Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 44
Like Tree25Likes
  1. XLabz's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    420 Posts
    Global Posts
    429 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default Dictionary+ : English Dictionary & Thesaurus for BlackBerry PlayBook

    Hi All,

    Introducing our latest app for the PlayBook - Dictionary+: An elegant English dictionary and thesaurus.

    Dictionary+ : English Dictionary & Thesaurus for BlackBerry PlayBook-featured_pb.jpg

    Dictionary+ : English Dictionary & Thesaurus for BlackBerry PlayBook-screenshot_pb-01.jpg

    Features:

    • More than 147000 words
    • Works without an internet connection
    • Use this thesaurus to look up synonyms, antonyms, hypernyms (les specific), hyponyms (more specific), meronyms (part of) & more!
    • Example sentences to help you understand the contextual meaning of a particular word
    • An intelligent word entry which suggests possible words and correct spellings as you type
    • Use the ? wildcard for any character or * for a group of characters in the search
    • Save your most used or interesting new words as bookmarks
    • Keep track of the most recent words that youíve looked up in the current session, with the recent history option
    • Based on the Princeton University WordNet Project.


    Dictionary+ is priced at $1.99 and can be downloaded here.

    Dictionary+ : English Dictionary & Thesaurus for BlackBerry PlayBook-screenshot_pb-02.jpg

    Dictionary+ : English Dictionary & Thesaurus for BlackBerry PlayBook-screenshot_pb-03.jpg

    Please feel free to email us your queries and suggestions to bbsupport[at]xlabz.com.
    Check out our other apps for BlackBerry PlayBook and BlackBerry 10 here.

    For the latest news, updates, deals and giveaways, follow us on Twitter & Facebook.

    www.xlabz.com
    Thanked by 2:
    lcgoldman (01-24-2013),  world saviour (01-24-2013) 
  2. Herve5's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    566 Posts
    #2  

    Default

    from the exagerated huge fonts on the screen, am I right in considering this is a BB10-phone interface backport to the PB?
    (don't take this as a criticism, on the contrary, IIRC all available dicts before you are just android things)
    H.
  3. XLabz's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    420 Posts
    Global Posts
    429 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Herve5 View Post
    from the exagerated huge fonts on the screen, am I right in considering this is a BB10-phone interface backport to the PB?
    (don't take this as a criticism, on the contrary, IIRC all available dicts before you are just android things)
    H.
    Hi Herve!

    You're right. The app was built for BB10 but the UI is optimized to work on the PlayBook as well.
    Check out our other apps for BlackBerry PlayBook and BlackBerry 10 here.

    For the latest news, updates, deals and giveaways, follow us on Twitter & Facebook.

    www.xlabz.com
    Thanked by:
    Herve5 (01-24-2013) 
  4. jamesharmeling's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,056 Posts
    PIN
    333BF5D4
    #4  

    Default

    I've tried at least 4 different dictionary apps that have all been horrible. Finding a good,reliable simple dictionary seems to be a task. I'll give this one a go and hopefully it'll be what I've been needing. Thanks!
    BB then, now, forever...yeah, I said it.
    spencerdl and XLabz like this.
  5. world saviour's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    590 Posts
    #5  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesharmeling View Post
    I've tried at least 4 different dictionary apps that have all been horrible. Finding a good,reliable simple dictionary seems to be a task. I'll give this one a go and hopefully it'll be what I've been needing. Thanks!
    Have you ever tried Onelook Dictionary, a friend recommended it and so far I like it. Onelook Dictionary is not an app. I'll give this one a try also, I love a good dictionary. Peace.
  6. jamesharmeling's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,056 Posts
    PIN
    333BF5D4
    #6  

    Default

    Well....this is absolutely the best dictionary app I've tried so far. It's a keeper. Results are fast and the app looks great. Not a very indepth definition, but I like simple. Thanks for the post and thanks for enriching my Playbook experience.
    BB then, now, forever...yeah, I said it.
    Thanked by:
    XLabz (01-27-2013) 
  7. jamesharmeling's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,056 Posts
    PIN
    333BF5D4
    #7  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by world saviour View Post
    Have you ever tried Onelook Dictionary, a friend recommended it and so far I like it. Onelook Dictionary is not an app. I'll give this one a try also, I love a good dictionary. Peace.
    Thanks for the recommendation, but the benefit of Dictionary+ is that it works offline. Onelook is a web based dictionary, so is limited in use. With this app....it's ALWAYS available.
    BB then, now, forever...yeah, I said it.
    spencerdl and XLabz like this.
  8. spencerdl's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    8,876 Posts
    Global Posts
    14,849 Global Posts
    #8  

    Default

    It looks good and I've been looking for a dictionary that works OFF LINE.....going to give it a go. THANKS
    Thanked by:
    XLabz (01-27-2013) 
    jamesharmeling likes this.
  9. spencerdl's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    8,876 Posts
    Global Posts
    14,849 Global Posts
    #9  

    Default

    Just downloaded and I like the app, but are there any plans to have LANDSCAPE mode added. I use a OEM keyboard plus I'm in landscape 95% of the time.
    jamesharmeling and dmlis like this.
  10. Herve5's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    566 Posts
    #10  

    Default

    While this is an english-only dictionary for now, do you have plans to enlarge this, through using for instance the 'wiktionaries' associated to wikipedia?
    There is an android port for offline wikipedias (and dicts) but its startup is painfully long (specially when using various languages) and, well, it's an android port, isn't it?
  11. Bungalow_Bill's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    143 Posts
    #11  

    Default

    Which English spellings does the app use? American, British, Canadian? (Big points for the last one.)
  12. cjterminator's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    749 Posts
    #12  

    Default

    Great start guys, looking for more in the next updates.
    Thanked by:
    XLabz (01-27-2013) 
  13. XLabz's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    420 Posts
    Global Posts
    429 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spencerdl View Post
    Just downloaded and I like the app, but are there any plans to have LANDSCAPE mode added. I use a OEM keyboard plus I'm in landscape 95% of the time.
    Hi! As of now, we don't have plans to add landscape mode. But we might consider adding this feature depending on the number of user requests for this.
    Check out our other apps for BlackBerry PlayBook and BlackBerry 10 here.

    For the latest news, updates, deals and giveaways, follow us on Twitter & Facebook.

    www.xlabz.com
  14. XLabz's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    420 Posts
    Global Posts
    429 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bungalow_Bill View Post
    Which English spellings does the app use? American, British, Canadian? (Big points for the last one.)
    Hi! Dictionary+ uses both the British & American spellings. The alternate spellings appear as synonyms for a particular word.
    Check out our other apps for BlackBerry PlayBook and BlackBerry 10 here.

    For the latest news, updates, deals and giveaways, follow us on Twitter & Facebook.

    www.xlabz.com
  15. 416to604's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    590 Posts
    #15  

    Default

    Hi xlabz, just purchased this app for my playbook. Will it have the same app ID as the BB10 app? Will I have to re-purchase when the new phones are released?
    Z10 - Playbook 32GB
  16. XLabz's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    420 Posts
    Global Posts
    429 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 416to604 View Post
    Hi xlabz, just purchased this app for my playbook. Will it have the same app ID as the BB10 app? Will I have to re-purchase when the new phones are released?
    Yes, it will have the same app ID as the BB10app. However, you will need to repurchase the app (as well as all our other BB10 apps) if you want them for your BB10 phone. BB10 apps need to be developed from scratch when it comes to the UI and hence we can't support development without having customers pay for the BB10 version.
    Check out our other apps for BlackBerry PlayBook and BlackBerry 10 here.

    For the latest news, updates, deals and giveaways, follow us on Twitter & Facebook.

    www.xlabz.com
  17. XLabz's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    420 Posts
    Global Posts
    429 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #17  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Herve5 View Post
    While this is an english-only dictionary for now, do you have plans to enlarge this, through using for instance the 'wiktionaries' associated to wikipedia?
    There is an android port for offline wikipedias (and dicts) but its startup is painfully long (specially when using various languages) and, well, it's an android port, isn't it?
    It's too early to comment on this but yes, if the app does very well we might support other languages and wikitionaries. No, this is not a Android port and has been developed ground up as a native app for BB10 and PB.
    Check out our other apps for BlackBerry PlayBook and BlackBerry 10 here.

    For the latest news, updates, deals and giveaways, follow us on Twitter & Facebook.

    www.xlabz.com
    Thanked by:
    Herve5 (01-28-2013) 
    Herve5 likes this.
  18. spencerdl's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    8,876 Posts
    Global Posts
    14,849 Global Posts
    #18  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by XLabz View Post
    Hi! As of now, we don't have plans to add landscape mode. But we might consider adding this feature depending on the number of user requests for this.
    I think it would be a GOOD idea to inform consumers that this app only supports "portrait" mode for now. I do believe this is an important factor considering the PlayBook is set up more for landscape mode primarly and portrait as secondary.
  19. jamesharmeling's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,056 Posts
    PIN
    333BF5D4
    #19  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spencerdl View Post
    I think it would be a GOOD idea to inform consumers that this app only supports "portrait" mode for now. I do believe this is an important factor considering the PlayBook is set up more for landscape mode primarly and portrait as secondary.
    +1! This is a great dictionary and the best I've found so far, but it's the only app I use in portrait mode....only because I have to. As has been mentioned before, for those of us with a PB keyboard, it makes it almost useless. You stated that if you get enough support, you would look into adding landscape mode, but for a lot of people it's a deal breaker and all the support that you could be getting, you won't get. Please just invest in adding landscape and they will come!
    Thanked by 2:
    spencerdl (01-28-2013),  Zyzomys (01-29-2013) 
    F2 and spencerdl like this.
  20. spencerdl's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    8,876 Posts
    Global Posts
    14,849 Global Posts
    #20  

    Default

    Question; is it harder to make this app in landscape vs portrait. IMO.....it would probably get more support with a landscape mode added not the other way around
    jamesharmeling likes this.
  21. Majestic Lion's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    585 Posts
    #21  

    Default

    I have to say, this looks impressive. Nice work!

    EDIT: And yes, landscape mode for this is pretty much a no-brainer. I hope to see it in an update.
    Thanked by:
    XLabz (01-28-2013) 
  22. cjterminator's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    749 Posts
    #22  

    Default

    After using it for few days now, I also feel that landscape mode will really add to its utility on PB. So looking forward to it in next update.
  23. mpg23's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    16 Posts
    #23  

    Default Re: Dictionary+ : English Dictionary & Thesaurus for BlackBerry PlayBook

    I purchased D+ from app world yesterday. It does not work on my playbook. It opens OK, but I cannot get it to complete a search. I'm using basic english words but the area where the retrieved definitions should be remains empty. So I deleted it using app world, thinking maybe a corrupted download, and now it doesn't show up in the uninstalled app list. Before I uninstalled it, I looked at the app permissions and it wasn't there. So what's going on?
  24. #24  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mpg23 View Post
    I purchased D+ from app world yesterday. It does not work on my playbook. It opens OK, but I cannot get it to complete a search. I'm using basic english words but the area where the retrieved definitions should be remains empty. So I deleted it using app world, thinking maybe a corrupted download, and now it doesn't show up in the uninstalled app list. Before I uninstalled it, I looked at the app permissions and it wasn't there. So what's going on?
    Try downloading it again. It might start out saying you are purchasing but generally appworld catches that and says you've purchased and you can download again.

    Any problems with getting it:

    appworldbilling@rim.com
  25. BelieverX's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    13 Posts
    #25  

    Default

    Dictionary+ is a really good app...the best dictionary app I've used on the Playbook.

    So far I've purchased: GroovyNotes, A Day in Life, Currency Converter HD (actually I got this one for free), and Dictionary+. Keep up the good work, and I'll continue to be a regular customer.
    Thanked by:
    XLabz (02-18-2013) 
    XLabz likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Capacitive stylus for blackberry playbook
    By espresso1967 in forum BlackBerry PlayBook
    Replies: 87
    Last Post: 01-31-2012, 08:50 AM
  2. DrawBook for BlackBerry PlayBook
    By Tjitte in forum PlayBook Apps & Games
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-18-2011, 01:57 PM
  3. Flashlight App for BlackBerry PlayBook
    By mertreload in forum PlayBook Apps & Games
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-19-2011, 12:26 PM
  4. leetcalc for BlackBerry PlayBook
    By mertreload in forum PlayBook Apps & Games
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-18-2011, 02:14 PM
  5. RIM Announces Retail Channels for BlackBerry PlayBook
    By espresso1967 in forum BlackBerry PlayBook
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 03-22-2011, 01:39 PM

Posting Permissions