does anyone know of a CAS app for playbook... I've seen a couple on android and ipad and I know you can use wolframm alpha online but i wanted to see if there was a proper app there.
    09-04-11 01:21 AM
    Haven't heard of any for the PlayBook and I work with a couple very often on my laptop so one for the PlayBook would be quite nice
    09-04-11 06:44 AM
    Yeah, I use wolframm Mathematica on My PC and have a Texas Voyage 200.. was wondering if something similar to that was available out there... I know there are some Voyage 200/Ti-89 Titanium Emulators for PC... would be great to have one for PB.
    09-04-11 01:36 PM
    would be great to have one for PB.
    Indeed it would. Hopefully in the near future we will see some
    09-04-11 01:47 PM
    Yeah, I use wolframm Mathematica on My PC and have a Texas Voyage 200.. was wondering if something similar to that was available out there... I know there are some Voyage 200/Ti-89 Titanium Emulators for PC... would be great to have one for PB.
    Hey I know this is an old thread but it just hit me. We could use WolframAlpha on our PlayBooks through our browsers. We would of course have to be connected to the internet.

I know it's not a CAS but at least it would be slightly reminiscent of one.

--Bounce
    11-02-11 11:41 AM
    Unfortunately there wasn't one. Here's one based on mathomatic. Try it!

type: (x+5)(x+3) ENTER, then ufactor ENTER.

It's not very pretty, but I hope it's better than nothing.

If you don't see the keyboard, you can swipe from the bottom left corner to the center of the screen.
    Attached Files
    Herve5 likes this.
    01-15-13 07:38 PM
    Thanks Hugo!
    Being at work and not overefficient in sideloading, I'll have to wait a bit before trying it but definitely I'll run it this week-end!
    Thanks again,
    H.
    P. S. do you support copy/pasting?

[edit] OK, I installed it during lunchtime. Sounds very interesting. Too bad the output appears behind the keyboard (maybe allowing a portrait screen option would solve this simply?)
    Could you tell me where the read/writes are pointing by default in the Playbook filestructure? I tried to load the examples in the 'tests' folder, but apparently just indicating tests/xxx.in is not enough...
    Last edited by Herve5; 01-16-13 at 07:54 AM.
    01-16-13 02:48 AM
    The only TI Voyage 200 emulator that I can see is TiEmu (Welcome to the TiEmu web site) which I have looked at porting. I can get the backend libraries to compile but since the UI was written for GTK there is a lot of work to be done rewriting the front end. If there was enough interest I might look at it again but right now that is a dead project. If you know of other emulators (specifically ones written to use the SDL library) I would be willing to look at them as well.

Could you tell me where the read/writes are pointing by default in the Playbook filestructure? I tried to load the examples in the 'tests' folder, but apparently just indicating tests/xxx.in is not enough...
    I haven't got time right now to install the app to test this but try shared/tests/xxx.in. The default folder location that you are allowed to modify is shared/. If that doesn't work try /accounts/1000/shared/tests/xxx.in.
    01-17-13 12:24 AM
    I haven't got time right now to install the app to test this but try shared/tests/xxx.in. The default folder location that you are allowed to modify is shared/. If that doesn't work try /accounts/1000/shared/tests/xxx.in.
    Thank you for this quick reaction!
    Alas, my issue is exactly this: no short or long path works. I even considered maybe I shouldn't have created a /Mathomatic/ subfolder and raised the demo.in doc straight in shared/documents (I understand I can only create folders in /shared, no single docs?) but this didn't work either. Tried all sorts of path namings up to /accounts/1000/shared etc.
    Maybe I somehow failed the install, but there I'll definitely need to wait this WE...
    Last edited by Herve5; 01-18-13 at 07:51 AM.
    01-17-13 03:47 AM
    Please find the attached.

The Mathomatic Algebra System was the easiest one to get running on the playbook. The source code is included for anyone who wants to improve the usability of this, and maybe get an improved version into Blackberry World. There is a portrait mode, and output is limited to 11 lines so you can see what's being typed.

Thanks
    Attached Files
    SifJar and Herve5 like this.
    04-20-13 10:46 AM
    Please find the attached.

The Mathomatic Algebra System was the easiest one to get running on the playbook. The source code is included for anyone who wants to improve the usability of this, and maybe get an improved version into Blackberry World. There is a portrait mode, and output is limited to 11 lines so you can see what's being typed.

Thanks
    Seems quite nice. Could come in handy, thanks.

EDIT: Any way to get trigonometric functions to work? Any time I try, it says to "try using rmath".
    04-20-13 11:36 AM
    if it works on the windows version it should work here.
    Disappointingly this algebra system doesn't have can't factor simple things like x^2+5x+25 either.

Sorry I can't be any more help.
    04-20-13 07:15 PM
    Dear all,

I think, Gnu Octave could be a possible solution.

I did not tested the installation yet but I have just converted the apk file to bar.
    If you want to test it, let me know.
    I will test it asap.

BR
    04-25-13 06:39 AM
    The Android version of Octave will definately not work. It's all native code. If anyone has the time you try to cross-compile the octave source (found here) and the abandoned QtOctave project for the front end (found here). This might be a possibile way to get octave on the Playbook but would probably not be a small project. I'm not sure how functional it would be as the UI was designed for a desktop, QtGrace is limited in what it can do because you are missing the ability to right click.
    04-25-13 09:00 PM
    Thank you Hugo!
    Thanks to you maybe the first tablet with a formal math app on it won't be one of the duopoly!
    04-26-13 11:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD