I was wondering if you can download any app off of App World and use it for your Playbook. Or do I have to only download off of the Playbook apps section? For example, if I wanted to download PingChat! or ScreenMuncher, would I still be able to download it to my Playbook and have it work?

Thanks!
    11-18-11 12:51 PM
    No, has to be a PB app. And this is partially what really limits PB apps
    11-18-11 12:53 PM
    You also have to load the apps via appworld on the PlayBook, so if it shows on the PlayBook (not your PC) it was meant for the PlayBook.
    11-18-11 12:57 PM
    That sucks.
    Thanks for your answer.
    11-18-11 01:00 PM
    You also have to load the apps via appworld on the PlayBook, so if it shows on the PlayBook (not your PC) it was meant for the PlayBook.
    Ohhhh, okay, thanks for the advice. I'm getting my Playbook tonight so I'm gonna see what apps there are.
    11-18-11 01:02 PM
    you also cannot download android based apps unless you are running OS 2 beta
    11-18-11 01:02 PM
    you also cannot download android based apps unless you are running OS 2 beta
    When the update comes out, will we be able to download them then? How will we know which Android apps are compatible with the Playbook?
    11-18-11 01:07 PM
    When the update comes out, will we be able to download them then? How will we know which Android apps are compatible with the Playbook?
    afaik, they'll look just like bb apps in App World.
    11-18-11 01:11 PM
    How will we know which Android apps are compatible with the Playbook?
    They will be on the AppWorld you access via the Playbook, just like the current PlayBook apps.
    11-18-11 01:14 PM
    Speaking of AppWorld, and getting slightly off topic, I'd LOVE to see RIM enable OTA app downloads from a PC like Android does via the desktop market.
    11-18-11 01:17 PM
    OK, thanks everyone. Really helped
    11-18-11 01:22 PM
    Or any app really. I just cannot make PhotoShop run on my BlackBerry .
    11-18-11 01:41 PM
    afaik, they'll look just like bb apps in App World.
    Now, an OS7 emulator. There's a killer app. No SIM card slot, of course but even so...
    11-18-11 01:42 PM
    Or any app really. I just cannot make PhotoShop run on my BlackBerry .
    wait, so we can download ANY app? i'm so confused- i thought we could only download PB apps >.<
    11-18-11 02:10 PM
    wait, so we can download ANY app? i'm so confused- i thought we could only download PB apps >.<
    He was joking I think.
    Don't think so much about this, when you get your PB, just use the App World to browse and purchase apps directly on your PB. Only apps that work with your device will show up.
    11-18-11 02:15 PM
    I WAS joking. I don't do much else.

The fact is however that the PlayBook will only run apps specifically written for it. An exception will be when OS2 is released or if you are running OS2 beta. Within OS2 is an Android emulator that will run nearly all apps specifically written for Android machines.

A second exception seems to be the recently announced DOSBox which will run some apps written dfor the old MS-DOS OS.

Why is this? Each device is unique and has specifi features and specific requirements. Because of this a BlackBerry phone app will not run on the PlayBook and a PlayBook app will not run on a BlackBerry. It's a bit like fitting Chevvy wheels on a Ford. It ain't gonna fit.

As to the Android and DOS emulators, these are PlayBook app themselves that create an environment on the Plabook where an Android or DOS app "thinks" it is running on Android or, under DOS. It might sound confusing but it works well enough.

In truth, the problem lies with AppWorld. RIM should seperate app for the various platform or, clearly mark them to show on which platform they run. I'd like to see the words BlackBerry Phone in red and the word PlayBook in green.
    Last edited by 4Q2; 11-18-11 at 02:53 PM.
    11-18-11 02:49 PM
    He was joking I think.
    Don't think so much about this, when you get your PB, just use the App World to browse and purchase apps directly on your PB. Only apps that work with your device will show up.
    thank you for the clarification!
    11-18-11 03:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD