Anyone hear or know if they plan to make this app available for the PB? Sure would come in handy if ever lost and for backing up files.
    01-15-12 08:56 AM
    Cant you just use the DM via a usb cable and back it up that way? Pretty sure I did mine last week, along with my 9810. The only thing BBP wont do is locate the PB if its lost.
    01-15-12 09:41 AM
    I believe we've heard that it will be available, but I'm wondering if they are still trying to figure out how to pay for it, or at least whether they can get some money out of it for WiFi-only users. With the phones it's part of the infrastructure you monthly fees pay for, but obviously on the PlayBook that's not the case.
    01-15-12 09:49 AM
    I was unaware that Blackberry protect cost anything, I thought it was free. Not that I lose anything ....but just in case, it would be a nice app for my PlayBook.
    01-15-12 10:00 AM
    I was unaware that Blackberry protect cost anything, I thought it was free. Not that I lose anything ....but just in case, it would be a nice app for my PlayBook.
    It doesn't cost you directly, but that doesn't mean you're not paying for it.

It would be nice to have, and I'm sure we'll see it available soon, and RIM may even decide that it makes business sense for them to offer it for free to all PlayBook owners.

(I hope so, and actually suspect they will, but they haven't said yet.)
    01-15-12 11:00 AM
    But the info is not really kept on the PB, is it?
    It's only bridged to the PB. It's stored on the device, which has BB protect.
    Would it be necessary to have it on the PB as well, since it focuses on emails and texts?

I think DM does a better job for backing up PB, no?
    01-15-12 11:14 AM
    cntrydncr223, only the information shown through the Bridge apps are kept on the phone.

All the other data, including everything the new "native" PIM will manage, will be kept on the PlayBook. And of course you can use a PlayBook without having a BlackBerry phone, so clearly relying on the phone's Protect isn't going to work in most cases anyway.

Also, BlackBerry Protect provides several things more than just cloud backup capability. There's the "find device" feature (using GPS), the "remote wipe" and "remote lock" capabilities, and one or two others.
    01-15-12 02:20 PM
    the remote lock and wipe are the huge two features for me when it came to BB Protect and to bring those to the PB would be great. what would also be interesting if they made an app to kind of link the PB to a BB. say your BB gets lost/stolen and you want to use protect to lock/wipe it. instead of going to BBs site your PB would have an app to do the same things that he site would and vice versa....just a thought
    Last edited by JAGWIRE; 01-15-12 at 04:55 PM.
    01-15-12 04:53 PM
    Cant you just use the DM via a usb cable and back it up that way? Pretty sure I did mine last week, along with my 9810. The only thing BBP wont do is locate the PB if its lost.
    The whole point of BBcProtect is not having to worry about doing backups and being able to do it wirelessly.

I'm sure we'll see it eventually, since QNX will hit the phones this year and RIM will have to move its app basr to the new OS.
    01-15-12 10:20 PM
    cntrydncr223, only the information shown through the Bridge apps are kept on the phone.

All the other data, including everything the new "native" PIM will manage, will be kept on the PlayBook. And of course you can use a PlayBook without having a BlackBerry phone, so clearly relying on the phone's Protect isn't going to work in most cases anyway.

Also, BlackBerry Protect provides several things more than just cloud backup capability. There's the "find device" feature (using GPS), the "remote wipe" and "remote lock" capabilities, and one or two others.
    Thank you so much for the info. Clearly, I had my mind on emails and the like (good thing I wasn't driving).
    01-15-12 11:18 PM
    I wonder if this is included under the "PlayBook Admin Service" concept that's being mentioned in various blog sites as part of the next year's worth of stuff coming out of RIM. Targetted for this summer... whatever it is.
    01-16-12 03:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD