Well, until RIM can find their way through the bug list and get this major one fixed, the localhost / browser workaround proposed by f_d works really well. I don't care how long they take to fix it. Once I typed the address correctly it was a snap.

Open the browser, type http://localhost:187/ or http://127.0.0.1:187/ into the address bar and you will be presented with six large menu panels..... viola the bridge apps! You can save as a bookmark and there you are. You can take it a step further and add http://localhost:187/messages/ (the final slash is important!) and just open the messages. When you save this bookmark you can choose the option to save to the home screen. Then drag it into the bridge folder. This does not fix the messages app, but you have access to the messages just like before and it DOES clear the notifications! No more wiping, blah, blah...which only works temporarily anyway. What I like is the speed. It may take an extra second for the browser to load, but once you're in the bridge it flies!

Thank you so much f_d !! (Had I played around with the beta, I might have remembered this, but I can't believe no one else thought to use this workaround! There must be 10 threads on here about this horrible bug, but it took a lot of digging to find the localhost thing.) I hope it saves some of you some peace of mind. It does me. I might bury the bridge folder and just use this!
    Last edited by cputoys; 03-08-12 at 05:47 PM. Reason: (sp)
    natmanns and streetpro like this.
    03-08-12 05:44 PM
    I don't know what happened but my bridge email just started working on it's own. Strange
    03-12-12 10:49 AM
    I tried mine as soon as I saw your post. Still looks like a strobe light here! I don't care for the native email, so am content to use the localhost workaround for now.
    03-12-12 12:43 PM
    I can't explain it either except I do recall reading in a thread on this issue that the posters problem disappeared after deleting emails. I did delete some emails on my BB but nothing else special. Maybe one of the got hung up or something. Dunno just glad it's fixed.Hope yours straightens out soon.
    03-19-12 01:53 AM
    I'm becoming increasingly frustrated with the performance of bridge. The flashing messages problem has happened for the third time (first since OS 2 update).

This is core functionality and I find it unacceptable that this is still occurring.
    03-27-12 09:26 AM
    I'm becoming increasingly frustrated with the performance of bridge. The flashing messages problem has happened for the third time (first since OS 2 update).

This is core functionality and I find it unacceptable that this is still occurring.
    Agreed. I can't believe there hasn't been a fix for this after all this time. Seriously, do they even have a clue? I'm still using localhost workaround but it would be great to have the bridge intact once again.
    03-27-12 06:08 PM
    To be honest, I'm surprised this isn't happening to more people.
    03-29-12 09:47 PM
    Now that the new update has happened has this fixed anyones bridge message flashing issue?

For me it has not so again RIM has failed to deliver, the best bit is that they are not accepting any emails even trying to reply to an email that worked this morning.

When will RIM learn that they have to get the basics right, this should have worked from the beginning, then they promised it would be fixed at the next upgrade (now) and they dont deliver. They may have many great things coming soon but if they cant fix what should already work why would people want to take a risk on anything new.

Yes i know the RIM fanboys will not be happy with these comments and i say to them I hope their spending power can keep RIM afloat because what RIM have shown here is an other failure on top of other failures.

RIM RIP
    04-17-12 04:50 PM
    Nope. Mine is still flashing madly. This would come in handy if I were lost at sea. Instead I'm just at a loss to explain how RIM can let this go this long. Even an acknowledgment that it's something they are working on would be something, but all I hear is silence.
    04-17-12 06:46 PM
    So unfortunately I have found myself on this thread. Any word on a fix? I'm not doing a wipe. And since my blackberry phone doesn't want to play nice with the playbook I'm switching to the Motorola admiral.
    05-05-12 04:54 PM
    Not only did the local address fix my "flashing" problem and also by BBM not working, my messages now sync with my imap account, which they never did before. The "native e-mail" now syncs with my Torch which made me crazy for months. Who ever figured this out is "My Hero". Thanks
    05-07-12 03:20 PM
    I've been having the problem for over 3 weeks now - about the time I downloaded the "Compose Email" app. Dunno if that's part of the problem or not.

I have been experimenting with this for a bit including deleting the Compose Email app......

The only way I can get the flashing to stop is (as mentioned by someone in an earlier post) do the security wipe after doing a backup. THEN MOST IMPORTANTLY do NOT restore the application data files.

Works fine now but I've lost my entire native contacts file

What a #%%%%&^ pain

I'm a bit over all this.
    05-13-12 02:14 AM
    What worries me the most about this prolonged problem is their inability to fix it! And we (some of us ) are waiting for the bb10 phones, why? Imagine a similar problem on the phone itself, and being ignored by the rim support department. "we're sorry, the only fix we have for this right now is a compete wipe of the device and a restoration to factory settings. Bull-oney!!
    05-13-12 08:06 AM
    What worries me the most about this prolonged problem is their inability to fix it! And we (some of us ) are waiting for the bb10 phones, why? Imagine a similar problem on the phone itself, and being ignored by the rim support department. "we're sorry, the only fix we have for this right now is a compete wipe of the device and a restoration to factory settings. Bull-oney!!
    Absolutely agree. If we could backup contact, calendar and anything else we liked via Desktop ManagerI wouldn't mind going through the whole security wipe thing.
    05-13-12 06:04 PM
    I am still having this issue, I have done every update to both mobile 9900, bridge and PlayBook. Has any of the latest updates fixed this problem for anyone or is RIM still letting their customers down?

This issue was flagged to them 4 months ago by me and I know others have also flagged it to RIM do people think that they should have fixed it by now?

I get the feeling that they don't care about their existing customers they are only interested in gaining new ones and creating new products. But as already said if they can't or won't fix this type of issue can we trust them to get any thing new right.

I know there are loads of people out there who forgive RIM anything and come up with loads of excuses as to why things don't work but there must come a point when people have to sit up and take a realistic view of what is happening.
    05-15-12 03:12 AM
    This just started happening to me last night. I've never run a beta or side loaded anything. Thank you very much for the "localhost" workaround, but as mentioned it should NOT be necessary. I've paired my PB with my wife's phone and the same thing would happened. Long story short, I'm pretty sure it's not the phones (Storm 2's in this case).

I recently did my first security wipe due to the desktop software not talking to the PB after upgrading to 2.0.1.358. Now that works so I started restoring (dragging and dropping) all of my media and then did a backup (minus media). That was a few weeks ago. Then last night THIS! I may do a "restore" this weekend to see how long that last.

COME ON RIM!!!
    05-15-12 09:15 AM
    Yeah, I'm no programmer, but the localhost workaround shows that the data is being delivered to the pb, but the pb data handler in the messages module is fubar. I don't know why they just don't toss that module and rewrite it. Even if it misbehaves in another way, it would be SOMETHING! Why couldn't they include a "reset messages module" setting on the pb side so the app would think it had never loaded a message before? Just rambling on... but it would be nice if it would work. I have 2 icons in my bridge folder for messages. One I don't dare touch unless I'm lost at sea!
    05-15-12 12:57 PM
    I'm going to start hammering them on twitter. I've asked before, but never got one reply from them. I'm going to link this thread this time and ask everyday.

@Blackberry can you please look into the playbook message app problem? http://forums.crackberry.com/playboo...lessly-650688/

Maybe some others can copy this and paste it into twitter. Strength in numbers!
    05-15-12 03:45 PM
    Just to let everyone know the localhost work around did work for me for a while but surprise surprise it has now started to flash as well. This has become ridiculous what I want to know is why it seems to work ok on some but not with others? The other thing I want to know is why does RIM not seem to bother with this.

I have tonight joined twitter as done as cputoys suggested even though I promised never to use twitter. Let's hope that everyone with this issue does the same.
    05-15-12 07:59 PM
    I've been tweeting @Blackberry and @Blackberryhelp with our plea for a fix. Today I received a DM from @bbhelp:

Sent: May 17, 2012 7:32a

Ensure your software is up to date & from your PlayBook browser,go to https://t.co/dgQZ90s to access your message folder. Thank you. ^JT

sent via
    On Twitter: http://twitter.com/BlackBerryHelp/st...85646443708416

The link in the response is http://127.0.0.1:187/ the localhost workaround. I thanked him and explained that we are aware of it but are looking for a permanent fix. Keep up the pressure!
    05-17-12 09:34 AM
    I also got the same reply and when i said that the work around did not work they said to contact support. I then replied that they had not got back to me and wanted it passed on to someone who can do something about it.

Support did get back in touch and they want my logs again and said that it is a software problem but why does it work with some and not others I dont think they know what the issue is but if they claim its software then we cant claim on the warranty.

They also said that they were not aware that anyone else has this issue since the new updates.

If you have not done so already please contact them to make sure they know there more of us out there.
    05-17-12 05:24 PM
    I had a similar situation with mine. I tried everything listed here and the lock loop and flashing screen would return in short order. The problem persisted for about 3 weeks. Yesterday I did a security wipe and restore from a backup a month old on the phone, not the playbook. So far so good. I am guessing that the message corruption was on the phone and not in the playbook. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Rich
    05-25-12 02:48 PM
    Not sure if you have tried this. I changed the date on my playbook (one year back ) and the messages bridge worked fine. Go back and fubar again. Bummer.
    08-29-12 07:54 PM
73 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD