I'm going with my standard suggestion which Rim or a talented programmer may use. I've made this suggestion in a few other places where this topic comes up.

Editing text is not very easy. Praying I hit the "sweet spot" for editing is a drag (no pun intended). Particularly in fields (browser address bar) where you cannot pinch/zoom to increase the size. Finger tap, too far left, finger tap, too far right, oh, too far left again. Up a line.....

Another keyboard swipe from the lower right on a diagonal - open a cursor keypad with left/right/up/down, pageup/down/home/end.

Okay, Shao, shoot my idea down, too!
    05-17-11 10:23 PM
    Okay, Shao, shoot my idea down, too!
    Ok here we go!

But just to elaborate as to why... The development tools available publicly to developers are limiting in many ways as far as OS integration. Each apps gets their own "sandbox" per say, meaning it can operate and do things within its own space but cannot interact with other applications.
    05-18-11 07:35 AM
    "How I love the bomb....."

Thanks for the elaboration. Now the next question: Is this a current limitation due to the existing, limited tools. Will THE FUTURE KIT allow this in the future? I mean we have tools for the BB phones like Shortcutme which even now has macros to interact with other apps. I have to hope that rim did not completely and permanently wall everything off????

And, again, Thanks, did not want to put _YOU_ on the spot but you did reply to that other app-wish thread saying something was not possible. So you obviously know a bit more of the in's and out's of the entrails of this device.
    05-18-11 08:06 AM
    yea what happened to these so-called superapps that communicate with each other?
    05-18-11 09:08 AM
    from what I understand you would be able to do this with the native SDK. What you can do now is to make a browser app that has a built-in touchpad, but I don't think you can do any more.
    05-18-11 09:15 AM
    so none of the current tools can launch the media player for example?
    05-18-11 09:41 AM
    i believe that should be a request to Rim, as to add an additional key, lets say "cur" as is on the symbols key "sym" ,so users have an option to tap "cur" and use the cursors key to navigate through text, keys needed would be, arrows left right up down, page up down, home end, and shift visible also so we can select text for formatting. ie. tap shift and hold then move with arrow to select text then hit the bold or color or any option button on the wysiwyg editor to format that text. Remember the current hold until select shows is only for copy paste and not as a select tool, you can not select that way and format.
    Last edited by jhirizarry; 05-19-11 at 02:38 AM.
    05-19-11 02:35 AM
    "How I love the bomb....."

Thanks for the elaboration. Now the next question: Is this a current limitation due to the existing, limited tools. Will THE FUTURE KIT allow this in the future? I mean we have tools for the BB phones like Shortcutme which even now has macros to interact with other apps. I have to hope that rim did not completely and permanently wall everything off????
    Well the answer now is probably. If QNX is going to the future of phones, then these will need to be opened up eventually. When the BB App player is released access will need to be opened or many many of the apps won't run. So it just seems logical that eventually "super apps" will be possible, the real question is just when....

For the poster asking about launching the media player, an app can launch the default application associated with a file, so you could launch the media player that way, but once it's launched you have no control over it. You can embed a media player within your own application though however but you'd have to create the interface yourself.
    05-19-11 07:43 AM
    Thanks, Shao (hope you don't mind shortening your name!)
    05-19-11 08:32 AM
    Ok here we go!
    [ Each apps gets their own "sandbox" per say, meaning it can operate and do things within its own space but cannot interact with other applications.
    I'm assuming this is to prevent applications from conflicting with one another?
    05-19-11 08:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD