This app just keeps getting better, i attached some screenshots of the current 4 readers available, diplaying the same page of the same book, all in the Sepia theme, you can see from the screens that Book Reader now looks the nicest, the only thing in wich EPUB reader is better IMO is in paragraph spacing, Svit also gets this right but the app has bigger problems as you can see from the screenshots.

Also i noticed that even with page animation turned off, sometimes it requieres a double or even a triple tap for the page to turn, a small issue considering how much the app has improved with the latest updates.
    Hi,
    Version 1.1.0 will introduce a configuration parameter for paragraph spacing. You could choose one of the 3 options:
    - keep default settings as specified by the book layout
    - force reader to insert a single space (1em) before and after each paragraph
    - force reader to remove spaces between paragraphs completely.

The second problem is related to the tap zone size. I intentionally don't want to make it too big because book could have some interactive elements (links, etc) that you could press to navigate. To big tap zones will overlap too much book text and will decrease this interoperability.
    Nevertheless, tap zone is wider in new release and page turning should feel more responsive. Page turning animation should be faster as well (still work in progress). 1.1.0 should be available for download on Wednesday or Thursday.
    Regards,
    Igor
    08-23-11 06:02 PM
    How about support for DRM? I'd like to be able to check out and read books from our local library. As opposed to Kobo's/Kindles, with the PlayBook, you can do this by getting to the library site directly and downloading the book so no computer is required, however because ithere isn't a DRM supporting application on the PlayBook yet, I need to look elsewhere.
    Hi,
    The main problem with DRM is encryption of the book text and keys required to decrypt it. As far as I'm aware, Amazon does not share access to their DRM technology with 3rd party applications. Situation with Adobe's EPUB DRM is a little bit better - they have a private DRM SDK and I've applied for the license, but have not received any response from them yet.
    There are tools out there that could remove DRM protection from books, but I could not use any of those algorithms because RIM will shut down my application from the AppWorld.
    Regards,
    Igor
    mapsonburt likes this.
    08-23-11 06:07 PM
    I hope you get the license. Being able to read the ebooks from OverDrive through my library would rock. They use the Adobe DRM for EPUBs.
    08-24-11 12:54 AM
    Hi,
    The main problem with DRM is encryption of the book text and keys required to decrypt it. As far as I'm aware, Amazon does not share access to their DRM technology with 3rd party applications. Situation with Adobe's EPUB DRM is a little bit better - they have a private DRM SDK and I've applied for the license, but have not received any response from them yet.
    There are tools out there that could remove DRM protection from books, but I could not use any of those algorithms because RIM will shut down my application from the AppWorld.
    Regards,
    Igor
    I hope you succeed. I'd pay even more for a DRM enabled version. Good luck!
    08-25-11 12:42 AM
    it would be great if this app could open pdf and have bookmark feature...
    08-25-11 05:33 AM
    I have one problem - app says it supports .pdb files, but if I import some in my library, it show only the first page of the book (and it says it is 1 of 1 page). Also some letters are not displaying correctly (I know, our language in Czech republic is quite strange

Mobi files are working perfectly. But I have huuge amount of books in .pdb so thats why I ask
    08-25-11 06:29 AM
    i disagree ,
    check out my favorite rss reader for blackberry playbook Buy Web Reader - Download Web Reader - Buy Apps from BlackBerry App World
    You will love it 5 stars rating.
    That's not an ereader that's a rss reader totally different. As an ereader book reader is absolutely amazing.

- Variable font sizes (better than pre determined sizes)
    - Variable line spacing
    - display graphics in the epub if there are any
    - quick book loads & fast page turns
    - bookmarking
    - custom background color

the only thing it lacks and this is actually not that big of a deal is that it doesn't have a pretty page turn. Which is like icing on the cake, great if it has it but not a deal breaker.

If you don't have any books from Kindle or B&N and want a great epub reader then Book reader is the king.
    anon(3641385) likes this.
    08-25-11 10:45 AM
    it would be great if this app could open pdf and have bookmark feature...
    Hi,
    Bookmarks are coming in a week or two. PDFs are much harder to implement then other formats. I have a few ideas how it could be done, but could not promise that it will be implemented soon.
    08-25-11 10:39 PM
    I have one problem - app says it supports .pdb files, but if I import some in my library, it show only the first page of the book (and it says it is 1 of 1 page). Also some letters are not displaying correctly (I know, our language in Czech republic is quite strange

Mobi files are working perfectly. But I have huuge amount of books in .pdb so thats why I ask
    Hi,
    Could you send me one of such PDBs? My own library is mostly in epubs and a couple of PDBs that I have have passed the test. I'll also look into encoding problem, most probably reader sets an incorrect encoding settings for such books. BTW, I love Prague!

Regards,
    Igor
    08-25-11 10:43 PM
    I bought ePub reader for the PlayBook (it is ver 1.1) and I can't get it to work properly. On the page is the first part of the chapter, then when you turn the page to read more, it displays the first part of the next chapter! It does this for the whole book! What am I doing wrong? I have tried several books and they all behave the same. Has anyone else encountered this? HELP!
    Last edited by Gerbelpix; 08-26-11 at 12:26 AM.
    08-25-11 11:00 PM
    I bought ePub reader for the PlayBook (it is ver 1.1) and I can't get it to work properly. On the page is the first part of the chapter, then when you turn the page to read more, it displays the first part of the next chapter! It does this for the whole book! What am I doing wrong? I have tried several books and they all behave the same. Has anyone else encountered this? HELP!
    Are you turning the page by using the next button?, that button is for going to the next chapter, in EPUB reader you turn the page by tapping on the right side of the book, just make sure that the scrolling option is set to off.
    08-26-11 11:24 AM
    Are you turning the page by using the next button?, that button is for going to the next chapter, in EPUB reader you turn the page by tapping on the right side of the book, just make sure that the scrolling option is set to off.
    I don't see a "next" button. I just tap the right side of the book page and it flips to the next chapter. There is also no table of contents-just the front cover, the page with the author info and then the next page is chapter 1, the next page is chapter 2 etc.
    08-26-11 05:05 PM
    It is working fine now for me-I found a different website (epub.com) and downloaded some different books. The previous books I downloaded must have been faulty, so I deleted them. Who knew? Thanks for your help!
    08-26-11 09:15 PM
    Just installed last night, and I'm very happy with the reader in general. it failed reading one of the books but the .epub version worked great. Really liking the customize options: font, size, color, etc.

Really worth the $0.99, and I have recommended it to my playbook using friends.
    08-30-11 09:02 PM
    Just installed last night, and I'm very happy with the reader in general. it failed reading one of the books but the .epub version worked great. Really liking the customize options: font, size, color, etc.

Really worth the $0.99, and I have recommended it to my playbook using friends.
    Thank you, Tlane. If you could send the failed book, I'll take a look why it has failed to open.

Regards,
    Igor
    08-31-11 06:51 PM
    New version (1.1.1) has been submitted to the AppWorld and should be available for download by the end of this week.
    * New functionality in this release:
    � File browser navigation has changed. To return to the parent folder please tap at the first item in the file list ("..").
    � Now you could select multiple books for import from the same folder (batch import). Tap once on a file to select, tap again to deselect. When you finish book selection tap on the top right button on the ActionBar with a plus sign to start book import process.
    * Resolved issues:
    � Fixed another problem with font size selection: reader still had troubles with changing the font size for some books with embedded font instructions.
    � Fixed problem with book import when file name contains special characters such as [,],^, etc.
    � Fixed problem with book import when file name non-English characters.
    � Fixed problem with editing and applying custom theme parameters
    � Help text has been updated to reflect recent changes
    PanaSama and Foppa_21 like this.
    08-31-11 06:59 PM
    Thanks Igor, this is truly the best epub reader app for the playbook, your support has been amazing.

I've found two small issues with the latest update, first is that now that the book title appears centered on the top, it sometimes cut the text of the name of the chapter, the other one is that since the full screen option tends to modify the number of pages in a chapter, sometimes the last word or sentence of a chapter gets cut out, like if the last page consist of only one word that page gets cut out and you miss the last word, getting out of full screen mode fixes it since now the last page is a whole paragraph, its kinda difficult to explain so i hope im making any sense

I've attached a screenshot of the first issue.

Posted from my PlayBook using its amazing browser
    08-31-11 07:50 PM
    I had the same exact problem using the latest version of BookReader ver. 1.1.1

This did not work for me either. It would take you to the next chapter

I don't see a "next" button. I just tap the right side of the book page and it flips to the next chapter. There is also no table of contents-just the front cover, the page with the author info and then the next page is chapter 1, the next page is chapter 2 etc.
    EXACTLY!!!

It is working fine now for me-I found a different website (epub.com) and downloaded some different books. The previous books I downloaded must have been faulty, so I deleted them. Who knew? Thanks for your help!

The website with GOOD epub files that Gerbelpix is referring to is:

epubBooks: Free EPUB eBooks

The website I downloaded BAD epub files that did not work was:

Public Domain | Feedbooks

It would be nice if the developors of BookReader could make it work with the epub files from other sites.
    09-17-11 01:07 PM
    Hi,
    I've tried a couple of random books from the Feedbooks and I could not reproduce this problem.
    Could you give me the name of one of the books that Book Reader failed to open properly?

Thanks,
    Igor
    Untangled Development

I had the same exact problem using the latest version of BookReader ver. 1.1.1

This did not work for me either. It would take you to the next chapter

The website with GOOD epub files that Gerbelpix is referring to is:

epubBooks: Free EPUB eBooks

The website I downloaded BAD epub files that did not work was:

Public Domain | Feedbooks

It would be nice if the developors of BookReader could make it work with the epub files from other sites.
    09-20-11 08:04 PM
    Hi,
    I've tried a couple of random books from the Feedbooks and I could not reproduce this problem.
    Could you give me the name of one of the books that Book Reader failed to open properly?

Thanks,
    Igor
    Untangled Development
    Igor:

Thank you for your attention.

Try downloading from Feedbooks.com The Three Musketeers -- Dumas

Incidentally, I also encountered the same problem when downloading EPUB format books from Google Books

Try downloading The Count of Montecristo from Google
    kitty14 likes this.
    09-20-11 10:57 PM
    Hi,
    Yes, I see the problem. I'll investigate and let you know when it will be fixed.

Sorry for the inconvenience,
    Igor
    Untangled Development

Igor:

Thank you for your attention.

Try downloading from Feedbooks.com The Three Musketeers -- Dumas

Incidentally, I also encountered the same problem when downloading EPUB format books from Google Books

Try downloading The Count of Montecristo from Google
    09-21-11 08:47 PM
    Ok,
    It looks like those books have CSS that are messing around with paragraph spacing. Quick fix is to go to the Book Reader settings and switch from "Default" Paragraph spacing to either "Enable" or "Disable". This will enable the reader to re-paginate properly.
    I've checked it on ""The Count of Monte Cristo" book from Google, please let me know if the workaround works for you or not.

I'll see what I could do to fix it in the next release.

Regards,
    Igor
    Untangled Development
    Truckswain likes this.
    09-21-11 10:18 PM
    Hello Igor... I've just downloaded your reader, and from what I've seen, it looks very good. I am also very happy to see your response to any issues.

I do have one question/suggestion. Any chance you can get it to read word .doc format? Many of the thousands of books I have are in either .doc or .pdf format.

In the meantime, I will redownload Calibre, and convert, I suppose.

Thanks again for all your efforts.
    09-25-11 03:55 AM
    Hi dpdave,
    Next release will have support for TXT and FB2 file formats. After that I'm planning to add support for CHM and improve handling of big MOBI files. I'll have to take a closer look at Word format because MS has changed it a few times over the years (old format is binary, DOCX is XML).
    Do you know in which Word version your books were created (i.e., 97, 2003 or 2007-2010)?
    I definitely want to add support for PDF, but I'll have to wait until RIM will release their NDK from the beta testing.

Regards,
    Igor
    Untangled Development

Hello Igor... I've just downloaded your reader, and from what I've seen, it looks very good. I am also very happy to see your response to any issues.

I do have one question/suggestion. Any chance you can get it to read word .doc format? Many of the thousands of books I have are in either .doc or .pdf format.

In the meantime, I will redownload Calibre, and convert, I suppose.

Thanks again for all your efforts.
    09-25-11 08:46 PM
    Hello Igor

I've downloaded your reader over the weekend and I love it, page turning was little slow, but then i turned off page turn animation and its working like a charm, takes a while to turn orientatoin when i turn my playbook around, other than that fantastic, keep up the good work

Request, add pdf to the list of files, i have some pdf book but i dont like adobe reader on playbook
    09-26-11 12:21 PM
784 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD