; 11-16-11 at 08:50 PM.
    11-16-11 08:20 PM
    Well after looking over some things I have come to the conclusion that there's not much speed to be eeked out of dosbox. Dosbox is slow on a modern pc so it probably wont get any better. I think for those who want to run doom, we just have to port one of the many projects. I tried playing with dosbox settings but it just made it really finicky and it crashed a lot. Qemu would probably give much better performance but I am nowhere near experienced enough to port it. Time to start looking for more places to learn stuff... high school's offer nothing
    11-16-11 09:01 PM
    I feel pretty dumb asking this.. but how do you load .exe?
    where on the pb do you need to store it to detect the directory?

i've used dosBOX in the past but i remember i did a one time-mount.. what exactly do i have to type in command line to mount say the 'misc' folder of the pb?
    Last edited by alekza; 11-17-11 at 12:10 AM.
    11-16-11 11:41 PM
    you have to copy somewhere like downloads/dosbox via usb

then mount like
    mount c /accounts/1000/shared/downloads/dosbox

ghen change drives
    c:

then look for your app
    dir

then run the .exe

note: installing win3.11 now
    11-17-11 12:14 AM
    I feel pretty dumb asking this.. but how do you load .exe?
    where on the pb do you need to store it to detect the directory?

i've used dosBOX in the past but i remember i did a one time-mount.. what exactly do i have to type in command line to mount say the 'misc' folder of the pb?
    mount c /accounts/1000/shared

c:

cd misc

the above should get you to the misc folder where you should be placing all of your dos programs; alternately you could simply type:

mount c /accounts/1000/shared/misc

then cd to your program directory and type the name of the exe or bat file you wish to launch
    Last edited by rustmonkey; 11-17-11 at 12:18 AM.
    11-17-11 12:16 AM
    but that needs to be done everytime i load tasm?

if thats the case, how do u make a permanent mount? (i remember on my i had to edit the options on a text file)
    11-17-11 12:22 AM
    update win3.11 -mouse not working out of box lol
    11-17-11 12:23 AM
    but that needs to be done everytime i load tasm?

if thats the case, how do u make a permanent mount? (i remember on my i had to edit the options on a text file)

I'm not sure if we can edit the dosbox.conf file to retain specific mounts and settings... or where its even located at...
    11-17-11 12:45 AM
    This needs to be investigated and ideally get it written to the shared directory structure.
    11-17-11 08:02 AM
    you can make a script but the script has to be in your mounted drive... this is the problem. I will look into making a .bat or adding to auto-exec so it mounts to shared.
    11-17-11 08:36 AM
    Correction - Win3.1.1 works, it just needed to be restarted.

Attached is a Screenshot

Also, if we find a way to store the Dosbox.conf file ---- let me know. I can help pre-create a bunch of separate DosBox applications that users can install. we might need unique Product Id's for them (like com.dosbox.Win311). But this way we could install multiple dosbox apps side-by-side

11-17-11 08:47 AM
    Also, if you guys need help with this - there is a small group of us developing applications like this through Welcome to the BBXTeam Website - your welcome to come visit us on chat / bbm / etc if you need any help wtih this
    11-17-11 08:53 AM
    I found a hack to get it to auto-mount but I had to use the sound card init xD

It may just be my inability to do much thats complex but anyone have any requests before i upload one with JUST auto-mount c to shared?
    11-17-11 09:23 AM
    you can make a script but the script has to be in your mounted drive... this is the problem. I will look into making a .bat or adding to auto-exec so it mounts to shared.
    I was going to ask Alekza's question. It would be nice to avoid having to keep typing that MOUNT command. Hoping you can accomplish it.
    11-17-11 09:59 AM
    I found a hack to get it to auto-mount but I had to use the sound card init xD

It may just be my inability to do much thats complex but anyone have any requests before i upload one with JUST auto-mount c to shared?
    Go for it. So, if the auto-mount is to the Shared..... we can then navigate within the folder and its SUBfolders? Great. I've been mounting all the way to MISC.
    11-17-11 10:02 AM
    I would not be using files/classes to perform tasks like this when they are not meant to.

I am pretty sure I have figured out how to properly change the location of the dosbox.conf file. Later tonight I will take a look and:

a) figure out exactly where it is written to now
    b) if I cannot access it I will try to have it written to another location.

Once we can access this we can add the mount line and modify other conf properties which will be useful.
    11-17-11 01:03 PM
    is it just me or is most code just impossible to mess with without going through it all a few times. Maybe im crazy but when i write code i comment every single line and add a block explaining each function before each function. Also to temp mod the config you just type config parameter=value and it changes is for the duration of dosbox running. The code seems to all refer to temporary config files. There is a permanent file i say it error out on me. In the sound driver after the set command is added to autoexec try adding it again and it will give you an error saying the config file already has that and it will spit out the path.

I'm on a quest to write a chip8 emu. I'll be back somewhat often to check here though.

Edit: just a note when i modified the config it always either ran the same or became rather unresponsive.
    11-17-11 01:41 PM
    11-17-11 05:02 PM
    As promised, this version will create the directory dosbox in you misc folder and write the .conf file in it.

The folder and file permissions are wide open so you can do whatever you want to them.

You can edit the file and add the mount line at the very end in the autoexec area.

If you delete these and run dosbox it will create them again.

Let me know if you want a version without the touch overlay keys, this would be good for those of you that want to use your bluetooth keyboard and mouse.
    11-17-11 10:40 PM
    Dont tell me what you did but can you tell me which files the code you added is in? I want to learn to do this properly for future things.
    11-17-11 11:13 PM
    Terrific job.

Again, the pb does not appear to enter Standby Mode. It might be a good idea to note this.

Do you think that aspect can be fixed?

Regarding the overlay keypads - can they be made to pop-up like the native pb keyboard? Although, you've done a good job of making them pretty unobtrusive.

Oh, I'm probably tired but what are the right bottom keys SC, LC, RC, CC - oh, swipe down for Touchpad....

edited to add: Inspiration in a dream: Right, Left and Center CLICK - a MOUSE!!!! Seriously, I awoke and immediately realized what those meant!!!!
    Last edited by F2; 11-18-11 at 08:52 AM.
    11-18-11 12:32 AM
    As promised, this version will create the directory dosbox in you misc folder and write the .conf file in it.

The folder and file permissions are wide open so you can do whatever you want to them.

You can edit the file and add the mount line at the very end in the autoexec area.

If you delete these and run dosbox it will create them again.

Let me know if you want a version without the touch overlay keys, this would be good for those of you that want to use your bluetooth keyboard and mouse.
    Awesome stuff!

A toggle on/off button for the touch overlay keys from the swipe-down touchpad menu would be great, but a version without the keys completely would be just as good too.

K.
    11-18-11 01:50 AM
    From Nikko:

Is the version 11 a bar file when it gets unzipped. I can not find a bar file to install to playbook. I installed the earlier version 5 which was a bar file. Can someone please explain how to install version 11. Btw I hope to try to install a C++ compiler to do some testing with on the go. Maybe Turbo C++ or Borland 5

Thanks again with any help offered.
    11-18-11 02:14 AM
    From Nikko:

Is the version 11 a bar file when it gets unzipped. I can not find a bar file to install to playbook. I installed the earlier version 5 which was a bar file. Can someone please explain how to install version 11. Btw I hope to try to install a C++ compiler to do some testing with on the go. Maybe Turbo C++ or Borland 5

Thanks again with any help offered.
    Don't unzip it... just rename .zip to .bar

K.
    haritosan likes this.
    11-18-11 03:33 AM
493 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD