Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By TBone4eva
  • 1 Post By DD1968
  • 1 Post By edyb
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Comic Book Reader..cbr files at last

jjComics Viewer for Playbook is an android app located at goodereader.com for playbook. jjComics supports cbr, cbz, rar,zip, jpg, gif, png, bmp file formats. The others i have read in the forums support all except the cbr format. This format is what I needed for my files and it works fantastic.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by Hiylow View Post
    jjComics Viewer for Playbook is an android app located at goodereader.com for playbook. jjComics supports cbr, cbz, rar,zip, jpg, gif, png, bmp file formats. The others i have read in the forums support all except the cbr format. This format is what I needed for my files and it works fantastic.
    I have NO issues reading my CBR comics using the native app COMICS from zezke.
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by RicThot View Post
    I have NO issues reading my CBR comics using the native app COMICS from zezke.
    Me neither.
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

There is a native app? Whatya know. I have to check this out.
    Edit: Just checked it out on AppWorld and you are correct., but you did not state it was $2.99. jjcomics is free though.
    Last edited by Hiylow; 03-09-2012 at 03:28 PM.
    CrackBerry Addict

This is great, please let us know when jjcomics is written for the PB.
    CrackBerry Addict

Given the choice, I think it is better to support a native app. Nothing wrong with sideloading, but we need to make sure we support developers who take the time to create native apps.
    evil and DD1968 like this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Quote Originally Posted by TBone4eva View Post
    Given the choice, I think it is better to support a native app. Nothing wrong with sideloading, but we need to make sure we support developers who take the time to create native apps.
    Exactly. And the dev is constantly taking feedback from users on the forum and updating the app... Spend the money, price of a couple of comics.
    Hawkeberry likes this.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    761 Global Posts

Speaking of a NATIVE app for reading comics on Playbook, and FREE too.... I stumbled across "ColourComics".

It loads up CBZ files no problem, which are just CBR files which have been extracted and then recompressed to ZIP format instead of RAR, and renamed to CBZ. The CBZ files have to be placed in the /books/ folder of the Playbook otherwise they won't show up in the app's file listing. Unfortunately the documentation is nowhere to be found, but I learned this by reading the description of the app in Appworld.

I successfully converted a bunch of CBR files over to CBZ no problem, and also compiled my own CBZ comics by naming files sequentially and ZIPPING and then changing extension to CBZ. I find more and more useful things to do with my Playbook everyday!!!! :-)

The app is quick and native and works well. Check it out.

Go RIM Go!
    Last edited by edyb; 09-14-2012 at 10:11 PM. Reason: updated to state it is a Native app
    Thanked by:
    pneumo57 (11-11-2012) 
    pneumo57 likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    200 Global Posts

I just started reading comics on my Playbook. Not knowing if I would like it I sideloaded jjViewer and it's great! Anyone looking for a pretty good comic reader that is free, give jj a try.

I'll have to check out COMICS. I'm getting more serious about my digital comics and would love to support a native app!
    I choose to look at the glass half full instead of empty.

My opinions are my own. I'm just a guy in a chair with no real position of authority
    CrackBerry User

Actually I don't know much about this
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by breakingpoint0 View Post
    I just started reading comics on my Playbook. Not knowing if I would like it I sideloaded jjViewer and it's great! Anyone looking for a pretty good comic reader that is free, give jj a try.

I'll have to check out COMICS. I'm getting more serious about my digital comics and would love to support a native app!
    is there a reading process bar in the jj reader?

The native comic reader have to turn the pages one by one ,can't jump to a centern page. it's killing me.
    CrackBerry Master

I have to say that only "Comics"(the paid native one) worked for me.

All of the others free and sideloadable ones didnt work or didnt fully worked.

But our native has a problem too:

- Doesnt read all cbr files, but the devs are on it(i made sure )

But we have Comic Rack to convert the files anw,right?

Sent from a old but beautiful BB 8520 or a new and shinny PB 2.0
    Im sexy and i know it! ("Music? What music?")
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    200 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by qwang View Post
    is there a reading process bar in the jj reader?

The native comic reader have to turn the pages one by one ,can't jump to a centern page. it's killing me.
    It has the option to go to a specific page by Page number. There is no slider to see a preview of the pages and stop there that I have found though.

There are options to display what page your on and what you are currently reading on the screen. It also has the neat ability to display by half page, which is useful if your comics are the full spread.

I hope that answered your question!
    I choose to look at the glass half full instead of empty.

My opinions are my own. I'm just a guy in a chair with no real position of authority