All I can say is that VNC is just above my level. I've tried it, and to put it simply all it did was frustrate me. I'm no good at all with configuring routers and port forwarding, and have had nothing but terrible experiences with them in the past. I don't wish for a solution to that though. I don't wish to deal with routers period.

I'm trying to set up a very easy and quick way that does not involve mobile apps to be able to open up the web browser on my playbook, and access (and manage!) the contents of my desktop PC. Basically what I'm looking for is the Windows 7 equivalent to the android app: "WiFi File explorer".

The reason I need this to be a windows program and not involve a mobile app is that I'm trying to view and manage the contents of my PC with a simple web browser interface on the remote device, and a simple program running on my PC. The problem is that the remote device is a Blackberry Playbook and all the apps involved with that device are WAY above my tech level. I get nothing but totally frustrated with "VNC" and stuff like that. Please help this desperate person?

Here are the things I have tried and didn't work out just to save you from suggesting them:

-Luko which does not allow me to place the files on my PC onto my desktop (why they would omit this as a feature is beyond me)
    -Orb is out because they go through their website to stream media content. I want to manage files on my own home network
    -dropbox or any other clouds are out because I can't see my entire PC from within my Playbook if I use those.

edit:

finally got VNC working. It took me getting down and dirty with Portforwarding.com for about an hour but I got it done
    Last edited by omniusovermind; 12-27-11 at 02:14 AM.
    12-26-11 09:02 PM
    thats because the current crop of VNC apps on playbook are horrible, not user friendly and frustrating to use. try VNC on another device and you'd change your mind.

in your case, the only way is to sideload an android file explorer that can connect to your LAN. other than that, the playbook offers absolutely nothing in terms of what you're looking for. if you were on android or iOS i could easily suggest some very simple ways.
    12-26-11 10:53 PM
    Are you looking for remote desktop access, or remote file access?

I easily set up Tight VNC (on Windows) and IMT VNC (on the PlayBook) using nothing but default settings for access when I'm on my local LAN. I don't want to allow access from the Internet, so I didn't have to do any port forwarding or router work. But in any case, VNC won't let you move files from your PC to your PB.

I don't know of any solution that does both remote desktop and remote file access at once, i.e. drag a file from your remote desktop to your PlayBook desktop. Everything I've seen is either one or the other.
    KermEd likes this.
    12-27-11 01:25 AM
    thats because the current crop of VNC apps on playbook are horrible, not user friendly and frustrating to use. try VNC on another device and you'd change your mind.

in your case, the only way is to sideload an android file explorer that can connect to your LAN. other than that, the playbook offers absolutely nothing in terms of what you're looking for. if you were on android or iOS i could easily suggest some very simple ways.
    actually, IMT VNC was great and the PB had nothing to do with it! It was my own user error at fault. I played stubborn for another hour and spent some more time at Port Forwarding and got it working, now everything's great.

I'll agree with you though that my only options on the PB already assume the user is quite familiar with VNC and I wasn't. I'm so spoiled by the hand holding we get these days, and I'm pretty rusty from when I had to type HTML by hand and upload the pages over Unix
    KermEd likes this.
    12-27-11 02:06 AM
    IMT VNC works great on my systems (I havebhad VNC set up on my laptop to control my media center PC). It's too too hard to set up.
    12-27-11 02:15 AM
    Glad you got it working to your satisfaction!
    12-27-11 02:27 AM
    what I'm looking for is the Windows 7 equivalent to the android app: "WiFi File explorer"
    If you just want to be able to get files from your Windows PC onto your Blackberry, or to modify files on your Windows PC with DOS commands, then ControlByMail from www.vic2pc.com is what you need. It lets you send commands from your Blackberry by email, which then carries them out on your PC for you.
    ljohnson108 likes this.
    12-29-11 02:36 PM
    IMTVNC works great with the tight vnc I'm running. Of course there are bugs though.
    12-29-11 10:10 PM
    I'm using the droid ported RDP and it works great connecting to my win7 pc ..
    12-29-11 10:35 PM
    I've gotten rdesktop compiled and umm running I suppose, it's decidedly alpha code and it needs a pretty wrapper, as it currently talks to one server. The rate I'm going, I'll need another three weeks of puttering to get the hang of native QNX/Playbook programming (or rather the umm freedom of QNX/Playbook programing) and this hairball called rdesktop.
    KermEd likes this.
    12-30-11 10:35 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD