I've had my playbook since Christmas. The 1st one received had an issue with audio playbook during recordings. Blackberry swapped it out for what I thought was a new one until yesterday.

I was digging around in App world and saw an app for my Bank. BBVA Compass. I did not know it was there. Downloaded it no problem. After download, went to login and it said "this device already registered to another user". Went to BBVA Comapss website and it says that this device has to be unregistered by the current account before I can use it on my account? I never registered it?

I am not hard to please. I don't want to send it back, but does anyone no of a way to make the device forget the other user that registered it? I guess I need to know away to erase the memory of this other BBVA compass user on my Playbook.

I hope this makes sense? Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.
    02-09-12 04:53 PM
    would a full wipe help with this problem?
    02-09-12 05:05 PM
    not likely, device pin is probably registered. the device was probably wiped by the previous owner, if there was one.
    02-09-12 05:10 PM
    I would contact your bank's support and see what they say. It may not be related to the playbook.
    02-09-12 05:35 PM
    mc4nam, when you installed that app, did it request that you grant it permission to access "Device Identifying Information"?

If it did not, there's no way it could be recognizing that specific PlayBook out of all the others.

(You can check which permissions you granted by looking under the System Settings -> Security -> Application Permissions, and then tapping on the individual app.
    02-09-12 05:48 PM
    mc4nam, when you installed that app, did it request that you grant it permission to access "Device Identifying Information"?

If it did not, there's no way it could be recognizing that specific PlayBook out of all the others.

(You can check which permissions you granted by looking under the System Settings -> Security -> Application Permissions, and then tapping on the individual app.
    I do not remember it asking me to grant it permission to anything, it just dowmloaded the app.

It said device already registered to another user. I went into security settings and turned everything from deny to allow.

Should my next step be calling blackberry or BBVA? Any other ideas?
    02-09-12 07:22 PM
    would a full wipe help with this problem?
    not likely, device pin is probably registered. the device was probably wiped by the previous owner, if there was one.
    I just noticed under uninstalled apps that there are 3 total apps that I did not install. Are we sure a full wipe will not do it? Anything I can do with Blackberry desktop software?
    02-09-12 08:43 PM
    The only thing that you can do at this point is to call RIM technical support to get this resolved:
    1-877-644-8410
    02-09-12 09:12 PM
    I do not remember it asking me to grant it permission to anything, it just dowmloaded the app.

It said device already registered to another user. I went into security settings and turned everything from deny to allow.

Should my next step be calling blackberry or BBVA? Any other ideas?
    Wait, what? You turned them from "Deny" to "Allow"?

That means you denied them in the first place, apparently.

When you deny that permission, the PIN is retrieved as "00000000" on all devices. Possibly that's the source of your problem right there...

Try again, now that you've allowed it to access the real PIN on the device.

The reason I brought this up earlier, however, is to point out that if the app, built by your bank, does use this mechanism to "register" devices in some fashion, then absolutely it is their responsibility to allow you to request that the device be transferred, since you bought it legitimately. They really shouldn't be using that information for this purpose, however, and ought to have their wrists slapped if they built that into the app. There's no valid reason for it that I know of.
    02-09-12 09:56 PM
    Okay, let's ask some more: Did you create and register a BBID? Did you assign it to this device when you first did the initialization? If so, then there probably should not be any UNinstalled apps since they are associated with the bbid of the device.

But if you used the same bbid, then apps you installed on your prior device would be available as UNinstalled on the new one.
    02-09-12 10:21 PM
    Okay, let's ask some more: Did you create and register a BBID? Did you assign it to this device when you first did the initialization? If so, then there probably should not be any UNinstalled apps since they are associated with the bbid of the device.

But if you used the same bbid, then apps you installed on your prior device would be available as UNinstalled on the new one.
    F2 I think you are on to something. i did use same BBID. That is probably what happened. I will call blackberry and bank today.
    02-10-12 07:14 AM
    F2 I think you are on to something. i did use same BBID. That is probably what happened. I will call blackberry and bank today.
    Just call the bank. This isn't in any way RIM's problem and they can't fix it for you...
    02-10-12 07:51 AM
    Get the battery guru app and see how many 'recharges' it registers... if its a brand new device that was sent to you then it should show as 1-2 or better '0' , if it was used prior then the number of charge cycles will be a few more (however if the owner returned the device within a day/never charged it- this trick wouldn't work). Offcourse you will have to account for the number of times you charged it yourself.

Peter should like this one
    peter9477 likes this.
    02-10-12 08:19 AM
    Thanks for the help everyone. The bank fixed it for me. If the PB was previously used, I cannot tell that it was and it is registered with Blackberry as a new replacement. I am patiently waiting for OS 2.0 since I am not a BB phone user! This forum has been awesome pre purchase and post purchase.

Thanks
    peter9477 likes this.
    02-10-12 09:16 AM
    Get the battery guru app and see how many 'recharges' it registers... if its a brand new device that was sent to you then it should show as 1-2 or better '0' ,
    I'm not certain that's true though. I've seen a few personally, and heard of many more, where the "initial" recharge count was 6 or even a bit more. Certainly if you get one with, say, 15 or 20 I'd say that's a clear sign of a returned, refurbished, or used device, but having "6" for example is quite common and I believe that could merely be the result of some sort of testing. Just not sure.
    02-10-12 11:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD