is there any possible loop around to buy apps through carrier billing? I've done it once before, but now when I have it enabled on my BBID account, it says it's not available on the playbook. Want to get Splashtop HD but I don't have access to a paypal or a credit card at this time.
    02-29-12 10:28 PM
    AFAIK (As far as I know), carrier billing only works if the device has sim card inserted in it
    02-29-12 11:03 PM
    RIM would sell a boat load of apps and games if they enabled this somehow. Seems like a slam dunk to me.
    02-29-12 11:50 PM
    the problem is that the device is never technically connected to the mobile network. There is no way for app world billing to know what provider you're with. If it were to work, the carriers would have to open up all of their account numbers to blackberry which causes 2 problems -
    A: Your privacy from the carrier goes out the window as they'd have to provide a 3rd party company with your account info
    and
    B: there would be so many fraudulent charges due to the number of account numbers that would just start floating around on the net.

There is no way to do this that would be worth wild for blackberry. the logistics are mind boggling. We may see it on the LTE tablet, but not on the wifi only versions
    03-01-12 02:25 AM
    It would be good for people without credit cards or pay pal but I really don't want the carrier to be dealing with mobile payments. They will start coming up with all sorts of new fees and it will just end up costing us a lot more in the end. Unless of course the carriers have a change of heart and for some reason don't want to take as much as they can.

Edit: Sorry that it wasn't very constructive. As far as I'm aware credit cards or paypal are the best ways to pay on App World. Where you live is there a possibility of getting a debit cerdit card or a prepaid credit card?
    Last edited by eKafara; 03-01-12 at 04:40 AM.
    03-01-12 03:23 AM
    Hi everyone. Sorry to dig up an older topic, but I rather not open a new one with the same question.

I don't have a credit card or paypal acount. I would like to purchase apps for my playbook, namely Battery Guru and Book Reader for a start. I searched and found this dated 16/05/2012, and I'll quote:

"Note: In order to use the option to charge to your wireless bill, you would need a BlackBerry smartphone associated to the same BlackBerry ID as the BlackBerry PlayBook and this option would need to be supported by the wireless carrier. "

My wireless carrier supports this option, I use it on my BB. Both the BB and the PB use the same BB ID. Yet I can't find a way to do it. App World on the PB asks me to use paypal or credit card. When I try to buy it from the App World website, it asks me to do it from the PB.

So, it is still not supported and that article is a flop, or am I doing it all wrong?

Thanks
    12-27-12 09:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD