Does anyone know about a DLNA client for the PlayBook?

I'm using Serviio as a DLNA server and would really like to take advantage of it from my PlayBook. Something like Air Player would be awesome.

Thanks,
    02-12-12 03:47 PM
    Negative. Someone setup an HTML5 alternative here somewhere. And if you want you can use TVersity to stream from your PC to your PB (using it as a web server).

Cheers
    02-12-12 05:24 PM
    Check out Connect To Tversity on appworld!
    KermEd likes this.
    02-12-12 05:26 PM
    02-12-12 11:04 PM
    Does anyone know about a DLNA client for the PlayBook?

I'm using Serviio as a DLNA server and would really like to take advantage of it from my PlayBook. Something like Air Player would be awesome.

Thanks,
    I run the same setup at home. Serviio works great and is free. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a DLNA client for the PB.
    02-13-12 06:40 AM
    Use opera united.
    02-13-12 10:50 AM
    OS2 is rumored to offer an "on air" multimedia streaming capability.
    We don't have much details of this right now, and not even if it'll be in the first OS2 release.

My personal bet is that it is a great argument for the movie store ... so shouldn't be long to appear.

Edit : just read Adam in the text : http://crackberry.com/blackberry-wireless-media-server
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 02-13-12 at 12:15 PM.
    02-13-12 12:11 PM
    According to a BerryReview article from today (Feb 15 2012), RIM is newly listed on the DNLA website. Also the author of the article apparently heard from Mike Lazaridas himself in April that DNLA was coming to the Playbook soon. Hopefully it'll be implemented in the official 2.0 release.
    Using Serviio for my PB would be awesome. I've been banging my head against a wall for a week trying to get any video to stream to my new Bravia TV, couldn't get any of the "supported" formats to work. Installed Serviio tonight and in minutes I was watching HD .mkv's, which according to the Bravia's documentation aren't supported. Nice.
    Can't wait for the new OS.
    02-15-12 09:20 PM
    The latest release of OS 7.1 on my 9810 has suddenly turned my 9810 into a DLNA server. I can't imagine that the same wouldn't be happening with the PB on OS 2.0. Whether it will also be a DLNA reader is another story.
    Superfly_FR and KermEd like this.
    02-18-12 07:12 AM
    UMM, I guess if you want stream your recorded videos from your PB to your TV, but a tablet is generally a consuming device. To me it makes more sense to have a DLNA client over making your phone or PB a DLNA server.
    OneArmJack likes this.
    02-18-12 10:25 AM
    UMM, I guess if you want stream your recorded videos from your PB to your TV, but a tablet is generally a consuming device. To me it makes more sense to have a DLNA client over making your phone or PB a DLNA server.
    I couldn't agree more. I don't have much use for my 9810 as a DLNA server and wouldn't have much use for the PB as such a server -- the DLNA reader in my house (a BR player) already reads from the DLNA server on my main Windows 7 PC, which obviously already has everything I have on my 9810 and PB and hundreds of GB more. I'd rather have all of that media served to my PB.

Also, I found it impossible to stream videos via DLNA from my 9810. They're "only" 720p videos. I can't even stream 1080p videos from my PC to the DLNA reader because its beyond the streaming capacity of my reader (and, I believe, most DLNA readers), so the same would be the case with streaming from the PB.
    02-20-12 06:45 AM
    Hope not to be grave digging too much but I was looking for such a player/client, also. After some reading I found an Apple called UPnPlayer which seems to be the one I was looking for. It is a client, being the only thing necessary to access my music and movie collection. Anybods knows this one?
    07-26-12 06:26 AM
    I tried it but could not get it to work. It saw my server on the network but could not see all of the videos it should have been able to see. Secondly, there was no renderer to select to be able to play anything. I use Serviio as my DLNA server and it works great for both my TV and Blu Ray player. I gave up trying to get this app to work.
    07-26-12 07:11 AM
    I use Windows Home Server 2011 as my DLNA server. It won't stream the content to the Playbook, but I can easily download it to the PB. Great thing about that is I can then take the content with me. That said, it is still frustrating that so many devices around the home can see and play the content, except for my Playbooks!
    07-26-12 12:39 PM
    I just use an apache server over wifi. Works well enough.
    digitalman101 likes this.
    07-26-12 06:36 PM
    Fyi, in regards to the DLNA status for the PB. That is fort he PB to stream out on DLNA not in.

That is, you can stream from your PB to your XBox. You cannot stream from your DLNA to your PB. Until an app is built in Native to support it. They blocked UDP to AIR so no UPnP there. As well, the dev needs to use their own ffmpeg or therein to view.

The easiest way is really just using any media client (tversity, twonky, orb, etc) and accessing it that way. Considering the work effort, its just the easiest way.

Apache and/or html5 solution is good too. But if you are already using a server in your home - might as well add another layer. Its just quicker.

Ed.
    07-27-12 12:38 PM
    I just found an application on AppWorld, UPnPlayer. Just installed and it can see my media server. I haven't tested more. Please give it a try if you are still looking for a DNLA player (like me)
    09-08-12 05:46 AM
    That app sucks. It's more of a remote control and not a player.
    09-09-12 10:12 AM
    Has anyone here tried esExplorer for a simple solution it works fine.At least it streams most of my videos...
    No subs Though...
    kaosnews likes this.
    09-29-12 07:20 PM
    Has anyone here tried esExplorer for a simple solution it works fine.At least it streams most of my videos...
    No subs Though...
    Works great! Thank you
    09-30-12 05:20 AM
    I think we've just got what we were asking for.. last night I took the plunge and bought the KalemSoft Media Player for �5. It recently added DLNA support & I can confirm that it works like a charm with my Humax HDR-Fox T2 set top box, streaming stuff without a problem. I've shot some video of it in action if anyone is interested;

I've also now installed the PC server software & can stream all my HTPC content to my Playbook.. 720p pretty much works (including subtitles & multiple audio tracks!) but pauses slightly as things buffer up now & again; that's probably down to my network/HTPC setup more than anything, but I'll have a fiddle & see if I can improve things. All in all I'd recommend it for �5.. certainly fulfils our need for a decent DLNA client! :-)
    Last edited by matt_c; 01-12-13 at 08:31 AM.
    01-12-13 08:05 AM
    Is that Standard Definition only?
    01-12-13 12:06 PM
    Is that Standard Definition only?
    It works with HD files from the Humax box if they've been decrypted - but doesn't manage to play back without buffering every 10 sec. And when I tried HD files from my server (running the KalemSoft server software) it worked okay, but like I said in my previous post, it also pauses every 10sec or so as things buffer. Not sure where the issue lies. With smaller 720p files (1Gb for 45min) it's absolutely fine, but 720p for a 2hr file it'll suffer.
    01-12-13 12:50 PM
    For music and audio, TopAudioPlayer works only with Twonky Media Server versions 4.x.x, 5.x.x or 6.x.x. I'm using it to play music on my PlayBook streaming from a My Book Live drive. I keep all my music on MyBook Live to save space on the PlayBook. BlackBerry World - TopAudioPlayer
    01-22-13 07:39 PM
    For music and audio, TopAudioPlayer works only with Twonky Media Server versions 4.x.x, 5.x.x or 6.x.x. I'm using it to play music on my PlayBook streaming from a My Book Live drive. I keep all my music on MyBook Live to save space on the PlayBook. BlackBerry World - TopAudioPlayer
    Thanks for the heads up on TopAudioPlayer. This works great on my WDSHARESPACE 8TB NAS. I wish it played video as well as I have a ton on movies on there. It even works when I'm offsite using port forwarding on my router.
    01-23-13 10:24 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD