With 7.1 coming out it got me thinking that a WIFI hotspot will be added to the phone. This also made me think about the chances of the BRIDGE app functionality over wifi.

Bluetooth is limited for data transfer but WIFI would be exponentially better at data transfer.

What are the chances that when we see 7.1 that we have the option to use Bridge over WIFI as well. This would allow us to use the internet browser like we do now but at much higher data transfer speeds. Everything else in the bridge app would be better of course.

Im just thinking outside of the box a little and i really am hoping this can be done. I could see this being a "free" option as well and wouldnt have to purchase a plan from the carriers to use this.

Anyone ever thought about this or have any insight into this?
    11-09-11 08:31 AM
    Well ... connect your phone to wifi, bridge your PB ... and you're set.
    But I don't understand the final part ... if you have a wifi nearby ... just jump to it with your PB; why do you want to "bridge over wifi" ?
    (sorry, this may be a language issue, see bellow)

ooopsss ... sorry got it, stupid question. This is hotspot related ...
    11-09-11 08:42 AM
    Yes this is hotspot related with 7.1 bbos
    11-09-11 08:54 AM
    But is BT bandwidth limitation smaller than 3G+ one ?
    If not, my question was not that stupid ...
    11-09-11 09:02 AM
    i have often thought that permitting bridge over wifi would be a real advantage, hotspot in 7.1 aside. For the most part I find that the range with bridge over BT is pretty good. For example, in my house, I can leave my phone in the kitchen where it charges and still bridge very reliably from my office, family room and living room. However, the bridge gets intermittent from the second floor or outside.

However, I have three wifi APs which cover all of those areas. it would be great if the bridge app would forward the IP of the phone to the PB and vice versa for the wifi connections initially and then connect via wifi when the BT range is too great.

i realize that this may reduce the security inherent to the proximity restrictions of BT but you could still limit the bridge to the LAN and not the WAN by limiting it to the local subnet.
    11-09-11 11:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD