Hi,

I downloaded a comic this weekend (yeah, I know that's a bad thing and I deserve what happens). I read the cover and the first 2 pages. When I tried to go to page 3, it looked like it was doing nothing, but I slid down the menu and could see the page numbers counting up. It was at page 15 before I just cancelled out and read it on my computer instead.

Gina
    This can happen if one of the pages of your comic book is corrupt and Comics is unable to read it. Comics will search for the first readable page, which may look like his skipping pages (and he actually does). I suggest you check your comic book and perhaps unrar it and zip it as a .cbz or vice versa.
    04-25-12 03:05 AM
    Any updates/teasers/updates about updates coming down the pipe soon?
    Within a few days, a new release of Comics will be published. This is a minor update containing several bugfixes for reported problems. An overview of the fixes:
    • Comics with a landscape cover will show up correctly in library view
    • Comics with the same name got the same cover which is fixed now
    • A back button is added in the menu bar of the library
    • A fit to height zoom mode is added in portrait mode
    PanaSama, Wolfgan, cafemag and 2 others like this.
    04-25-12 03:10 AM
    Good stuff. I hope the fit to height feature comes with the options to stick the pages to the left (for western comics) or to the right (for manga).
    04-25-12 03:39 AM
    Just updated to 1.7.5. It's great that the app finally comes with the fit to height option, but I wish it comes with the option to either start viewing the images from the left or right side. Currently it defaults at left side of the image, which is great for western comics since they read left to right, but mangas are read right to left, and having to first swipe right to the start of the page and left again is kind of annoying.

Also, it would be nice to have the option to disable swiping to move a page forward/back (thus relying on the option to double tap corners to move forward/back.) Most of the time while in fit to page mode, I accidentally jumped to the next page/last page while swiping... and I didn't want to jump to the next page, all I want to do is see the left/right side of the image.
    04-26-12 05:37 AM
    Just updated to 1.7.5. It's great that the app finally comes with the fit to height option, but I wish it comes with the option to either start viewing the images from the left or right side. Currently it defaults at left side of the image, which is great for western comics since they read left to right, but mangas are read right to left, and having to first swipe right to the start of the page and left again is kind of annoying.

Also, it would be nice to have the option to disable swiping to move a page forward/back (thus relying on the option to double tap corners to move forward/back.) Most of the time while in fit to page mode, I accidentally jumped to the next page/last page while swiping... and I didn't want to jump to the next page, all I want to do is see the left/right side of the image.

+1 : Option to disable swipping to move a page.....
    04-26-12 08:01 AM

This are definitely two things to consider and will be included in one of the next updates. Thanks for the feedback!
    05-01-12 02:39 AM
    I am enjoying this great app, it makes my PlayBook a super comic book reader!

In a future update I would very much appreciate a natural wood color to the Comic Books Library wall, as it was a few updates ago.

Keep up the great work!
    05-09-12 12:53 PM
    Hi,

I do dislike complaining all the time,... But the app has a different idea of "next comic" than I do. My idea is the next one on the shelf, alphabetically. Its idea is likely the next one in the directory structure or by date or some other criteria other than what I'd like to read next. I copied an 8 part series onto the PlayBook and when I tapped 'next comic', it took me from part 1 to part 4 even though they are shown sequentually.

Gina
    05-14-12 05:52 AM
    WIll there be an update for this? Please don't make me use a sideloaded APK.
    05-17-12 07:46 AM
    hello guys I just tested Comics app on my Playbook and I found that applications cant display cbr files bigger than 20 GB but I found workaround with program called ComickRack .

So to read bigger comics than 20 MB on your Playbook you need to do this.

Download, Install and Open Comic Rack.

Than once you start it go to directory where you have your comics . Select comics you want than right click on them and click on Export Books, than again on Export Books.

After that I select under File Format to be Ecomic .zip *.cbz , Compression: Strong
    Under Page Format select JPEG, Preserve Original than hit OK.

After that Comic Rack will convert your *.cbr comics to *.cbz format which will fully work on Comics application on Blackberry Playbook no matter how big file is!

You can contact me if you have any other problems but everything works fine now to me!
    06-12-12 09:56 AM
    Hi,

thanks for the tip. We are rewriting a big part of the code in C. This will increase the performance and compatibility.

Best regards
    PanaSama likes this.
    06-14-12 01:52 AM
    Hey guys, I found a new quirk today. I had a cbz file that had a set of JPEG files, but when loaded on the PB, it only showed one of the pages. I looked in the file and couldn't see anything wrong (even the ComicInfo.xml file was correct) until I realized that the image that was displayed had a filetype of ".jpg" and the ones that wouldn't had a filetype of ".jpeg". Once I renamed the files to ".jpg", then everything was good. Just wanted to pass this along in case you can add ".jpeg" file recognition in the next release. I expect it's a rare case, but it'll potentially save people the trouble of figuring out why their file (or pages) won't show up in the app.
    07-07-12 09:37 PM
    Hi everybody,

my name is Bram Vandewalle and I am a student developer who just got started developing applications for RIM's PlayBook. My first two applications are Mindmaps and Comics. Today I would like to take a moment of your time to present you Comics, the very first comic book reader for the BlackBerry PlayBook.

Description:

Your shiny BlackBerry� PlayBook� is the perfect device for reading comic books and now you can. Comics is a comic reader specifically designed for the PlayBook.

Start reading your comics everywhere and download the Comics application. It will allow you to escape reality wherever, whenever and even save the page your at if you have to run from that other dimension.

Features:

�Opens all .CBZ, .CBR and .ZIP comic books
    �Stores your current page if you close the application
    �Works both in landscape and portrait, so hold it the way you like
    �Different view modes to read the way you want to
    �Easily find and open your comic book files
    �Nice looking library
    �Swipe through your pages
    �Pinch-to-zoom

Links:

App World - FAQ

I welcome you all to give as much feedback as possible if you decide to try out my app. I realise that gesture support is a pressing need, but I am waiting on RIM to ship my developer device. I am currently working on adding CBR support and looking to setup a server to download free comics on your device using my app.

Hey again!

Yesterday i bought ur app and im having a little problem...

It doesnt open some of cbr files in the folder, but they do function on my friends Ipad. Bad luck, since the next 3 books i was about to read didnt work ^^

So if the files are ok, maybe its an app problem, right?

Can i do something without a Wifi connection or a pc connection since im not at home and i would like to read the comics on its way?

Tks
    07-19-12 09:03 AM
    Hi,

I just answered in the other topic, but I'll quote it here to keep everything centralised.

Hi,

first of all sorry for the delay. I have to admit that I spent too little time on CrackBerry nowadays.

Secondly we are still working on 100% compatibility. The RAR format is a proprietary format with very little documentation, which is certainly not helping. Our current plugin was written in Adobe AIR, but the performance is suboptimal for larger files, that's why we decided to rewrite it using a native extension. It is however a quite complex process and it is taking way more time than expected.

In short: yes, we are aware that not all CBR files can be read, but we are working towards a solution (although more slowly than expected to be honest).
    07-19-12 09:10 AM
    I use your app all the time, and I love it
    07-19-12 07:27 PM
    I got around the problem by(edited here lol grammar mistake) reading the comics that wouldnt open in the PB at home, because,even if they are in a row, are only like 3 at once, then one opens, and then 3 more arent ok.

After that, theres like 20 that i can read with no problem, so till then maybe u'll have it fixed

I take my time reading eheh

Pedro

Sent from a beautiful but old BB 8520 or a new and shinny PB 2.0
    Last edited by PedroBorgas; 07-21-12 at 02:27 PM.
    07-20-12 05:37 AM
    "This can happen if one of the pages of your comic book is corrupt and Comics is unable to read it. Comics will search for the first readable page, which may look like his skipping pages (and he actually does). I suggest you check your comic book and perhaps unrar it and zip it as a .cbz or vice versa. "

Hi there,

I've been running into the problem of skipping pages on Comics as well, but I don't think it's because the pages are corrupt. Here's what's been happening to me:
    1. I open Comics.
    2. I double-tap to load a comic to read.
    3. I read through 2-6 pages.
    4. I flip to the next page, only the page doesn't load.
    5. I look at the page number and see it counting up: "16... 17..."
    6. On the latest comic, it skipped up to page 23.
    7. I shut down Comics and let the Playbook sit for the work day.
    8. After work, I reload everything and the comic will load to the last loaded page.
    9. If I hit back, it loads the previous page (goes from page 23 to 22) and loads fine.
    10. I can scroll back (using the back interface) to the original page and every page loads fine.
    11. If I go back to the page where everything went wrong in the first place and try to read through again, it'll skip all the pages and head back to page 23.

Thoughts?
    12-12-12 02:17 PM
    Hi guys,

it's been a while but Comics is still getting our attention. Comics 1.8.0 is due to be released soon (once BB gets through the queue of BB10 apps). It is a major bugfix release concerning bugs with the page navigation and database layout. As always we welcome your feedback.

I have received the request to bring Comcis to BB10 a few times already, but I have to say: Comics won't be released on BB10. Howver: we have started from scratch with a native BB10 app we call Comici. It doesn't have CBR compatibility at the moment, but rest assured CBR support will arrive
    Wolfgan likes this.
    02-28-13 01:56 AM
    Hi, I updated the app to 1.8.0 and it would crashed after scanning for my comics. Just stays at an empty screen.
    04-09-13 02:47 AM
    Similar problem as ad396, except mine seems to freeze during the scan and somehow deletes all my files.

Ended up with nothing left on my Playbook except the directory structure and the comics.log file.

Any idea what would cause this?
    04-09-13 05:39 AM
    Got the update and had to rescan, lost all my bookmarks for read or currently reading comics.
    04-09-13 05:49 AM
    Could everybody who is having troubles mail his log file to support @ endare . eu?
    04-09-13 06:02 AM
    The update obliterated all the files in my downloads directory as well. So others are having this issue as well.
    04-09-13 06:53 AM
    The update obliterated all the files in my downloads directory as well. So others are having this issue as well.
    Mine didn't just wipe out the downloads directory. It cleared the directory structure altogether. Like it deleted everything it came across while it was looking for comics.

Very surprised that the app was able to do this, tbh.

Edit: Sent in my log, but it looks like any data was wiped out with the destructive scan so it just has the empty directory scan from when I re-opened it.

@glamrlama - Check under misc
    Last edited by morlock_man; 04-09-13 at 07:11 AM.
    04-09-13 06:59 AM
    Where do I find the logs you need?
    04-09-13 07:00 AM
600 ... 1920212223 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD