If it's $4.99 in the App Store, then it should be �3.23, but no - it's �4.99!

I paid �9.99 for Dead Space, which equates to $15.41 - which is pretty outrageous, actually. There are no distribution costs and we get the same product, so why are we paying around a third more for the same thing?
    09-25-11 11:32 AM

I paid �9.99 for Dead Space, which equates to $15.41 - which is pretty outrageous, actually. There are no distribution costs and we get the same product, so why are we paying around a third more for the same thing?
    Agreed. When traveling in Europe this summer I noticed a bunch on apps that were 0.99$ in Canada priced at 0.99� for about a 40% markup! Anyone know if this is a RIM thing or is it the developers doing it?
    09-25-11 11:42 AM
    From recollection all application stores to date (Apple + Android) - do this exact same thing.
    09-25-11 11:51 AM
    Agreed. When traveling in Europe this summer I noticed a bunch on apps that were 0.99$ in Canada priced at 0.99� for about a 40% markup! Anyone know if this is a RIM thing or is it the developers doing it?
    I can assure you that it's a RIM/Digital River thing. Developers choose a price in USD. What is displayed in App World, taxes and currency conversions are handled by RIM/Digital River. We are not privy to RIM's pricing policy so no one here will be able to answer your questions.
    09-25-11 11:53 AM
    From recollection all application stores to date (Apple + Android) - do this exact same thing.
    Any idea how they justify it, DM?
    09-25-11 11:53 AM
    i agree mostly cus half the time the gud apps are chargeable... i wonder if this will happen when android player comes out
    09-25-11 11:55 AM
    Well, When someone buys an app through app world that I have created, they are charged the equivalent of $0.99 in USD.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-25-11 12:15 PM
    Well, When someone buys an app through app world that I have created, they are charged the equivalent of $0.99 in USD.

Nope. You'll see $0.99 because you are in the States but we'll see �0.99 in Britain, which is about 30% more.

We're being overcharged for the same product...
    09-25-11 12:35 PM
    So your money is worth more then ours and you still pay more?
    09-25-11 12:46 PM
    Nope. You'll see $0.99 because you are in the States but we'll see �0.99 in Britain, which is about 30% more.

We're being overcharged for the same product...
    I can assure you, the currency is converted (at least with my apps)

09-25-11 12:57 PM
    I can assure you, the currency is converted (at least with my apps)

I'm not sure what you're saying - you'll see the price in dollars because it knows you're in the States, but over here it converts to pounds and charges us more, which you wouldn't see because you're using the US app store and we are directed to the European one...
    09-25-11 01:01 PM
    I'm not sure what you're saying - you'll see the price in dollars because it knows you're in the States, but over here it converts to pounds and charges us more, which you wouldn't see because you're using the US app store and we are directed to the European one...
    I'm saying, I am a developer. When Someone in Europe or anywhere else buys one of my apps, they are charged the EQUIVALENT converted price in their native currency to whatever I set the price in $USD

09-25-11 01:12 PM
    I'm saying, I am a developer. When Someone in Europe or anywhere else buys one of my apps, they are charged the EQUIVALENT converted price in their native currency to whatever I set the price in $USD

I don't see how that can be the case, I'm afraid. The App Store won't let me buy in dollars and directly converts the dollar price to the same figure in pounds. Can someone else in the UK confirm this, please?
    09-25-11 01:16 PM
    I mentioned this in another thread and was told that we are charged tax. When you buy an app and receive the paypal receipt, you can see the tax added onto the lower price. i don't know why this happens though. I agree that we should pay a set conversion rate though!
    09-25-11 01:19 PM
    Its just common - there's no valid reason why any of them do it, I have a funny feeling Google's App Market does price stuff at 69p and american stuff at 99c - but I haven't looked on there in a while, I do know apple's app store does the change the currency symbol thing.

Best thing is to use a VPN to buy the more expensive items and save a bucket. Putting a standard VPN on iOS is simple, PlayBook not so simple as their VPN standards are a bit full on enterprise with little SSTP/PPTP/L2TP support from the first look.

Some enterprising young lad should setup a US VPN that is compatible with BB/PB and create a nice website and charge people �1-�2 for 24hrs access, enough time for you to get on buy your apps and get off - if you're buying a few apps in one go, the cost is covered and you are saving a bit, I'm sure he could pay for the dedicated server running it and pocket a bit of cash as well.

Wonder if RIM have automted VPN setup scripts as that could make the whole process more user friendly. I know you can push them through the BAS to BES(x) connected users but not really much use otherwise.
    Last edited by DangerMouseUK; 09-25-11 at 02:00 PM.
    CrackMachine and bigbamboo like this.
    09-25-11 01:57 PM
    I think a few statements above are wrong.

First, developers do NOT "set their price in USD". In fact, we set our price according to predefined "tiers" determined by RIM. By default, we happen to see the USD version of the tiers, but there's a little popup window where we can see what those tiers represent in all the supported currencies. If you think you're setting the price in USD, that's only in your mind... you're simultaneously setting it in all currencies, with the dollar values for a given tier predefined by RIM.

Secondly, I believe you cannot blindly convert the currencies using the open market rates, since that ignores other components of the price, most notably tax.

I've been informed by UK customers that "all prices *must include VAT*, by law". Is that true? If so, when you make an App World purchase for a "tier 0.99" app, and pay �0.99 for it, the price includes tax, right? Also possibly other mysterious fees that are required to do business and process these transactions in the UK.

In Canada, "tier 0.99" means CAD $0.99, but we pay an additional tax ON TOP of that, varying from 0 in some provinces to 13% (Ontario), or probably more, in other provinces.

I expect in some states in the US it's similar, with taxes added, and in others there are none, or possibly some must be included as in the UK.

I think that means that much of what you're complaining about is in essence your local tax rates... not exactly RIM's fault.

Lastly, there's the obvious point that RIM seems to want all prices to end in .99 whenever possible, so the various amounts won't convert exactly... yeah, it doesn't seem fair, but I don't think it's as bad as it appears on the face of it. If you look at a few of the currencies, they break that pattern (e.g. AUD 2.50 in Australia or 3.49 in BRL for Brazil), so I think RIM tries to come fairly close, accounting for taxes etc.

They also likely try to take into account some amount of volatility, so they may set prices on the high side in some areas, to reduce the need to change them too often (which would confuse everyone).

(Disclaimer: the info I was given about UK prices may be all wrong. I have no knowledge of the area myself.)
    09-25-11 02:10 PM
    @peter9477, thanks for the clarification about "tiers" - I hadn't noticed the popup.
    09-25-11 04:21 PM
    hey, it's the same with everything from US ...

64gb Playbook is 699€ here (945 USD !!!)
    09-26-11 10:36 AM
    I had Dead space on my Ipad and it is $2.99. Its the 'exact' same game.
    Dead Space

I would have downloaded it on the pb as I carry it around more, but not at 3 times the price.
    Don't feel bad that you paid 5 time more than the price; I paid twice as much for my playbook than you can get it for now thinking RIM would be even close to deliver what it had talked up prior to, during, and after launch. Learned my lesson well.
    09-26-11 12:27 PM
    I don't see how that can be the case, I'm afraid. The App Store won't let me buy in dollars and directly converts the dollar price to the same figure in pounds. Can someone else in the UK confirm this, please?
    Listen, when you get the bill, the USD .99 app, that shows .99 in UK pounds, the actual amount you will see on your credit card for example, will the the amount in British currency that is equivalent to the USD .99 for that day and time of purchase.

Just because it shows .99 in your currency doesn't mean that's what you end up paying.
    09-26-11 01:49 PM
    Listen, when you get the bill, the USD .99 app, that shows .99 in UK pounds, the actual amount you will see on your credit card for example, will the the amount in British currency that is equivalent to the USD .99 for that day and time of purchase.

Just because it shows .99 in your currency doesn't mean that's what you end up paying.
    No sorry. Refer to Peter's post above.

Here are the entries in the table for a Tier099 app like mine (note that for UK price varies slightly by carrier for some reason):

United Kingdom Virgin(GB) 1 GBP
    United Kingdom Vodafone (UK) 0.99 GBP
    United Kingdom 0.99 GBP
    United Kingdom O2 (UK)1 GBP
    United States 0.99 USD

So for a Tier099 app you will pay $.99 USD if you purchase the app in the U.S. - You'll be billed $0.99 GBP if purchased in the UK.
    09-26-11 02:18 PM
    The last time I checked, out of RIM, Apple, and Android, RIM was the ONLY one that did this and another user from the UK posted the same thing (here: http://forums.crackberry.com/general...ed-rim-640734/) and said he (or she) was gonna email RIM about this.

Hope the starter of this thread and everyone who experience this gets an answer or some sort of resolution.
    09-26-11 02:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD