Any response to your email query?
    Nothing as yet mate - not even a 'thanks for getting in touch' auto-reply. I'd love to see some more games on there. Everyone seems obsessed with getting sonic or mario, or angry birds games on (although cut the rope is suprisingly good)

The Amiga has a huge back catalogue of stuff I'd like to see. Sensible Soccer would be a no-brainer. Imagine if it was clever enough to let us have games online against each other! I'd like to see that and Secret of monkey island, or simon the sorcerer - stuff like Broken Sword would work well too.

Other things on the wish list? Super Cars 2 would be on there for me, as would Paradroid 90 and probably Silly putty too. There'll be a load I'm forgetting about, but these releases are really exciting imho - I can still remember being blown away when I bought an 80 MB hard drive for my A1200 lol
    09-24-12 03:50 AM
    Super Cars 2 was top notch. Split screen two player and releasing a rear facing rocket so your mate runs straight into it. Once of my favourites. Trying not to get my hopes up but agree there is massive potential with the Amiga back catalogue. Though I wouldn't want to try and control Kick Off with a touchscreen D-pad. Was hard enough with a Zipstick.

Last edited by JimiDiGriz; 09-24-12 at 04:52 AM.
    09-24-12 04:31 AM
    If kick off came out, it would be worth seeing if I could still score directly from corner kicks every time lol
    09-24-12 04:57 AM
    Don't need to wait for a corner kick. From the kick off run straight down the middle of the pitch, just beyond half way between the half way line and the penalty area pull back to lob the keeper. Standard jibbers goal, worked with Player Manager too.

Looking at this again not a chance with a touchscreen, think it'd be too fast
    Last edited by JimiDiGriz; 09-24-12 at 08:06 AM.
    09-24-12 07:55 AM
    I would like to see BattleSquadron. Available on iOS and googOS. I've been contacting the devs but nothing positive yet. I would also like to see Hybris and Banshee. I loaded up Llamatron in DOSBox and it runs quite well. An Amiga emu would be HUGE in my books. Go PB.
    09-24-12 09:03 PM
    oh wow..defender of the crown..brings back so many great memories. how about mars saga and wasteland..I spent a summer playing them..looking back, it's insane what was possible with 64kb of memory..here we are today with minimum spec PCs starting at a couple of gb and terabytes of storage drives replacing the 5.25 inch drives...
    09-24-12 10:48 PM
    oh wow..defender of the crown..brings back so many great memories. how about mars saga and wasteland..I spent a summer playing them..looking back, it's insane what was possible with 64kb of memory..here we are today with minimum spec PCs starting at a couple of gb and terabytes of storage drives replacing the 5.25 inch drives...
    Amigas typically had 512kb to 1M of base memory and was expandable to 8M and beyond. My first Amiga had a 20M HD. My second Amiga is still functioning! The computer power and data that people now carry in their pocket is truly enormous
    09-25-12 06:59 PM
    The first time I saw Stunt Car Racer and Operation Wolf on the Amiga my jaw dropped and that was early on in the lifecycle, by the end the games looked amazing considering for those with an A500 the technology stayed the same.
    09-27-12 02:35 AM
    Anyone else noticed that when reading the "about" section in the games that it uses the emulator UAE (and most likely a disk image as well) to run the games? How'd Amiga, Inc get away with that due to AppWorld's "no emulator/roms" policy?
    09-27-12 03:00 PM
    Amiga News

Looks like there is more in the pipeline...

"The high quality production of games from the likes of Team 17, Ocean, EA, Factor 5, Lucas Arts, Bitmap Brothers and Cinemaware, to name just a few, coupled with the state-of-the-art hardware made an unbeatable combination. Today Amiga, Inc. is working with these publishers to make many of these amazing games available to play once again."

Happy days.
    10-02-12 05:47 AM
    Anyone else noticed that when reading the "about" section in the games that it uses the emulator UAE (and most likely a disk image as well) to run the games? How'd Amiga, Inc get away with that due to AppWorld's "no emulator/roms" policy?
    Wow if uae runs that good wish it was made available like dgen, maybe as amiga own it and its being packaged as a seperate app each time (like the nintendo virtual console) they allow it ?

Regards

Damian
    10-02-12 11:27 AM
    There is a commercial amiga emulator that uses UAE. They must have paid copyright on the roms and workbench.
    So it may be above board.

When I think of the things my Amiga could do twenty years ago with 8 megs of ram and a fraction of the processing power of the playbook....
    10-02-12 08:03 PM
    Looking at the dev website the seems to own the Amiga brand outright:

"Amiga, Inc. holds the intellectual property related to the AMIGA® personal computer that was developed and sold by Commodore International and Amiga Corporation, including hardware designs, software, operating systems, trademarks, and other intellectual properties. Amiga, Inc. also produces and distributes enabling technologies and applications for wired and wireless devices that provide technology to developers for writing and porting applications to a new multi-media operating system that is hardware agnostic, enabling applications to run unchanged on various support platforms including Cell Phones, Tablets, Desktops, Set Top Boxes, and Digital Televisions. For more information, visit Amiga, Inc. or email [email protected]"
    10-03-12 04:08 AM
    Even so, it still does raise questions about the use of UAE. If the original uses the GPL licensing, wouldn't that prevent one from using it for monetary gain?
    10-03-12 09:33 AM
    Even so, it still does raise questions about the use of UAE. If the original uses the GPL licensing, wouldn't that prevent one from using it for monetary gain?
    If I dig around the menus of my Panasonic TV, I eventually come across the GPL licence text.

There is nothing stopping one selling GPL software, but it is really all the other non-GPL stuff packaged alongside that is carrying the price tag. Kickstart ROM, games, misc data files, etc.
    10-03-12 04:53 PM
    Still hoping for some more amiga games :-)

Regards

Damian
    11-20-12 12:14 AM
    Saw this at the top of the forums again and thought some more had been released! Teasing bounces are the devil's work!
    11-20-12 12:34 AM
    Alien Breed SE just got a version bump to 1.3... not sure what got updated yet but perhaps a sign there's more games to come?
    01-22-13 12:09 PM
    I've said this before but I think there is an interesting connection among BlackBerry, Commodore, and Amiga. It goes something like this:

CBM (Commodore Business Machines):Amiga::RIM:QNX

Commodore was a company of Canadian origin that at one time jut about owned the PC market - the Commodore 64 is by some measures still the best-selling computer model of all time (there are lots of Windows XP machines, for example, but no individual make/model outsells the old C64).

Commodore was a company that started to falter when, to a degree, it became trapped by its own success, having built a customer base who demanded next-generation compatibility for the large external hardware and software collections they had build to support their C64s. This led Commodore to continue to try to fit itself inside the "box" of the C64, and also contributed to a failure to keep up with the ever-increasing computing power of the competition. So, success bred a failure to innovate.

Commodore eventually attempted to close the gap between itself and its competitors on the innovation front by buying what they could not produce themselves - thus they acquired the little-known Amiga and made it part of their brand.

Enthusiasts for many years insisted that the Amiga was ahead of its time, revolutionary, better than the competition, but its high price point and Commodore's poor marketing, combined with the sliding market position that Commodore found itself holding because of the public's assocation of the brand name with their now-outmoded C64's, prevented the Amiga from rescuing Commodore as a company.

So we have RIM. A Canadian company that once owned the smartphone market through its BlackBerry line of products. However, its failure to innovate (though not for the same reasons as Commodore) left it in a position where it essentially has tried to buy what it has not been able to produce: a TRULY next-gen operating system (QNX). Now, just as Commodore did with Amiga, RIM has tried to make QNX its own, doing what seems already to be a better job than Commodore in this regard.

QNX's/BB 10's/Playbook 2.0's enthusiasts vociferously argue that it is an OS ahead of its time, has superior architecture to its competitors, etc.

The question now is: will QNX/BB 10 be enough to save RIM, unlike Amiga, which failed to save Commodore? Or, perhaps more fairly to both QNX and Amiga in this analogy, will RIM succeed in marketing the genius product that they have acquired and used well enough to save themselves, in a way that Commodore failed to do with Amiga?

One good sign: Commodore never exactly made the Amiga the sole focus of its business, instead trying to keep the C64 legacy alive (through the C128 and the never-released C-65) while simultaneously trying to sell the Amiga. BlackBerry wisely plans to merge the old BlackBerry OS with QNX in BlackBerry 10 (or, perhaps more accurately, eliminate the old BlackBerry OS).

Time shall tell.
    I did not know Commodore had Canadian orgin. Interesting.

Anyways, best selling computer of all time is actually little thing called ZX Spectrum.

PC open architecture killed Amiga. PC was just much more powerful computer adopted by many. For the same reason PC killed Apple computers and for the same reason Android is killing iPhone now.

Sent from Blackberry Playbook using TapaTalk 2
    01-26-13 06:24 AM
    Not sure it was only open architecture that let PC kill Amiga, etc. I had an Amiga and loved it. And we had one in the TV studio at my college. But I could not really recommend it for general use to my college, since the students would clearly graduate into a PC world. And the press was no better then than now (and not just about computers). Just as the press saw no need for multi-tasking in the Playbook OS, they saw no need for it back then. Not to mention that Commodore chose to put a picture of a little girl on the box of the Amiga 500, thus screaming "Toy" to the world. Also, back then you needed to run, say, Lotus 1-2-3 to be considered real. I know from a Lotus employee that C= tried to get it ported, but lotus wanted 50 machines and a LOT of money to do it. C= refused, it was already in some trouble having hired and fired and lost a lawsuit to a marketing "genius" from Pepsi on the grounds that Apple had done well with a guy from Coke, and so there was no Lotus on the Amiga. Word Perfect was there and I had many a fine talk with support folks in Orem, Utah. One thing I learned--If I ever needed a software support center, I would hire people from Orem. Man, were they pleasant....
    01-27-13 12:40 PM
    Wings now in Appworld!!!! Also Another world!
    02-07-13 01:03 PM
    Hmm, a tad annoyed. Wings can only have been out a handful of days, I picked it up a couple of days ago for �2 and it now appears to be 75p. I don't mind price drops or sales but that's now less than 50% of the original price within a week of release.
    02-09-13 02:13 AM
    Bitmap Brothers have arrived! Gods and Speedball 2 now in Appworld...."Ice cream!"
    02-28-13 07:41 AM
    Also, from the devs homepage:

"Greetings Amiga Community,

After the recent launch of titles for the new Blackberry platform we set to work on the next grouping of titles. Many of you have made requests and suggestions and today we are announcing the next group of titles that we are working on for the Blackberry 10 platform:

[Bitmap Brothers, 1988] Speedball
    [Bitmap Brothers, 1990] Speedball 2: Brutal Deluxe
    [Bitmap Brothers, 1991] Gods
    [Bitmap Brothers, 1991] Magic Pockets
    [Bitmap Brothers, 1993] The Chaos Engine
    [Ocean, 1989] Batman
    [Ocean, 1989] The Newzealand Story
    [Ocean, 1990] Pang
    [Ocean, 1990] Shadow Warriors
    [Ocean, 1990] Rainbow Islands
    [Ocean, 1992] Parasol Stars: The story of Rainbow Islands II
    [Ocean, 1992] The Addams Family
    [Ocean, 1992] Wizkid
    [Storm, 1991] Rodland
    [Storm, 1991] SWIV
    [Gremlin Graphics, 1993] Disposable Hero
    [Gremlin Graphics, 1990] Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge
    [Gremlin Graphics, 1991] Lotus Turbo Challenge 2
    [Gremlin Graphics, 1992] Lotus III: The Ultimate Challenge
    [Gremlin Graphics, 1990] Super Cars
    [Gremlin Graphics, 1991] Super Cars II
    [Gremlin Graphics, 1992] Zool: Ninja of the 'Nth' Dimension
    [Gremlin Graphics, 1993] Zool 2
    [Psygnosis, 1992] Agony
    [Psygnosis, 1994] Brian the Lion
    [Psygnosis, 1990] The Killing Game Show
    [Psygnosis, 1993] Second Samurai
    [Psygnosis, 1989] Shadow of the Beast
    [Psygnosis, 1990] Shadow of the Beast II
    [Psygnosis, 1992] Shadow of the Beast III
    We are in process of bringing more titles and still hope to have 100 Amiga titles available by the time of the BB10 handset launch.

If you are a developer and want to bring your titles to the platform, then please contact us at [email protected] and we will assist your efforts.

The above list is not 100% official as these titles still need testing and more work, but we wanted to provide you with an idea of what we are working on.

Amiga Team"

Looks like they are starting to come through. Some absolute belters in that list.
    02-28-13 08:22 AM
    Looks like a few more starting to appear. Desert and Jungle Strike, Speedball, Zool etc. Bit pricey mind you. �2 a pop seems like a lot for some of these, especially with no trial. I'd prefer to test the controls having played some of the others. Speedball 1/2 might well be unplayable on a virtual D-pad.
    03-01-13 02:06 AM
99 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD