I've always loved video games. Even when I was a little boy - I remember how excited I was when I recieved a video game console (Intellivision) for Christmas. Since then, I've enjoyed video games - even to the point of playing competitively on the PC in Unreal Tournament and Quake.

I've lost the edge over the years - with cat like reflexes of younger, more experienced, and talented players. But, I still thoroughly enjoy games. But, my tastes have change to prefer puzzles, logic games, etc. Mostly, I must admit, because I don't feel like I'm getting tooled on so badly

But, with tablet based computing and the game model changing, I've found myself in a newly increased buying mode of games again. Both because of the portability and the price. Isn't it amazing how the whole model has changed financially? Remember paying $50-60 for a game? Now, you can get a great game for $1.00 - $10.00. That's really interesting to me.

Since picking up video game purchases lately, I've discovered that I get a bit frustrated with the controls on a touchscreen.

I don't know if it is just me, if I haven't given it enough time, or I'm just getting old. But, I really get frustrated trying to press a virtual button when something / someone is shooting at me and my thumb just looses the precision.

Angry Birds, Cut the Rope, Machinarium, Golf - no problem. 1st Peson shooters, Tomb Raider? I suck, LOL. I used to be so great at those things. I am horrible now. Oh the shame.

Oh well, not to put a damper on anyone's fun. I just wondered what people are doing to improve or not get so frustrated with virtual controls.
    Last edited by Dim-Ize; 05-03-12 at 09:25 AM.
    xeju and Kiddello like this.
    05-03-12 09:23 AM
    Yeah the problem lies with porting controller based games to touchscreen devices, it works but it feels awkward, for me the best tablet games are the ones that use the touchscreen to its advantage (angry birds, cut the rope, etc.)
    Dim-Ize likes this.
    05-03-12 09:43 AM
    Not much of a gamer either anymore and I find I wasn't that good with a controller let alone trying to touch the screen to do much more than pull the slingshot back and things like that.

So these games like dead space just frustrate me.
    Dim-Ize likes this.
    05-03-12 10:00 AM
    We need haptic displays or screens that can move.
    05-03-12 10:21 AM
    I love the touch controls, my fingers don't hurt even after playing for hours. Initially when modern combat released I had issues with controls, but after few games it gets easy same thing with Lara Croft
    Dim-Ize likes this.
    05-03-12 10:35 AM
    The hardest thing for me is trying to use any of the emulators here on crackberry. I love them for old school RPGs, but I really can't play any other type of game on those.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    05-03-12 10:45 AM
    I've always loved the FPS games, all the way from the first Wolfenstein up to the modern Quake games and ongoing. I've always played on a PC with a mouse and found it difficult to transition to playing these type of games with a console controller, I like to play Army of Two with my son on his xbox but its hard to get used to the difference.

I've enjoyed playing modern combat on my playbook, it took me quite some time to get used to the controls plus I often find myself shooting off rounds when I don't want to. There is an option in modern combat to change the control layout, but it always reverts when you die or restart the game which is annoying (wish they would fix that bug!). I have to say that I prefer the touch screen to console joysticks though.
    Dim-Ize likes this.
    05-03-12 12:56 PM
    I've always loved video games. Even when I was a little boy - I remember how excited I was when I recieved a video game console (Intellivision) for Christmas. Since then, I've enjoyed video games - even to the point of playing competitively on the PC in Unreal Tournament and Quake.

I've lost the edge over the years - with cat like reflexes of younger, more experienced, and talented players. But, I still thoroughly enjoy games. But, my tastes have change to prefer puzzles, logic games, etc. Mostly, I must admit, because I don't feel like I'm getting tooled on so badly

But, with tablet based computing and the game model changing, I've found myself in a newly increased buying mode of games again. Both because of the portability and the price. Isn't it amazing how the whole model has changed financially? Remember paying $50-60 for a game? Now, you can get a great game for $1.00 - $10.00. That's really interesting to me.

Since picking up video game purchases lately, I've discovered that I get a bit frustrated with the controls on a touchscreen.

I don't know if it is just me, if I haven't given it enough time, or I'm just getting old. But, I really get frustrated trying to press a virtual button when something / someone is shooting at me and my thumb just looses the precision.

Angry Birds, Cut the Rope, Machinarium, Golf - no problem. 1st Peson shooters, Tomb Raider? I suck, LOL. I used to be so great at those things. I am horrible now. Oh the shame.

Oh well, not to put a damper on anyone's fun. I just wondered what people are doing to improve or not get so frustrated with virtual controls.
    Same for me. I actually find a touchscreen the worst type of control for games like TR. A touchscreen is fine for Angry Birds type gaming, but absolutely not for console type games. There just isn't any user feedback about where your fingers and thumb are while trying to control an object on the screen. And lightning fast input is impossible. If it was difficult on a console, it becomes impossible on a touchscreen. I hope RIM will engineer a genuine PB controller for use with games. It would be an outstanding step for them.
    Dim-Ize and Kiddello like this.
    05-03-12 01:03 PM
    I once saw some clear thumbstick type joysticks on the interweb they may help you
    Here's a link to some on ebay http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=55645808913
    I'm strongly considering getting. A set when I get paid
    Dim-Ize likes this.
    05-03-12 01:10 PM
    in the 80s and 90s, i was a video game junkie!! My last console purcgase was the original PS and my last overall was the PSP slim. I sold the psp slim after 4 months cause i was on it 23 hrs a day! Recently, ive relapsed due to all the games coming out for the PB! I own more games on this thing than apps!!
    Now like the OP, touchscreen games scared me. How am i gonna "feel" the controls? FPS games? I wouldnt dare! Tomb Raider, i thought many months ago was gonna be immpossible to play.........

......Now I have a buttload of games on my PB. GAmes i wouldve only got for a console a year ago! The controls are more responsive than i thought! sure my thumbs slip off the screen here and there but i spend the majority of my day (even at work) Playing!
    RIM made me relapse! and i like it!!

It takes a little getting use to. and compared to physical controllers (from the original atari 2600 to the dual analog sticks of today) My thumbs arent suffering from calluses like they use to!
    TR was a wish come true for me. My next wish is a FF game! (Either VII or Crisis Core!)
    Dim-Ize likes this.
    05-03-12 01:41 PM
    My first gaming console was the Vectrex Vectrex - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia which tells you how old I am and to answer the OP's question, I am not a fan of touchscreen gaming controls.

That's not to say that I don't buy games on the Playbook; I certainly do. But quite often, I find that I'm fighting the touchscreen controls or thinking to myself that this would be so much simpler/more fluid if I had a physical controller. I find that games that are simpler or those that don't require as fine a manipulation to play such as Angry Birds, Cut the Rope, Poker, and Eternal Legacy work well. But there were times when I was playing Roboto, Nova 2, Super Crossfire, and even Samuraii Vengeance II where I would have much preferred physical controls.

I suppose it's something that you get used to over time. But I certainly would be the first in line to buy an app that would allow me to use my Playstation BT Controller to play some games.
    Dim-Ize likes this.
    05-03-12 02:21 PM
    I own two Vectrex units and some games for it (I have a little vintage game consoles collection), those devices are awesome!

As for the touchscreen playability: it really depends on the game and how it has been programmed. Some games are way better with the touchscreen (Angry Birds for instance) but others like emulated console games are screaming for a (BT) gamepad...
    Dim-Ize likes this.
    05-03-12 03:02 PM
    I have major trouble trying to move and shoot on Modern Combat.
    JakePNEFC, Yaceka and Dim-Ize like this.
    05-03-12 03:12 PM
    Meh. I'll take a track pad over touchscreen control anyway.
    05-03-12 03:40 PM
    Same for me. I actually find a touchscreen the worst type of control for games like TR. A touchscreen is fine for Angry Birds type gaming, but absolutely not for console type games. There just isn't any user feedback about where your fingers and thumb are while trying to control an object on the screen. And lightning fast input is impossible. If it was difficult on a console, it becomes impossible on a touchscreen. I hope RIM will engineer a genuine PB controller for use with games. It would be an outstanding step for them.
    I'm wondering if some game developers will look into interfacing with some of the bluetooth controllers in the future, although a purposely designed one would be more widely received.
    Marty_LK likes this.
    05-03-12 03:54 PM
    I have major trouble trying to move and shoot on Modern Combat.
    Man its very easy I'll show you how it's done. I'm gonna play MC2 multiplayer anybody interested search for LimeTrip. Going live in 60 seconds.
    05-03-12 04:10 PM
    Touch screens do take some getting used to when used for gaming. Some games to me are better with tactile buttons instead of the virtual ones but everyone will have varying opinions on this.
    05-03-12 04:23 PM
    Yeah, I find it pretty damn hard to get used too. Im a keyboard / mouse gamer and have been for a long time. So, the FPS controls on multitouch screen really throw me off .. ROFL!
    05-03-12 04:26 PM
    I own two Vectrex units and some games for it (I have a little vintage game consoles collection), those devices are awesome!

As for the touchscreen playability: it really depends on the game and how it has been programmed. Some games are way better with the touchscreen (Angry Birds for instance) but others like emulated console games are screaming for a (BT) gamepad...
    I'm so jealous that you still have working Vectrex units - if you havent tried it, try Cosmic Chasm. Hmm, I wonder if that could be emulated onto the Playbook.

As for mapping a BT gamepad; what would it take to actually accomplish this say for a Playstation gamepad? Presumably, there is some licesning to work out between RIM and Sony. If not Sony, what about any of the BT Logitech or other gamepads that are out there?
    05-03-12 04:50 PM
    Yeah, I find it pretty damn hard to get used too. Im a keyboard / mouse gamer and have been for a long time. So, the FPS controls on multitouch screen really throw me off .. ROFL!
    Same with me. But my mouse is a thumb-controlled trackball type. I find it perfect for Max Payne, Half Life, TR type games...shooters of all types. It's very accurate and easy to aim. It was perfect for Halo.

__________________________________________________ _

As far as a gaming pad for the PB, if RIM engineered one and game devs updated their current games for it, this would set RIM apart from even Apple, not to mention Android. The PB would be the first tablet for real gaming as well as business. A Blackberry branded dual analog control pad would be a hot thing. It's possible it would bring in other tablet users to adopt the PB as their choice of portable gaming device.
    Last edited by Marty_LK; 05-03-12 at 05:28 PM.
    05-03-12 05:05 PM
    I've been into video games since the Nintendo as a kid..I find that most games on touchscreens/phones are too basic and casual to really enjoy, especially when I go to my Xbox 360 for my videogame fix. Some games are neat, I just find it harder to enjoy a game without a controller/story, and find having 100x amount of levels of the same gameplay to be too boring.
    05-03-12 11:53 PM
    I tried playing Modern Combat a few times, but I just can't make it work.

I too am a little older - in my 40's - and I've never been a fan of twitchy games. But the translation to a tablet has really killed any ability I have to play them.

I keep vacillating on buying Tomb Raider - it's not a FPS exactly, but it is kinda twitchy. I loved Diablo on the PC, and I've heard TR compared to that. But if it's as hard to control as Modern Combat, all I see is disappointment. :-(
    05-04-12 01:32 AM
    ive seen control sticks that attach to the screen for gameplay, i imagine a dpad and a few buttons that attach to the screen should be simple enough
    05-04-12 04:19 AM
    in fact if you google tactile plus then thats pretty much what im on about

05-04-12 04:26 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD