Does anyone know if there is an app for the Playbook that could be used to help with eye care? For example, I'm thinking of an app that would allow the user to enter their prescription information in; along with the brand of solution they use; and the dates that they put in new contacts and the date they last changed their contact case. The app would then keep track of this information and depending on when you have to change your contacts, i.e., every 30 days, or change your contact lens case, i.e., every 3 months, send you a notification via the notification system (the thing in the upper left hand corner of the Playbook) when its time to change these items.

If there isn't one, it might be a good/useful tool for the Playbook/BB10.
    PowderJockey and Cesare21 like this.
    11-26-12 03:19 PM
    That's actually a greay idea...considering I never remember when I last put a new pair in.
    11-26-12 03:37 PM
    I don't wear contacts but that does sound like a very good idea for an App.. Doesn't sound like it would be overly difficult but then again I have no programing skills....
    11-26-12 03:51 PM
    Not to be a party pooper, but couldn't you just set recurring appointments on your calendar for each event and you'll get a notification on those dates?
    DocDRM likes this.
    11-26-12 03:59 PM
    Beat me to it. Recurring appt on calendar, or as a recurring task even better (that's how I have my HVAC filter changes set up).
    11-26-12 04:22 PM
    That's how I currently do it - set up as a recurring calendar notice. I just thought that it might be handy to have a single app that contained all of your eye care information in one place.
    11-26-12 04:24 PM
    That's how I currently do it - set up as a recurring calendar notice. I just thought that it might be handy to have a single app that contained all of your eye care information in one place.
    Being an optometrist, I'm sincerely interested in the idea and it's premise. I will run this by a relative and get his input on this.
    11-26-12 05:18 PM
    The app idea on an advertising model vs paid model could have some legs.. You could sell advertising to eye care products and companies through the app. May not be a yacht buying winner but might be a little side money maker. I'll throw it past a couple developers to see it's easily doable..
    11-27-12 03:36 PM
    The only issue I currently see for this is the fact that you would have to have to app running all the time for those notifications to happen. Unfortunately the way things are currently if the app is shut down, then there would be no background process for monitoring and notifying you. Also seems to be this way on the dev units currents as well with the bb10 dev, even with BBM
    11-27-12 03:52 PM
    The only issue I currently see for this is the fact that you would have to have to app running all the time for those notifications to happen. Unfortunately the way things are currently if the app is shut down, then there would be no background process for monitoring and notifying you. Also seems to be this way on the dev units currents as well with the bb10 dev, even with BBM
    You mean BBM always has to be open in an active frame to be able to rcv messages?
    11-27-12 04:09 PM
    You mean BBM always has to be open in an active frame to be able to rcv messages?
    Actually I may be wrong about that with BBM on my Dev Device, Looks like BBM is actually having some issues maintaining a connection. Though I did notice Google Talk did notify me that I got a message even though I did not have it loaded as an active frame, so I'm going to say I'm wrong about BB10 not having the ability to do background notifications. Though I still have not seen anything like that work on the Playbook.

I like this idea and doesn't seem to be too hard to do. Will take a look at throwing something together on the weekend. Though it would only be for BB10 (Will see if it can be made backwards compatible, but at this time probably not due to the lack of background notifications.)
    11-28-12 11:58 AM
    I like this idea and doesn't seem to be too hard to do. Will take a look at throwing something together on the weekend. Though it would only be for BB10 (Will see if it can be made backwards compatible, but at this time probably not due to the lack of background notifications.)
    Is it possible to use the calender for the background service that will be needed? I'm very much interested in such an app so please let me know.
    11-28-12 12:14 PM
    Is it possible to use the calender for the background service that will be needed? I'm very much interested in such an app so please let me know.
    This would be very easy, especially with Cascades. You can pull in a "card" from the Calendar to do just that. Plus background notifications, etc.
    11-29-12 07:50 AM
    This would be very easy, especially with Cascades. You can pull in a "card" from the Calendar to do just that. Plus background notifications, etc.
    I'm not conversant with Cascades, but would that mean it will also run on Android?
    11-30-12 10:04 AM