Hi Guys,

I'm considering a Playbook, I've got an iPad right now, and I've been thinking a lot about selling it, for me Web OS has always been compelling, but one thing I'm concerned about is the lack of applications and games..

I know Blackberry announced the Android Player, but the question is will it play all Android Games/Apps? I've seen people on youtube saying that only "some" Android apps/games will work..

So I just want some confirmation, I'm by no means a business user, I purely would like to use it for media consumption, I just used one today, and was amazed at the overall performance, multi-tasking was very impressive..
    10-10-11 09:10 PM
    it will not. it can play only certain apps and the developers will also have to submit and have it approved before you will be able to download it.
    10-10-11 09:14 PM
    It will only have the Android apps that the developers tweak for the app player. They have to do some work to them before they can be used on the Android app player on the PlayBook.

So in short: no, it won't have all of them.
    10-10-11 09:14 PM
    Oh I see, well thanks for the quick reply guys, I'll have to think it over..
    10-10-11 09:27 PM
    The Playbook is not an adroid tablet. It is secure and BlackBerry wants to keep it that way. The android apps need to be submitted to BlackBerry. Android does not have a gate keeper like BlackBerry and Apple.
    10-10-11 09:33 PM
    Also, what you need to keep in mind is that CURRENTLY there is NO android player for the playbook. There might be one and there was a beta that no longer works but there is no android player and the latest rumors are it will again be delayed. So no one knows if there will ever be a working one! And certainly no one knows what it will or won't do if it ever sees the light of day.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    10-10-11 09:59 PM
    It will run many apps without a change. They only must be repackaged and signed (theoretically you can grab one in the android store and do it yourself^^). Most games consist on native libraries which must be ported to PB (but that shouldn't be a problem). Only the apps which consist on special google api like in-app purchase won't work.
    The PB is really a nice device and with the 2.0 update, the upcoming ndk and flash 11 there will be good games and apps.
    But if you're unsure wait until Devcon (it's in a week) then more details will be known about the 2.0 update and the android player.
    10-11-11 04:51 AM
    Besides the points raised above, that only SOME apps submitted to RIM will work: Android tablet apps also won't work. Only the older apps designed for Android phones will be able to run on the App player.

Games that are dependant on special APIs from Google also won't run. Older/simpler games should be able to run just fine though.
    10-11-11 05:33 AM
    The only apps that won't work are ones that use Google services (such as voip) or use native code.

You don't need to wait for the developer to package the app on App World. You can repackage it yourself.

Unless you're still on an earlier firmware, Android Player no longer works. It's coming back in the next big update (2.0) as far as I know.
    10-11-11 09:06 AM
    you wont be able to repackage the apps or download them from the android market. I am guessing RIM has plugged make loopholes from before and you will have to download them from RIMs appworld only
    10-11-11 10:38 AM
    Anyone know if there is a jailbreak equivalent on the Playbook? where you can do hacks or play roms?
    10-11-11 02:37 PM
    Anyone know if there is a jailbreak equivalent on the Playbook? where you can do hacks or play roms?
    Taaaaaarrrrggggggeeeeeeeetttttt ....
    Aiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiimmmmmmmmmmmm ...
    no, I'm kidding.

+++ Hard job, not needed.
    10-11-11 02:45 PM
    Thanks for all the info guys, I've decided that I will be getting the Playbook, getting rid of my iPad.. I've had the opportunity to use it again and I really love it.. It's an awesome device, hopefully the flash support will make up for the app store..
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    10-11-11 05:28 PM
    Thanks for all the info guys, I've decided that I will be getting the Playbook, getting rid of my iPad.. I've had the opportunity to use it again and I really love it.. It's an awesome device, hopefully the flash support will make up for the app store..
    The nice thing about the flash integration is that you can find alost any game available in flash on the net and play it through the browser....endless fun

now if we could have a little silverlight love in the near future we would be set.
    10-11-11 09:41 PM
    you wont be able to repackage the apps or download them from the android market. I am guessing RIM has plugged make loopholes from before and you will have to download them from RIMs appworld only
    Of course you will be able to. It's impossible to prevent this.

RIM can block repackaging bars by encrypting them in the first place (they don't yet).

Android apk's are out of RIM's control. They will never be encrypted, so just unzip them. If the developer can repackage his/her app, you can repackage their app.
    10-12-11 06:25 AM
    Yes... And while we're breaking the law and ignoring copyrights, got some good links for warez or pirated movies you wanna share xsacha?!?
    10-12-11 08:06 AM
    It will run many apps without a change. They only must be repackaged and signed (theoretically you can grab one in the android store and do it yourself^^). Most games consist on native libraries which must be ported to PB (but that shouldn't be a problem). Only the apps which consist on special google api like in-app purchase won't work.
    The PB is really a nice device and with the 2.0 update, the upcoming ndk and flash 11 there will be good games and apps.
    But if you're unsure wait until Devcon (it's in a week) then more details will be known about the 2.0 update and the android player.
    Well, that isn't exactly true I'm afraid....They DO have to be changed rather significantly for the QNX platform. The Android Player for Playbook firstly has to work on the QNX Platform. It is not the same Android Player as on an Android device. Secondly once the player is up and running, it only emulates an ecosystem for the Android app to work. Developers still have to submit an app according to RIM's criteria. Then RIm makes sure that security will not be violated and may well reject a lot of Android apps or ask the developers to alter the coding. This is RIM we are talking about here. Nothing will be quick even if Devcon reveals a fully working Android player.... It will just mean that they think it works with some apps that they have tested-not on a mass deployment basis. Who knows the compatibility issues that a never before seen Android Emulator is going to face. frankly, I cannot see anything happening quickly....apart from thousands of disappointed Playbook users.
    10-12-11 10:14 AM
    The SlingPlayer for Android tablets is what I want most.
    10-12-11 02:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD