Just received an email from Cooklet which says that their app has been downloaded 600,000 times and that in 2 days they are launching the new version which took 9 months to develop. It will have an emphasis on being social.

Will launch exclusively to playbook this week with an introductory price of 1.99 and available on other platforms later.

Good news!
    Rad_Book and giorgio99 like this.
    11-13-12 08:10 PM
    Hope they have a trial version. I use this free app. Especially like the multi timers. I wonder if the old version will stay around.
    giorgio99 likes this.
    11-14-12 09:01 AM
    Hello Cooklet fans
    The current app will be changed into paid one, but all the users of 'old Cooklet' will still be able to use the free version.

We put a lot of time, thought and listened carefully what you enjoyed the most in the current app so I believe you should like the new one even more As stated in the email - we faced some difficult decission about Cooklet's future and of many different options (ads, in-app purchases, sponsoring...) we decided to make it paid, though it's only $1.99. So if you'd like to support Cooklet's future that is the best way and in the same time you'll find it worth spending even 4.99 on it

Just a litte sneak peek before the launch https://twitter.com/i/#!/CookletApp/...com%2FlWRnJwDc

More info tomorrow, cheers!
    g
    11-14-12 08:16 PM
    Hope they have a trial version. I use this free app. Especially like the multi timers. I wonder if the old version will stay around.
    This may be another example of why we need selective backup and restore for INDIVIDUAL apps. If the freebie goes away and you lose or update your pb, you might not have access to the free version.
    bungaboy likes this.
    11-14-12 09:00 PM
    I think it would have been better to leave the free version as free even call it 'Cooklet Free' so that people could stay on that version or even reinstall if necessary, and have Cooklet as a separate paid version.
    FF22 likes this.
    11-15-12 03:25 AM
    Cooklet Update - Playbook Exclusive (for a month)-fb_cover_blank_newcooklet_launch01_03.jpg

We went over a few different options and it's better to stay with one sku, one app in the market. As for the free version we would have to install some ads there so that we can sustain this model but the user experience would not be so sweet I believe it's not such a bad deal for 1.99 ;D it took us many months to design & develop it and to secure our future that is what had to be done. Hope you understand and that you'd like to see Cooklet grow and become more nad more popular. All the best!
    Greg
    BB_Bmore likes this.
    11-15-12 10:46 AM
    One suggestion for the app. In the old version you could still access the app offline to use the tools etc but in this latest version you cannot gain access to the app at all unless you are online. This is kind of a big deal for me as I sometimes use the timers or unit converters while being offline.

Another thing this new version is absolutely awesome and for the cheapskates moaning that they will delete than go ahead and save your 2 dollars and miss out on one extraordinary cooking app. This new version does it all and does it very well. Its a lot more social now and finding /sharing recipes is easy as can be.

So if you liked the app before ,you will LOVE it now. Within a minute of using it you can tell that the devs put a ton of hard work into it. I see this app becoming huge because of how socially connected it is now. IF you dont want to spend the 2 bucks for the upgrade it really is your loss
    giorgio99 likes this.
    11-17-12 11:43 AM
    I was prompted to upgrade and I was told I needed to pay. I ended up deleting the app.
    11-17-12 01:14 PM
    One suggestion for the app. In the old version you could still access the app offline to use the tools etc but in this latest version you cannot gain access to the app at all unless you are online. This is kind of a big deal for me as I sometimes use the timers or unit converters while being offline.

Another thing this new version is absolutely awesome and for the cheapskates moaning that they will delete than go ahead and save your 2 dollars and miss out on one extraordinary cooking app. This new version does it all and does it very well. Its a lot more social now and finding /sharing recipes is easy as can be.

So if you liked the app before ,you will LOVE it now. Within a minute of using it you can tell that the devs put a ton of hard work into it. I see this app becoming huge because of how socially connected it is now. IF you dont want to spend the 2 bucks for the upgrade it really is your loss
    Thanks!!!!!!!

we'll figure it out with the offline mode. As you've seen it's really social/connected therefore being online with it is so important, but we'll think about i t and will try to squeeze it somewhere in the pipeline

Again many thanks and enjoy!
    g
    BB_Bmore likes this.
    11-17-12 01:29 PM

What if you don't use Facebook or Twitter? Okay, I barely use Twitter - for Traffic reports. NO facebook!
    11-17-12 01:32 PM
    F2 the cooklet app itself is a social network. Your gonna be able to share recipes with other cooklet users and it is not tied into Facebook or Twitter. You simply create a cooklet account and your connected with the rest of the cooklet community.
    giorgio99 likes this.
    11-17-12 01:52 PM
    F2 the cooklet app itself is a social network. Your gonna be able to share recipes with other cooklet users and it is not tied into Facebook or Twitter. You simply create a cooklet account and your connected with the rest of the cooklet community.
    Sharing recipes is the perfect case for social media. Here is my $1.99 =)
    11-17-12 02:05 PM
    will be spending $4 - for my PB and my GF's PB so we can both get some great PBJ receipes . . .
    giorgio99 likes this.
    11-17-12 03:24 PM