SInce the playbook is suppose to be the tablet built for business, i'm wondering where all the business apps are. it seems like most of the apps are games, i didn't buy the playbook to play games, i bought it to mobilize my photography business.

i think the number of apps are growing, and probably just a matter of time, but i'm getting a little impatiant. just like to see something i could use, a contract creator. ipad has one, heck they have one especially for photographers, i'm just not an "i" person, i don't have an "i" anything and i'm not about to start now.
    05-30-11 07:23 PM
    The main business use NOW is the ability to use secured bridge messages to view full screen email and attachments

We will have to wait a bit for Android apps 'cause developers have little incentive to invest in unique apps for a new to market device. RIM never promised to provide anything other then basic native apps.
    05-30-11 08:57 PM
    word, excel, pdf viewer, email, calendar, contacts, to-do list, notes/memo and browser. this is what i use for business and it's all on the playbook out of the box. who needs apps?
    05-30-11 11:42 PM
    use mine for business ALL the time. everyday. like jpg said, email, pdf viewer, notes/memo, browser, etc. but yes, i also understand what you're saying... more specific industry geared apps would be nice. I'm sure they will come with time. quick question for you all though: I've heard the "andriod apps" statement come several times in several different threads, my understanding of this is that developers are still going to have to 'port' their andriod app to the pb andriod player and then also submit to bb app world, if this is true, we are not going to be seeing the full andriod app library hit all at once, if ever. Just a thought.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-30-11 11:49 PM
    I've heard the "andriod apps" statement come several times in several different threads, my understanding of this is that developers are still going to have to 'port' their andriod app to the pb andriod player and then also submit to bb app world, if this is true, we are not going to be seeing the full andriod app library hit all at once, if ever. Just a thought.
    That is correct. Very few people seem to understand this process. I expect there will be a lot of grumbling when PB users find out they can't simply download stuff from Android Market....
    05-31-11 07:25 AM
    Until their release the Native SDK, you wont be seeing much apps. once this will be release im pretty sure we'll see more.

my 2 cents.
    Last edited by webadpro; 05-31-11 at 07:55 AM.
    05-31-11 07:53 AM
    Until their release the Native SDK, you wont be seeing much apps. once this will be release im pretty sure we'll see more.

my 2 cents.
    my biggest worry with the native SDK is that it won't be any good (just like previous bb sdk). I don't know anything about programing so please forgive my ignorance, but I've heard so often that the blackberry platform is very annoying to write programs for, I guess I'm worried the BlackBerry PlayBook sdk will follow to closely to previous sdk? Can someone clarify or explain better what I'm clumsily trying to say?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-31-11 08:33 AM
    word, excel, pdf viewer, email, calendar, contacts, to-do list, notes/memo and browser. this is what i use for business and it's all on the playbook out of the box. who needs apps?
    Dude, all the items you list are in fact ....... "apps". They are just native apps.
    05-31-11 09:02 AM
    To me when it comes to business, I would need offline email support and offline document editing. Currently using Bridge I can view messages but If i try to open a document and save it. I can do it only to the Phone and not to the playbook. Which means like mirroring my few apps on phone at a larger screen. I cannot send any email using some files which are in playbook. Very few apps, as long as they dont release the native email and Android apps support. I think Playbook is not that useful. Its now upto RIM how fast they react.
    05-31-11 09:23 AM
    SInce the playbook is suppose to be the tablet built for business, i'm wondering where all the business apps are. it seems like most of the apps are games, i didn't buy the playbook to play games, i bought it to mobilize my photography business.

i think the number of apps are growing, and probably just a matter of time, but i'm getting a little impatiant. just like to see something i could use, a contract creator. ipad has one, heck they have one especially for photographers, i'm just not an "i" person, i don't have an "i" anything and i'm not about to start now.
    Have to agree. Many of us in the business world are restricted to bb because of the enterprise server. The very least we need is citrix receiver. The citrix forums say late in June. Hope it's true.
    05-31-11 09:47 AM
    Apps I would like to use for business/work:
    RDP
    SSH
    5250 client
    VPN PPTP(some places I connect to only have this connection type)
    Native Email with EAS
    That's just a few
    05-31-11 09:55 AM
    my biggest worry with the native SDK is that it won't be any good (just like previous bb sdk). I don't know anything about programing so please forgive my ignorance, but I've heard so often that the blackberry platform is very annoying to write programs for, I guess I'm worried the BlackBerry PlayBook sdk will follow to closely to previous sdk? Can someone clarify or explain better what I'm clumsily trying to say?
    Well, I don't think they could do worse than previous efforts. In the past, the issue I ran into was that there were two SDKs to use for BB phone devices, and there was poor version/feature overlap between the two. So it was entirely possible that you couldn't do all the features you wanted in an app with either option. That, and the clunky integration with Eclipse was a disappointment, which made the developer tools inferior to MS/Apple.

Hopefully, RIM can separate/distance the native SDK from the 2-3 other development paths that will exist on the PlayBook, and make it unique and self-contained. It needs to blaze its own trail forward without baggage. If they fall back into the pattern of too many mediocre development options, that would be bad.
    05-31-11 10:50 AM
    Dude, all the items you list are in fact ....... "apps". They are just native apps.
    duh. but native apps are not what the op was referring to.
    05-31-11 10:01 PM
    With SAP and IBM developing apps for the playbook Their must be some good apps for business. SAP has some killer medical imaging apps but I dont think their going to be offered in app world. A lead IBM sales rep was on FOX business stating that you can run a Billion dollar corp from the PlayBook. I'm sure their are some app's for business out there. Perhaps start looking through different providers if you want the important business apps. Sorry their not going to be free. Lots of good ideas for apps, get ahold of the people that should be making them! Business.
    05-31-11 10:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD